Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Control Homeseer devices from Harmony remote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control Homeseer devices from Harmony remote?

Hi,

It doesn't seem to be possible according to the documentation, but I wanted to check with you guys.

Can we control Homeseer devices (lights/screens) from the Harmony remote with this plugin (or otherwise?)?

Do you have a Global Cache device? You can control everything with a GCxx and a GC-IRE.
    I have the GC-100 but I assume the iTach devices are the same.

All you do is add a new device in the Harmony remote, something you don't really have and something with a lot of commands.
    I used a yamaha a/v receiver. TONS of IR commands.
    Name the device "Homeseer" or whatever makes it recognizable to you.
    Then "learn" a command in the GC plugin, assign an event to it and it works.

Comment

No unfortunately I dont have one of those devices.

I've previously "hacked" this with sending a custom command to a Windows machine that then sends a json to Homeseer. It was not an elegant solution, with a lot of delay unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Fredrick View Post
        No unfortunately I dont have one of those devices.

I've previously "hacked" this with sending a custom command to a Windows machine that then sends a json to Homeseer. It was not an elegant solution, with a lot of delay unfortunately.
        If you still have this setup, have you tried this?
        Jon

Comment

Hey Jon,

I still have the setup, but I haven't tried your solution. My hack was with Autohotkey sending json-commands to Homeseer. So I guess the solution was somewhat similar.

This was however for the basement where I run Windows on a Intel NUC as the media center. For the living room we've got a Raspberry running Libreelec as the media center, and it has a more limited range of possibilities.

It's a shame Logitech limits the API and documentation of their Harmony system :/

Comment

Originally posted by Fredrick View Post
            Hey Jon,

I still have the setup, but I haven't tried your solution. My hack was with Autohotkey sending json-commands to Homeseer. So I guess the solution was somewhat similar.

This was however for the basement where I run Windows on a Intel NUC as the media center. For the living room we've got a Raspberry running Libreelec as the media center, and it has a more limited range of possibilities.

It's a shame Logitech limits the API and documentation of their Harmony system :/
            It should be a lot quicker as the plugin has a direct connection to Homeseer and in my setup is almost instantaneous.
            Jon

Comment

Thats cool, but it's not a solution for the living room without the Windows machine

Comment

Well. I found a solution, even though it wasnt as satisfying as I'd hoped.

In Kodi (Media Center running on LibreElec OS) I can edit keymap.xml to make various button presses do what I want. It also has the capability to run scripts it turns out. So I added this short script to control Homeseer devices via JSON:
                Code:
                import urllib2
                contents = urllib2.urlopen("http://192.168.1.85:27951/JSON?request=controldevicebyvalue&ref=1032&value=99").read()
                (Setting the device ref 1032 to value 99).

What was sort of disappointing is the Harmony remote has dedicated smart home buttons like this:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	698
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	1372448

They are limited in the Harmony setup to only be programmeable to supported "Home Control" devices - i.e. smart devices added to the Harmony app.

Thats a shame, but I guess I figured the technical solution out and learned a few things along the way

Comment

Read this thread which discusses mapping the smart home control buttons directly to home seer devices. https://forums.homeseer.com/mobiquo/...hp?pid=1242754

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                    Read this thread which discusses mapping the smart home control buttons directly to home seer devices. https://forums.homeseer.com/mobiquo/...hp?pid=1242754

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                    Wow thats awesome, thanks for the link

I've been able to add a testlight to Harmony now. It doesn't seem to register as a "Home Control" device, so not sure why I cant bind it to a home control button on the remote, but I'm much closer to my goal now!

Comment

The method I found is far simpler--and far less capable--than the above options. I already had an actual Hue bridge (not an emulator) and some Hue lights that I've been using with Homeseer/JowieHue. I also added the Hue Bridge as a device in my Harmony Hub. Next I set up a small number of Hue scenes directly on the Hue using the Philips app on my phone. Those scenes then get imported into the Harmony Hub and are controllable from my Harmony Ultimate One remote (via touchscreen buttons). Each scene button basically just sets one of my Hue bulbs to a certain specific brightness level (1 - 254). I can then monitor that bulb with HS/JowieHue and trigger events when it changes to a particular brightness value.

It's not much but it didn't require me to purchase any other hardware or software and it does provide some crude "Homeseer" buttons in my Harmony remote.

Comment

Working...
                      X