Any way to speak commands without having to say "Alexa, tell homeseer to"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any way to speak commands without having to say "Alexa, tell homeseer to"

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to fix it to where rather thay saying "Alexa, tell Homeseer to turn on living room TV" to just saying "Alexa, turn on living room TV"?? Is this even possible? It's kind of clunky to have to say all that. Thanks folks!

You simply need to use the other Smart Home Skill. Use the HomeSeer SmartHome Skill.
    https://homeseer.com/amazon-alexa-integration/
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

You could also go through IFTTT if you would like custom command phrases. You still have to use "Alexa Trigger" before the phrase, but anything after that can be programmed (even obscene commands). IFTTT operates so that when it receives that phrase from Alexa, it fires off a specified Homeseer event.

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
        You could also go through IFTTT if you would like custom command phrases. You still have to use "Alexa Trigger" before the phrase, but anything after that can be programmed (even obscene commands). IFTTT operates so that when it receives that phrase from Alexa, it fires off a specified Homeseer event.
        You can do this without using the slow IFTTT service by changing your voice commands as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

You can do this without using the slow IFTTT service by changing your voice commands as well.
          True, and one less service. But my Alexa (Echo) microphones are much better positioned (and better microphones as well) than my Homeseer microphones.

I rarely notice any slowdown.

Comment

True, and one less service. But my Alexa (Echo) microphones are much better positioned (and better microphones as well) than my Homeseer microphones.

I rarely notice any slowdown.
            There are HomeSeer microphones?

Jim Speiser
            38-year veteran of Home Automation
            Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post

There are HomeSeer microphones?
              Not really. HomeSeer has its' own built in voice control. It is possible (and some HomeSeer users have done it) to place microphones around your house and pipe them into HomeSeer for voice control. There is at least one extensive post on how someone used microphones placed around the house and some sort of mixer to pipe the voice into HomeSeer.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

Not really. HomeSeer has its' own built in voice control. It is possible (and some HomeSeer users have done it) to place microphones around your house and pipe them into HomeSeer for voice control. There is at least one extensive post on how someone used microphones placed around the house and some sort of mixer to pipe the voice into HomeSeer.
                Yea, since the proliferation of the Amazon and Google Home devices the HS3/Microsoft VR has all but died as the Alexa type devices work so much better with absolutely no training whereas using the Microsoft VR engine takes a ton of training and is never as accurate as the Alexa type devices. I wouldn't be surprised if the Microsoft VR is removed from HS as time moves on.

Comment

jonjonbear You could use both skills if you want. I can say "Alexa, turn on the TV" as is. If I want more functionality I use the HomeSeer home automation skill with Jon's helper. I can say "Alexa, tell homeseer to turn on the TV". Using the helper will then respond with "What channel would you like?" I then tell it some number, and it changes the channel to whatever I want after it turns the TV on.

Robert
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                    jonjonbear You could use both skills if you want. I can say "Alexa, turn on the TV" as is. If I want more functionality I use the HomeSeer home automation skill with Jon's helper. I can say "Alexa, tell homeseer to turn on the TV". Using the helper will then respond with "What channel would you like?" I then tell it some number, and it changes the channel to whatever I want after it turns the TV on.

Robert
                    Wow...that's pretty neat!

Comment

You can also incorporate the IFTTT call into an Alexa "routine", thereby doing away with the "trigger"...trigger. For example, I now just say, "Alexa, I'm shaving" and she responds "Mazel tov, I'll call CNN" and then calls an IFTTT which calls a HomeSeer event to turn up the lights in my bathroom.

Jim Speiser
                      Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post

You can also incorporate the IFTTT call into an Alexa "routine", thereby doing away with the "trigger"...trigger. For example, I now just say, "Alexa, I'm shaving" and she responds "Mazel tov, I'll call CNN" and then calls an IFTTT which calls a HomeSeer event to turn up the lights in my bathroom.
                        One thing I like about Alexa is that it is always improving. This is a somewhat recent addition. But it does allow a better customized phrasing.

Comment

i use amazon echocontrol from openhab and transfert the lastvoicecommand sting to homeseer via http. https://community.openhab.org/t/rele...-binding/37844

( i do some modification via nodered in between.
                          Attached Files

Comment

One thing I like about Alexa is that it is always improving. This is a somewhat recent addition. But it does allow a better customized phrasing.
                            What customized phrasing? My Alexa was programmed by a Borsht Belt comedian!

Jim Speiser
                            Still don't know squat

Comment

Working...
                            X