Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature question

Hi,

Just got my Harmony Elite and have everything set up.
    Have now connected MeiHarmonyHub plugin to HS3 and everything works great so far.

I just have a quick question.
    Is it possible to control a HS3 device, or event, with the buttons on the bottom of the controller?

It would be nice if the wife could lower the outside screens(controlled in HS3) with the remote.

It is possible, but not without additional hardware, AFAIK,

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
      It is possible, but not without additional hardware, AFAIK,

What kind of hardware is this then?

Comment

In my case (and a few others that I have seen) it is an IR receiver. It may also be possible to do it using Logitech's Z-Wave Plus Hub Extender.

Comment

Method 1:
          You can do this without extra hardware. You will need to use the BWS ha-bridge installed somewhere (https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge) it allows you to "add" virtual devices to your harmony remote under the guise of Hue deveces.

in ha-bridge, you set URLs to HS3 to control the devices how you want (There are posts on this, I"ll have to see if I can dig them up).

Note: You don't need my plugin to this. this is all handled outside of the plugin.

Note 2: You can only control devices with the "Home automation" buttons on the remote.

Method 2:
          You get a flirc IR sensor and train it with a generic remote from the Harmony. You can then use Jon00s Flirc plugin (https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...-of-homeseer-3) to accept commands and have HS3 react to those IR commands

Note: You don't need my plugin to do this. This is all handled outside of the plugin

Note 2. You can NOT control devices with the "Home Automation" buttons on the remote.

*Home Automation buttons = the 4 small buttons with dots and the one +/- one.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
            In my case (and a few others that I have seen) it is an IR receiver. It may also be possible to do it using Logitech's Z-Wave Plus Hub Extender.
            (emphasis added by me)

The Hub extender has been discontinued (unfortunately) and only allows controls of z-wave or zigbee devices. You could add those devices to the Hub Extender instead of HS3, but you wouldn't have control in HS3. My plugin can control those devices, but I have never released that portion as I feel it is in low demand and I am slowly adding support for the other devices the hub can control (Nest thermostat, Ecobee thermostat, Philips Hue, smart things, etc).

I bought one of the extenders and I think it's too bad they cancelled them. I think they had potential, but Logitech didn't give it the attention it needed.

Comment

More info on using ha-bridge with HS (even though it says EU/UK, it should work just as well anywhere I believe)

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...rol-of-devices

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                Method 1:
                You can do this without extra hardware. You will need to use the BWS ha-bridge installed somewhere (https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge) it allows you to "add" virtual devices to your harmony remote under the guise of Hue deveces.

in ha-bridge, you set URLs to HS3 to control the devices how you want (There are posts on this, I"ll have to see if I can dig them up).

Note: You don't need my plugin to this. this is all handled outside of the plugin.

Note 2: You can only control devices with the "Home automation" buttons on the remote.

Method 2:
                You get a flirc IR sensor and train it with a generic remote from the Harmony. You can then use Jon00s Flirc plugin (https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...-of-homeseer-3) to accept commands and have HS3 react to those IR commands

Note: You don't need my plugin to do this. This is all handled outside of the plugin

Note 2. You can NOT control devices with the "Home Automation" buttons on the remote.

*Home Automation buttons = the 4 small buttons with dots and the one +/- one.
                Frank,

Regarding Method 2 Note 2, on my Harmony Elite, I can assign IR to the Home Automation buttons and using it extensively with FLIRC.
                Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

Frank,

Regarding Method 2 Note 2, on my Harmony Elite, I can assign IR to the Home Automation buttons and using it extensively with FLIRC.
                  Ok...so that's new! They used to limit them to only Home Automation devices! Thanks for the correction

Comment

I have been using Method One for many years and it works. I run it on the same HS3 server. It cost nothing and requires no extra hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X