questions from new user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ricky View Post

I understand using the harmony hub as a trigger for HS3 events, that appears to be how the plug in is designed.

What I would like to do is use the Harmony remote to turn on and off say a specific light bulb directly and adjust its level, without starting an audio/visual activity or event. Can that be done?
    The hub does not broadcast when any specific button is pressed, so there is no way to control anything in HS outside the event changes. The hubs do support some HA equipment like the Next thermostat and Philips hue bulbs (and z-wave and zigbee with the hub extender). I could expand the plugin to support those, but even then you would be limited on which buttons can control HA equipment.

You can use HA-Bridge as mentioned above, but you are still limited to using the HA buttons on the harmony remotes to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by mminehan View Post

As mentioned previously this can be done with HA-Bridge and then programming the Logitech Harmony to use the devices you set up in HA-Bridge.

Have you setup HA-Bridge?
      Not yet, I am reading about it, though, and have questions if you have time to answer. Thanks in advance.

The HA-Bridge overview sounds like it has to be used with Alexa, is that correct? If so, then I would use it with one of the Homeseer skills? But I can already control devices with Alexa and HS, so why would I want to do that. Obviously, I am not understanding. It is the piece of connecting the HS3 devices/events to the Harmony remote that I am unclear on. I see the diagram with the Harmony remote in it, however.

At https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge, I see the diagram with the Harmony Hub in it, can I understand that diagram to include the Harmony remote buttons. I thought that sirmeili said that the buttons on the Harmony remote don't trigger events in the Harmony hub. "The hub does not broadcast when any specific button is pressed, so there is no way to control anything in HS outside the event changes"

At https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/releases, I don't see any discussion of releases for ms windows. But I suppose that shows my ignorance of Java. Is the jar file given on the releases page operating system independent and the Java app on my windows HS computer will find it and run it?

I don't believe I have Java on the HomeTroller, so I would install Java correct?

I am also a bit worried about security risks of the bridge opening ports I don't understand.

Comment

You don't need Alexa. HA Bridge allows for different methods of control which includes Alexa. But you can ignore the whole Alexa thing.....unless that's a feature you want. HA-Bridge is a Philips HUE hub emulator which Logitech Harmony can control, but only using the 'home control' buttons (bottom 2 rows on the Elite remote - they look like light bulbs and power sockets). Using the home control buttons you will be able to control a maximum of 4 devices (e.g. two lights and a set of roller blinds in my case). And you can use the +/- control button to 'dim' what ever device you last controlled.

In HA Bridge you need to setup up both the Harmony Hub as a Bridge Control and the JSON commands that are sent to HomeSeer as a Bridge Device (see screenshots attached).

You need to do a bit of homework yourself. I just googled "HA-Bridge on Windows" and found plenty of sites showing you how to set it up.

But I am personally not familiar with a HomeTroller as I use Windows to host HS and a couple a Raspberry Pis as different gateways (including HA-Bridge). HA-Bridge does not need to be on the same machine as HS. But it does need to be on the same network as HS and your Harmony Hub. I'm not a Linux guru but Raspberry Pis are very handy devices. If you have time I would suggest looking into them. They are cheap and are a relatively easy way for providing interfaces to a number of systems and very handy if you ever start exploring MQTT and NodeRed (but that's a whole different topic).

HomeSeer is not so much a plug and play system. It offers much much more than many prebuilt systems such as Control 4 or Savant or SmartThings etc. But it does require quite a bit of tinkering and learning, which many people are not interested in. I understand you are just getting to grips with things which is good. The forums are here to support you once you make a start.

So get HA-Bridge installed on your host machine (possibly Window's in your case). Make sure you can log into it and get the main HA-Bridge screen.
        Then set up the Logitech Hub in HA-Bridge. Make sure you have right firmware on your hub (XMPP - details in this sub forum).
        Then set up your HomeSeer devices in HA-Bridge. Make sure you have enabled JSON and ASCII in the HS network setup.

Once you have done this then we will be able to provide more specific help. But you need to do the basics.

Don't worry. It's not that hard and we will get this working for you.

M

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-02-06.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1454355

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-02-06 (1).jpg
Views:	352
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1454354
        iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Thanks for these helpful details!

So get HA-Bridge installed on your host machine (possibly Window's in your case). Make sure you can log into it and get the main HA-Bridge screen. Then set up the Logitech Hub in HA-Bridge. Make sure you have right firmware on your hub (XMPP - details in this sub forum). Then set up your HomeSeer devices in HA-Bridge. Make sure you have enabled JSON and ASCII in the HS network setup.
          So I have HA-Bridge installed on the HomeTroller, which is a Windows computer. I can log in to HA-Bridge and have the main configuration screen.

1. I do not know what you mean by "XMPP - details in this sub forum" concerning the firmware for my Harmony Hub. Does not the firmware update as needed every time I sync my harmony elite with the Windows myharmony app?

2. Do I install the Harmony Hub as a "bridge device" . I assume I add the Hub based on its ip address but I don't see how to do that. Under "map type (legacy)" I see "Harmony button" and "Harmony activity" but I don't see a reference to Harmony hub.

3. I have enabled JSON in HS3 setup. It is unclear to me how I add a HS3 device to the HA-Bridge, that is how I go about as you say "set up your Homeseer devices in HA-Bridge". HS3 devices don't have ip addresses, how do I refer to them in HA-bridge, I guess this is where JSON commands come in but I don't know how to construct them.

Thanks again!

Comment

Ricky

1) if you have the MeiHarmony plugin working the you most likely have the correct hub firmware. See this post 2/15/19 - New Firmware for Hubs available which may break plugin until you do this... - HomeSeer Message Board

2) Yes that is correct. In the HA-Bridge under "Bridge Control" you will see a "Harmony Names and IP Addresses" section. You just need to populate the Name and IP fields.

3) JSON enables you to send commands directly to HS via http. It's not specific to HA-Bridge, but HA-Bridge uses this method to control HS devices. An example would be: http://192.168.1.163/JSON?request=co...2934&value=100 In this example the device with a reference number of 2934 is set to a value of 100 (i.e. ON). You can test this is working by finding the reference number of a device in your HS system. Pick a light for example. You will find the ref number under the advanced tab in the device properties. So cut and past the command in italics, change the IP to the IP of your HS3 system, change the ref number to your device's ref number and paste this in to a web browser. If everything is working the light will turn on and you will get a response in your browser that shows the device properties. If you get this far you are half way there.

The next step is to the HA-Bridge as a device in the Harmony software. I'll have to go back and look at my setup but from memory you add a Philips HUE device.

Let me know how you go with the JSON setup and we will work through the Harmony software part.

Also.....you will need to make sure that HA-Bridge starts up every time you reboot the computer.

M

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Ok so far. Thanks.

I have JSON commands working outside of the HA-Bridge, turning off and on a light. Did not know that was possible, just paste a JSON command in a web browser and HS responds. Cool!

I added Harmony ip address under bridge control. I left the "webhook" column empty. Do I need to fill the webhook column with anything??

In any event, I am now seeing two new tabs on the main HA-Bridge page "Harmony Devices" and "Harmony Activities"

Comment

Playing with an interesting workaround for controlling HS devices with the Harmony remotes.

if you have the USB-UIRT you can trigger devices and events using IR commands by running events with the match IR command trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky View Post
                  Ok so far. Thanks.

I have JSON commands working outside of the HA-Bridge, turning off and on a light. Did not know that was possible, just paste a JSON command in a web browser and HS responds. Cool!

I added Harmony ip address under bridge control. I left the "webhook" column empty. Do I need to fill the webhook column with anything??

In any event, I am now seeing two new tabs on the main HA-Bridge page "Harmony Devices" and "Harmony Activities"
                  Brilliant.
                  Yep, leave the webhook field empty.
                  You can ignore the Harmony Device and Activities tab for now.

Now you need to add some HA-Bridge devices. These are the HS devices you want to control with JSON commands. Click on "Bridge Devices" in HA-Bridge. Then Add/Edit, then Add Bridge Device.

Give the device a logical name, which will eventually also appear in the Logitech software. Set the Device Type to Switch.

Now setup the JSON commands. In the "On Items" section choose HTTP Device for device type. And paste the JSON command that you tested in the browser into the Target Item field. Make sure the value is 100. Do the same for "Off Items" and set the value to 0 this time.

To set up dimming, if your HS device is actually dimmable, you need to add something like this http://192.168.1.163/JSON?request=controldevicebyvalue&ref=2934&value=${intensity .percent} to the Target Item in the Dim Items section. Make sure you have the correct ref number. But this time notice the value is equal to ${intensity.percent}.

Now save this (the green Update Bridge Device button).

Go back to the Bridge Devices tab and you should see your newly added device in the list of devices. Test this using the various test buttons.

All going to plan you will be able to control you HS device from HA-Bridge.

Now add 3 more HD devices you want to control by substituting the ref number for each new device. Blue Add/Edit button and blue Add Bridge Device button. Repeat as above and test they are working.

Remember you can only control up to 4 HS devices with the Harmony home control buttons.

Let me know how you get on and then we will move on to setting up the Harmony Remote....which I need to refresh my memory on anyway.
                  M

Comment

Originally posted by gelessor View Post
                    Playing with an interesting workaround for controlling HS devices with the Harmony remotes.

if you have the USB-UIRT you can trigger devices and events using IR commands by running events with the match IR command trigger.
                    Yes... I tried this once but from memory I had trouble as Logitech don't have a 'generic device' to choose from. You have to pick some sort of hardware device and then try and match IR commands. It all became a little messy. But things may have changed since I last looked at this some years ago.

Comment

Remember you can only control up to 4 HS devices with the Harmony home control buttons.

Let me know how you get on and then we will move on to setting up the Harmony Remote....which I need to refresh my memory on anyway.
                      M
                      Okay. Good. I Can turn on and off the device from HA-Bridge. When I hit the dim button in HA - Bridge nothing happens. Should something happen? Seems odd for there to be only a button when dim is a continuous characteristic, no?

I have not selected any option from the drop down list under "content type" in the HA-bridge setup for these on, off, dim devices. Should I?

Ready to connect this to the remote. What is next?

Thanks again!

Comment

If you have set the dimming device up correctly you should get a slider pop-up window on HA-Bridge asking you to set a percentage when you click the 'Test Dim' button. So check your settings in the HA-Bridge device and make sure you haven't blocked pop-ups in your browser (i.e. In your browser allow pop-ups for your HA-Bridge IP).

I don't have anything set in 'content type' field.

Next you need to add a Philips Hue device to your Harmony set up which I can't exectly remember how to do.

But first we need to check that HA-Bridge can see the Harmony Hub. Click on 'Harmony Activities' or 'Harmony Devices' button on the main HA-Bridge screen and check that you can see a list of activities and devices that you have setup in your Harmony software. We won't be using any of these. We just want to check there is communication between HA-Bridge and the Harmony hub.

You could go ahead and try and add a 'Philips Hue' device to you Harmony software, which I can't exectly recall how to do. I'm pretty sure the Harmony Software will look for a Hue hub or ask for the IP number of the Hue hub (i.e. HA-Bridge in our case as it is emulating a Hue Hub) and then it will find all the devices you setup in HA-Bridge. If you get this working the you need to assign the Hue (HA-Bridge) devices to the 'home control' Harmony buttons. Once you get this done the a short press of a home control button on the remote should turn the device on and a long press turn it off. So its NOT a toggle, rather short press / long press by default.

M

Comment

Yes... I tried this once but from memory I had trouble as Logitech don't have a 'generic device' to choose from. You have to pick some sort of hardware device and then try and match IR commands. It all became a little messy. But things may have changed since I last looked at this some years ago.
                          you can use a Flirc receiver and set it up as a generic Media PC (if I'm not mistaken). I've never done this, but it should work for control, not monitoring. And you'd have to set up Flirc to do what you want in HS..I think using Event Ghost or somethign like that (I can't remember how exactly it has to be done). Jon00 I believe does this.

Comment

If you have set the dimming device up correctly you should get a slider pop-up window on HA-Bridge asking you to set a percentage when you click the 'Test Dim' button. So check your settings in the HA-Bridge device and make sure you haven't blocked pop-ups in your browser (i.e. In your browser allow pop-ups for your HA-Bridge IP).

But first we need to check that HA-Bridge can see the Harmony Hub. Click on 'Harmony Activities' or 'Harmony Devices' button on the main HA-Bridge screen and check that you can see a list of activities and devices that you have setup in your Harmony software. We won't be using any of these. We just want to check there is communication between HA-Bridge and the Harmony hub.

M
                            I got the dim menu to appear in using HA-bridge.

However, My activities and devices are not showing up under the harmony activities or devices in ha-bridge. First, I want to make sure I understand. Getting HA-bridge working does NOT depend on the Mei HarmonyHub addin working. Correct? Just want to make sure I understand this correctly. HA-bridge and MeiHarmonyHub are independent of one another. Correct? Can I have the addin enabled while asking ha-bridge to find the hub? I have tried it both ways and still cannot get ha-bridge to find the hub.

For what it is worth MeiHarmonyHub addin DOES discover my harmony hub at the expected ip address. HS3 and the HA-bridge are running on the same windows computer.

However, the HA-bridge is giving me error messages like "get harmony activities error:undefined with status: not found -404" and "get harmony devices error:undefined with status: not found -404"

Currently, I am troubleshooting this issue by trying to find the ha-bridge log file in a windows installation. Will report back.

Comment

Actually, I think I may have put you worng. Sorry about that. I am working from memory. It's possible that the Devices and Activities in HA-Bridge are not populated until you set up the Harmony software side of things.

Yes, HA-Bridge should work totally independently of HS and the MeiHarmon plugin.

See if you can add a Philips Hue device in your Harmony Software (using the Harmony app or Windows software that you used to setup you Harmony in the first place).

Comment

Yes when I search for devices using the Harmony software it finds the Philips Hue device (aka HA-Bridge) and adds it. There is then a menu-driven process to associate the HS3 device with one of the four buttons at the bottom of the remote, like you said. Without associating the buttons, the HS3 device shows up in the touch screen on the remote under the Philips Hue device.

There are a few quirks I am trying to work out. The dim buttons are not working well, or I haven't figured out the correct way to touch or hit the dim buttons on the remote. Solid hold on dim button seems to create havoc, tap repeatedly? Working on it.

Anyways, Job done, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X