Root devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root devices

I think this story is part bug, part feature request, so I'm just going to lay it all out here...

Once or twice on my old system I found I'd have duplicate hub devices and my original ones would be out of sync with the hub actions. I could always identify them because they had the plugin name as location 1 and location 2. But I also noticed I had 1 or 2 (usually 2) extra "Root" devices not associated with a hub. I ran into this issue while setting up my new server, so I cleared out everything and documented what I saw, and added notes about what I'd rather see instead or what I didn't understand or thought might be a bug.

So here's how it went:

Step 1 - Add a hub
    Result: one new MeiHarmony Root device in the "MeiHarmonyHub" location 1 and "MeiHarmonyHub" location 2
    Feature request: allow dropdown choices of Location 1 and Location 2 defined in system on a per-hub basis.

Step 2 - Enable the hub
    Result: one new "Connected" Root device with the proper name in the "MeiHarmonyHub" location 1 and "MeiHarmonyHub" location 2 AND the original "MeiHarmony Root" device that was created in Step 1.
    Bug? Either Don't create a root device if it's not enabled (preferred) or create it with the proper name and reuse it when enabled.

Step 3 - Delete the original "MeiHarmony" root device that doesn't seem to do anything.

Step 4 - Change location 1/location 2 to match my scheme on the root device
    Result: one "Connected" Root device with the proper name in the "Audio/Video" location 1 and "Media Room" location 2 (in my case)

Step 5 - Turn on Activities & Devices
    Result: one "Connected" Root device with the proper name in the "Audio/Video" location 1 and "Media Room" location 2 (in my case) AND new devices for activities and devices in the "MeiHarmonyHub" location 1 and "MeiHarmonyHub" location 2
    Bug? Always use the location 1/location 2 of the root device when creating any children

Step 6 - Change location 1/location 2 to match my scheme on all the newly created devices
    Result: one "Connected" Root device with the proper name in the "Audio/Video" location 1 and "Media Room" location 2 (in my case) AND devices for activities and devices in the same locations

Step 7 - Add a Voice Control Configuration
    Request: This step does at least let you set custom locations, but would be nice if these were a dropdown list.
    Result: one "Connected" Root device with the proper name in the "Audio/Video" location 1 and "Media Room" location 2 (in my case) AND devices for activities and devices in the same locations AND a new control device in the same location.

No true complaints, just observations of the experience I had. Thanks for keeping this plugin going through all the recent challenges - it's one of my family's favorites

The "MeiHarmony Root" root device is not for a "hub". It's the plugin's root device. I used to use it to store the plugin's configs in it (PED) for tracking all the actual hubs (and then store hub specific information in the actual hub's root' PED). I will see if i can remove this device, but for now, you should not delete it. It will just be recreated on the next time the plugin starts up as it expect it to be there.
    MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
      The "MeiHarmony Root" root device is not for a "hub". It's the plugin's root device. I used to use it to store the plugin's configs in it (PED) for tracking all the actual hubs and general settings (and then store hub specific information in the actual hub's root' PED). I will see if i can remove this device, but for now, you should not delete it. It will just be recreated on the next time the plugin starts up as it expect it to be there.
      added the bolded part there.

Step 5: I always default the location 1 and 2 to "MeiHarmonyHub". It doesn't base it off of anything else. I will see about adding that as an option. On a per hub basis might be tricky, but doable.

I will take the observations into consideration Studying for an Azure cert, spinning up some new plugins and work is a bear (plus the family). but I should find time to add that stuff in the coming weeks

MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

added the bolded part there.

Step 5: I always default the location 1 and 2 to "MeiHarmonyHub". It doesn't base it off of anything else. I will see about adding that as an option. On a per hub basis might be tricky, but doable.

I will take the observations into consideration Studying for an Azure cert, spinning up some new plugins and work is a bear (plus the family). but I should find time to add that stuff in the coming weeks
        Ah, that explains why I had multiple. IMHO, general settings do better in the config file. No rush at all, just suggestions to make a great plugin even better for my personal user experience

Comment

Yeah I no longer use ped. I store all my settings in Json files loaded at startup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

That's not true. I store some strings in named ped.

MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

That's not true. I store some strings in named ped.

Good to know. I wonder if it was fixed in newer versions? We've come a long way with mono versions!

Comment

Working...
              X