Change TV channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change TV channels

Not sure where to start. Since last week, I was able to change channels via Alexa, now it is complaining that I need a video skill. I never understood how it would change the channels in the first place, so I'm lost on how to fix it. Is it something that I can do with this great plugin?

sirmeili, is possible to use Alexa with your plugin to change TV stations, volume, activities and etc?

Comment

Yes, the plugin can do all those things, though you may have to create some events. If your only real interest is using Alexa, I suspect you would be better served by looking into the Harmony skill for Alexa.

Comment

Thank you Joegr, would you be ok sharing some example of those events, especially how to chan ge the channels. Thank you

Comment

I have events to turn tv and surround sound on and off and to set to the local news channel in the morning, and so on. However, for voice control I use Alexa skills to more directly control the dish receiver, fire stick, and so on (via skills).

Are you really just wanting voice control, or are you wanting to add more automation than that? One of the automations that I added that I like best is an automatic sleep feature. If there are no remote control inputs and no room motion for a long enough time, an event sends a warning such as turning a cabinet light off or a noise maker on. If there is still no response, another event turns the tv, receiver, surround sound amp, and whatever else off. Of course, this does require an IR receiver device and motion sensors, as well as the Harmony Hub.

Comment

I was curious on what you were doing with your events but right now I'm trying to figure out where to look to fix the issue that I'm having where before I was able to say "Alexa change channel to 504" but now it does not work anymore.

Comment

What device is turning to channel 504 for you? (Cable box, TV, DirectTV box, Dish Box, ...)

Comment

Cable box

Comment

Your best bet probably is to get the Alexa skill for that cable box. You possibly already have it, and the cable company may have changed something such that Alexa needs to be relinked to your cable account for it to work again.

Comment

Thank you, your help was greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X