does the tv send a msg when turned on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does the tv send a msg when turned on

do you know if the mitsu TVs send a msg via the rs232 port when it is turned on?

I am looking for a way to know when my tv is turned on. I could of course poll for power status, but was looking for something a little more passive.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

From what I've tested the interface is one way only. You can send commands, but don't get any response back.

Comment

Originally posted by toddgraham View Post
      From what I've tested the interface is one way only. You can send commands, but don't get any response back.
      The protocol definitely sends ACKs in response to cmds but maybe it doesn't initiate comm?
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

The responses from the TV are unreliable and hit and miss, the responses (ACKs) mentioned before work intermittenly and timeouts occur frequently, especially when waking the TV up (PowerOn).
        -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
        VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
        Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

thanks larry

Yes I have found the acks to be slow I usually wait up to 15 secs for one

So all that said I guess the tv does not send anything by itself when turned on or off?

Ok another question: do you know if there are direct IR cmds to change video input vs the device+ cmd
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I am not sure about IR, but the serial commands can go direct to HDMI-1 for example, thats what I like about the serial control is I can go direct to a specific input without trying to track what current input I am at. And sending a command to the TV seems to work every time even without trying to wait for an ACK. The only real issue I have come across is if you try to change inputs and the TV is not even ON for example.
            -Larry

Plugins:
            VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
            Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

Originally posted by lpitman View Post
              I am not sure about IR, but the serial commands can go direct to HDMI-1 for example, thats what I like about the serial control is I can go direct to a specific input without trying to track what current input I am at. And sending a command to the TV seems to work every time even without trying to wait for an ACK. The only real issue I have come across is if you try to change inputs and the TV is not even ON for example.
              my issue is, i am planning on buying a new universal remote that has macros to change from tv watching (on dtv) to video game playing (on comp1). i need a way to switch video input directly.

i thought about sending a generic ir cmd (like '1') back to hs and then have hs change the video source, but that seems rather round-about
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                my issue is, i am planning on buying a new universal remote that has macros to change from tv watching (on dtv) to video game playing (on comp1). i need a way to switch video input directly.

i thought about sending a generic ir cmd (like '1') back to hs and then have hs change the video source, but that seems rather round-about
                i bought a logitech harmony one remote. and it has descrete ir cmds for each video input (and power on vs power off) on the tv which is great. makes setting up macros, etc very easy and reliable.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                  i bought a logitech harmony one remote. and it has descrete ir cmds for each video input (and power on vs power off) on the tv which is great. makes setting up macros, etc very easy and reliable.
                  I havn't given it much thought after the initial release of the plugin about trying to get better responses from the TV, but in my environment I only use the plugin to tell the TV what I want ... like go to HDMI-1 or PowerOff, which I don't really care about where it was or it's condition.

I can see your and others point's about querying the TV for status and I will try to experiment with getting more reliable ACK's from the TV, but no promises as this really frustrated me the first time through.
                  -Larry

Plugins:

Hardware:

Comment

Working...
                  X