Harmony Companion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harmony Companion

I think I'm confused on the purpose of the harmony companion. I have a Harmony hub elite, I wanted to add an extra remote to the same hub. I saw the harmony companion with a hub and I purchase it. Two questions:
    It looks like that the companion needs to be setup with another hub and not the same hub, Am I correct?
    When I try to setup the companion with the other hub, the app is telling me to insert the control in the cradle but this is a companion control with an internal battery. What am I missing?

Note, if I can not use the companion on the same hub, I have another tv downstairs that I could use it for. If so, what additional remote would you suggest for the other tv?

Thanks

Hi Aldo,

You can use the Harmony app to add a second remote to an existing hub. It's in what I consider a stupid place in the app. First switch to the hub where you want to add the remote. Then, tap the "3 lines" in the upper-left of the app, then tap on "Harmony Upgrade", and finally tap on "Add Remote". Tap on "Add Now" and follow the instructions to pair the second remote with the hub. Now both your Elite and the Companion remote will control the same hub. Pack the "extra" hub away as a spare or set it up to be controlled from the plugin only without using a remote. The hub in my office is controlled with HSTouch through the plugin without a remote.

Hope this helps,
    Ken
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Ken, thank you, life safer. Logitech made it very intuitive :-(
      In regards to the other hub, I like your idea to use only the hub and control it via the app or this plugin, unfortunately another very intuitive setup, it is asking to place the harmony remote in the cradle, how do I bypass it?

Thanks again,
      Aldo

Comment

Hi Aldo,

It sounds like you might have already tried using the companion remote with that hub prior to setting it up. Did you remove the plastic battery isolator from the companion remote while the companion hub was booted? Now that you have the remote paired with your Elite hub, the original hub is probably trying to find its own, factory paired remote which is why it's asking you to put it in the cradle. Try performing a factory reset on the companion hub by unplugging it and holding the pair/reset button on the back while plugging it back in. Wait 30 seconds for the hub to reset and restore its factory defaults and then try adding it again.

Hope this helps,
        Ken
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
        X