Sony AVR for 2 Zones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony AVR for 2 Zones?

One of the models i was looking at had the capability of doing 2 zones. I am wondering if A) the receiver can turn on or off zone 2 speakers, independantly... and B) if this addon controls said feature. I haven't purchased a unit yet but if anyone has any guidances or experiences i am all ears.

Here is the one i was looking at
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/av-...ers/str-dn1080

I control all of the components in my rack with a GC-100-12 with two blasters supported through GlobalCachePro (legacy) or ultraGCIR. It works very well. The database is extensive and a GC-IRL can handle all the odd equipment not in the database. I have 5 zones that I can control through multiple receivers. It also has the benefit of not requiring a new plugin if you upgrade or replace equipment.

A single viewpoint based solely on my experience. Hope this gives you another perspective.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughtful reply and perspective, i also have the global cache gear as well and since i am just starting out with audio equipment, prefer to start from the ground up with something other than IR control (although i find quite useful for some applications)

A little more context: We are doing a large backyard remodel which includes adding a bonus room in our garage that will lead to a large outside deck. Basically i will have one source (kodi rasberry pi) connected to the TV in the bonus room. I want to basically have an indoor zone with 5.1 and 2 speakers outside. The outside won't be used all the time and so i would to be able to toggle them on and off.

Comment

I use line out for zone 2 on my NAD and Denon running to a 8 zone and two single zone amplifier using RCA cables.

The model I have is no longer available but here is something similar.

https://www.parts-express.com/smsl-q...2x40w--230-210

See attached. This has digital coax and fiber as well. IR control
        Attached Files

Comment

I just look at what you are considering.

You can use another amplifier or you can plug zone 2 speakers directly into receiver.

Control is shown in the manual

"5 Set [Zone2] – [Zone2 Power] – [On]. You can also press ZONE SELECT on the receiver repeatedly to select “ZONE2 ON ?”, then press ZONE POWER on the receiver to set."

if you go to 7.1/2 I think you lose zone 2.

It is controllable by IR as well.

Comment

Yet another reply that doesn't answer your question, but might be useful to you or someone else later: Blade's BLOnkyo plugin provides the control you're looking for on a number of Onkyo HT receivers including the TX-NR656 which I use.
            -Wade

Comment

Thank you both for the input. AllHailJ i don't think i will ever go 7.1 for inside... 5.1 would be more than sufficient. And thanks for looking into the specs of the unit. I am somewhat a newbie with audio so i really appreciate it

I will look at the Onkyo HT cc4005

Comment

Looking at the devices created for my 2 Sony AVRs and I don't see anything pertaining to the second zone. Just root, power, volume, mute, input, and remote control. Remote control does not appear to include any zone 2 buttons.

Comment

The SonyAVR plugin supports commands for Zone 2 and beyond by adding Control Functions from the config page.
                  For example to add a command to turn On zone 2, you would set command=zone2.power and value=on, like on the screenshot below

Click image for larger version

Name:	zone2command.png
Views:	45
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1309010
                  then after clicking on Update devices, this new command would appear as a new button attached to the "Remote Control" device.

The attached zip contains a spreadsheet with all the possible commands. (see Zone sheet for example). In the config page the format of the command must be FeatureGroup.Feature

Comment

Working...
                  X