Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

questions from new user

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    questions from new user

    Hello, I am trying out your plugin with the Harmony Elite hub. I am in trial mode.

    1. I cannot seem to update the plug-in to the most current version 3.1.0.18 from version .16 I go through the normal procedure to update a plug-in, it acts like it is updated, but, in fact, the version stays at .16

    2. I am more interested in using the Harmony remote to control HS3 through the hub than in using HS3 to control my AV equipment. Is control of my events and devices in HS3 a purpose of the plug-in? It is not clear to me how to get started with that, it seems most of the settings concern the AV equipment.

    3. Do I need to get a "Harmony media extender hub" in addition to the hub that comes with the Harmony elite to use the Harmony remote to control my devices in HS3 or is this what the plug-in does?

    Like I said, I am just getting started with your plug-in and would appreciate pointers on how to get going with using the Harmony remote to control events and other (non-AV) devices in HS3.

    Thanks, Ricky

    #2
    1) I thought I had that fixed. I think .19 is in the beta section. Try that one.

    2) This can be done, sort of. The plugin allows you to control devices and turn on activiites. At the same time the plugin is notified that when activities are started/stopped. It can't however tell what buttons you press on the buttons.

    3) The extender was for controlling zigbee (and I think z-wave) devices. While I have considered adding support for this (I have an extender) it again won't allow control of the hub via HS as far as I'm aware.
    MeiAutomtion Home

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Ricky View Post
      2. I am more interested in using the Harmony remote to control HS3 through the hub than in using HS3 to control my AV equipment. Is control of my events and devices in HS3 a purpose of the plug-in? It is not clear to me how to get started with that, it seems most of the settings concern the AV equipment.
      Have you looked into HA-Bridge? (https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge).

      If you are familiar with a Raspberry Pis then this is pretty easy to set up. You can control Homeseer device with JSON commands from within HA-Bridge. It's java based so you might also be able to set it up in a Windows environment.

      I have this setup so that I can use the 'Home Control' buttons (at the bottom of the Elite remote) to control lights and blinds in our living room.

      I'm not at home for a while but if you want more help with this then I can help you later next week.

      M
      iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

      BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
        2) This can be done, sort of. The plugin allows you to control devices and turn on activiites. At the same time the plugin is notified that when activities are started/stopped. It can't however tell what buttons you press on the buttons.
        Could you explain how to turn on a HS3 device, say a light and dim it, using the controls at the bottom of the Harmony elite remote?

        Thanks

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by mminehan View Post

          Have you looked into HA-Bridge? (https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge).

          If you are familiar with a Raspberry Pis then this is pretty easy to set up. You can control Homeseer device with JSON commands from within HA-Bridge. It's java based so you might also be able to set it up in a Windows environment.

          I have this setup so that I can use the 'Home Control' buttons (at the bottom of the Elite remote) to control lights and blinds in our living room.

          I'm not at home for a while but if you want more help with this then I can help you later next week.

          M
          Thank you for this idea. This does sound like what I am looking, for, but I am not at all familiar with a Pi nor do I program with Java. Perhaps I am not the right end user for this idea?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Ricky View Post

            Thank you for this idea. This does sound like what I am looking, for, but I am not at all familiar with a Pi nor do I program with Java. Perhaps I am not the right end user for this idea?
            I ran HA-Bridge on my Windows 10 HS3 box for years for exactly this use case - to allow the Harmony Hub home control buttons to control devices in HS3. It's not technically challenging. You can run the java jar file from a command prompt. I ran it as a service with AlwaysUp, just like I run HS3.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Ricky View Post

              Thank you for this idea. This does sound like what I am looking, for, but I am not at all familiar with a Pi nor do I program with Java. Perhaps I am not the right end user for this idea?
              You don't have to do any java programming. You just have to have a system to run it, either a Pi or as mterry63 says a windows machine. The only thing that requires a little tweaking is the JSON commands. But you will find 100s of threads on these forums on how to do that.

              Do a search for 'HA-Bridge' on these forums and you will find enough to get you started. Here's one: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...rol-of-devices

              M
              iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

              BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by mterry63 View Post

                I ran HA-Bridge on my Windows 10 HS3 box for years for exactly this use case - to allow the Harmony Hub home control buttons to control devices in HS3. It's not technically challenging. You can run the java jar file from a command prompt. I ran it as a service with AlwaysUp, just like I run HS3.
                Right, but if you don’t know the terminology, it is a new language. I do not know what an “HA-bridge” is, what the “java jar file” refers to, what “always up” is. I will search for these terms, but, Is there an introduction somewhere that connects all the dots that are needed to make it happen?


                Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

                Comment


                  #9
                  The forum topic linked in post #7 does a good job of the basics of setting this up. Have you read through that? It's 8 pages of dialog.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Ricky View Post

                    Right, but if you don’t know the terminology, it is a new language. I do not know what an “HA-bridge” is, what the “java jar file” refers to, what “always up” is. I will search for these terms, but, Is there an introduction somewhere that connects all the dots that are needed to make it happen?


                    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    You will need to a little bit of work yourself. Reading the links I posted in #3 and #7 is a good start.
                    iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

                    BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by mminehan View Post

                      You will need to a little bit of work yourself. Reading the links I posted in #3 and #7 is a good start.
                      Will do!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I’m in the same boat as Ricky.. just got a Harmony hub and Flirc.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Ricky View Post

                          Could you explain how to turn on a HS3 device, say a light and dim it, using the controls at the bottom of the Harmony elite remote?

                          Thanks
                          I do this via an event. For instance when I turn on any activity in the living room, I turn on the ceiling fan (Because my family always wants the fan on when in that room).

                          So I do:
                          IF Hub: Living Room: MeiHarmonyHub Activity: Living Room Activities is starting Any Activity
                          Then
                          Set Device Living Room Ceiling Fan On to On
                          MeiAutomtion Home

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by sirmeili View Post

                            I do this via an event. For instance when I turn on any activity in the living room, I turn on the ceiling fan (Because my family always wants the fan on when in that room).

                            So I do:
                            IF Hub: Living Room: MeiHarmonyHub Activity: Living Room Activities is starting Any Activity
                            Then
                            Set Device Living Room Ceiling Fan On to On
                            I understand using the harmony hub as a trigger for HS3 events, that appears to be how the plug in is designed.

                            What I would like to do is use the Harmony remote to turn on and off say a specific light bulb directly and adjust its level, without starting an audio/visual activity or event. Can that be done?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Ricky View Post

                              I understand using the harmony hub as a trigger for HS3 events, that appears to be how the plug in is designed.

                              What I would like to do is use the Harmony remote to turn on and off say a specific light bulb directly and adjust its level, without starting an audio/visual activity or event. Can that be done?
                              As mentioned previously this can be done with HA-Bridge and then programming the Logitech Harmony to use the devices you set up in HA-Bridge.

                              Have you setup HA-Bridge?
                              iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

                              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

                              BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X