This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harmony Hub and Ubiquiti Unifi Access Points - Getting local access to work

If you have stumbled on to this thread then you may be looking for a solution to the Logitech Harmony Hubs losing local access on your Unifi network. When this happens the MeiHarmony plugin can't connect to the hub and the plugin throws connection errors. You will know you are having this specific issue if the Android app or iOS app thinks the hub is in AWAY mode even though you are at home on the same network as the hub. There have been discussions about long power cycles but this did not fix the problem for me. And there are similar issues with iRobot Roombas.

This is a known problem and has to do with broadcast messages being blocked by the Unifi controller. There are several posts on the Ubiquiti forums on this problem:

https://community.ui.com/questions/U...f-4c29188bcbe3

Turns out that the Harmony Hubs needs to be able to broadcast and by default Unifi APs block broadcast messages. The simple solution is to turn broadcast blocking off. In the Unifi control set up, in the Site settings, there is an option called Auto-optimize Network. Make sure this is turned off. (see attachment).

Another HomeSeer user MNB (Mike) was having the same issues. This is what he did and it fixed a couple of his problems:

1) Turned off "Auto-Optimize Network" within the site settings,
    2) Within the affected Wireless Network(s) turned off "Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data",
    3) Went to the Client list and performed a "Reconnect" on all of my affected devices, in my case it was both Harmony Hubs and Roomba's,
    4) Went to the HomeSeer PC and performed ping -t 192.168.1.X (Harmony hub) and eureka! I now have ping-able WiFi devices!
    And another user RGMessick a lso had similar issues: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/au...24#post1309424

Make sure you hub firmware is up to date (4.1.5.250 as of this date), and that you have enabled XMPP (in the Harmony app: Harmony Setup -> Add/Edit Devices & Activities -> Remote / Keyboard & Hub -> Enable XMPP. Prior to 4.15.250 you needed to load up special firmware, but as of 250 this is now an option that can be enabled/disabled.

Also, if you are using the Harmony desktop software check that you have the latest version. I don't think it updates automatically, so you may need to download and re-install it. This will allow you to update the firmware to 250 if it has not happened automatically.

Hope this saves you some time. I spent several days trying to fix this and even rebuilt the Hub from a factory reset to no avail. Should have done some more searching before spending so much time on it.

Marty

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-06-22.png Views:	50 Size:	730.3 KB ID:	1311819
    iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Thanks for this I'm gonna sticky this

Comment

Is this an ad?

Comment

Originally posted by ttantalol View Post
        Is this an ad?
        What? Not sure what you are getting at. Unifi is a networking hardware system from Ubiquiti. I have nothing to do with Ubiquiti other than being an owner of some Unifi gear.

This thread is just to provide some advice for people having problems with the Harmony plugin who might be using Unifi gear. I think this is pretty obvious from the post.

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Sorry not sure what this has to do with basic errors in your plugin. Most people don't use unify. And no need to get snippy just trying to limit the errors from the plugin.

Comment

ttantalol XD. You’ll always find ways to make me laugh. Thanks for being such a troll , that made my day, again

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
              ttantalol XD. You’ll always find ways to make me laugh. Thanks for being such a troll , that made my day, again
              Any advice on the errors this plugin generates for those who do not use unify? Seems your the troll for accusing others of being a troll.

Comment

The advice has already be given.... a lot of time.. chek your network ! Changing the wifi channel is not enough.

The op was not off topic at all. This was a specific solution ...versus a general solution. So, it seems like your comment was off topic ...and saying it was an add was the thing that made me laugh). If you want a solution to your problem create another thread, and describe your setup as best as you can.

I know you have some problem with wifi and harmony . On my side they went away when i added another access point ( I am in a basement with lots of interference like ventilation docs...). So ...

-Try to move your router to another position, or buy a better router.
                -Maybe try different positions for your harmony hubs ... and use the 1.8 wire ir extender near your equipment
                - Or buy a mesh wifi system
                -or buy another access point.

Comment

Originally posted by ttantalol View Post
                  Sorry not sure what this has to do with basic errors in your plugin. Most people don't use unify. And no need to get snippy just trying to limit the errors from the plugin.
                  First of all, this is not my post, I didn't even respond to your post about "is this an ad?" because you obviously missed the point that this post was for people who use Logitech Harmony Hubs AND UniFi equipment. For some reason you decided to jump in and make a "snippy" comment because you for some reason just didn't get that.

I did sticky the post because it can be very helpful for those that use both.

As to the errors in the plugins. Unfortunately Logitech put in crappy wifi cards and didn't add an Ethernet option (I even tried using an Ethernet over USB adapter with power injection to no avail, such as you'd use on a fire stick/tv or chromecast). So yeah, a lot of issues arise because of network issues. Logitech didn't intend the XMPP or even their WebSocket connections to be used 24/7, though those technologies can be used in that fashion. Perhaps this is why they didn't care about the crappy wifi interfaced they installed, or they are just cheaping out to make a few extra cents.

Comment

sirmeili Don't let this guy wind you up. Ttantalol's post history speaks for itself. Mostly nonsense one line posts, or cryptic complaints. Not contributing to the HS community in a constructive manner. Probably just trying to get his post count up. Or maybe some things are just lost in translation. Eitherway...not wasting anymore time on this guy as he is not helpful.

The good news is that since disabling the broadcast blocking on my Unifi gear, as this is what this thread relates to, I have had no connection errors with the plugin. It's all working well. We run "Off" macro via your plugin as part of our 'good night' scene for example.

So good work on the plugin which is working well. And I agree about Logitech hardware. A lot of it looks good on the outside but is not so good on the inside. Their support leaves a lot to be desired of too. Keep it up and don't be disheartened by the trolls.

Marty.

Comment

There is one more place where blocking multicast and UDP traffic can be enabled/disabled ... It's under the wireless network settings. See image below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	unifi.png
Views:	3399
Size:	580.7 KB
ID:	1313916

--Barry

Comment

this is real magic.
                        Attached Files

Comment

A prisoner is told "If you tell a lie we will hang you; if you tell the truth we will shoot you." What can he say to save himself?

Answer: You will hang me.

Comment

I have all UniFi gear. I’ve followed the posts here and already had Optimize and Blocking unchecked. Today we had a short period of time where our Internet went down and I noticed continuous error connections to our hubs in the log. Any other ideas?
                            Michael

Comment

Rvtravlr Just to clarify.......do you mean that the HS log reported errors from the Harmony plugin, with the hub on the same LAN, when your WAN connection went down? Or do you mean errors in the Unifi controller logs? Maybe sirmelli can help, but I wouldn't think the plugin needs at WAN connection to talk to the hub on the same LAN. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the Hub itself had a hissy fit when it lost the WAN connection. But the hub is supposed to be capable of stand alone opertaion once set up.

Maybe enable debug logging in the plugin and see if you can see what the problem is?

Or disconnect your WAN and see if you can still ping the hub, which effectively takes HS and the plugin out of the diagnostic process as you are using a PC to ping the hub directly.

Also, did you try the 'reconnect' option in the client list on the Unifi controller?

If you are still having this problem I could try some tests for you by unplugging my WAN port on the USG and seeing what HS and the plugin do.

M

Comment

Working...
                              X