Differences Between this Plugin and the one Sold by HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences Between this Plugin and the one Sold by HS

Can someone explain to me the differences between this app and the one developed by HomeSeer? I'm interested mainly in the IR functions but also want to use the serial ports on my new GC100-12.
    Regards, Bob

This one actually works.

Comment

Dito

Comment

Ditto, ditto. I have both. You want the UltraGCIR HSPI.

To answer your question directly, both were designed to do the same thing, but the UltraGCIR was written better. The interface is more user friendly and it seems to be more stable.

One thing to keep in mind is that neither plugin will, by itself, give you access to all of the functionality of your GC-100. The Homeseer Global Cache GC100 plugin and the UltraGCIR plugin are both designed to allow you to send out IR commands. The Homeseer plugin has some provision for accessing the serial port on the GC-100, but I believe it can only be used with scripts. I don't have any serially controlled equipment, so I can't help much there. The UltraGCIR does not support the serial port, yet.

For me, the other issue is receiving IR to trigger events using the GC-IRE. Homeseer requires another plugin, the GCIR Receiver plugin, and a com port redirector. The UltraGCIR plugin does not currently support the GC-IRE, but support is in development. Personally, I've had quite a bit of trouble getting the Homeseer GCIR Receiver plugin to work on my system. Other people have been able to make it work, but it does not seem to work for everyone. I'm hopeful that the UltraGCIR will work for me with my GC-IRE.

As for other serial functions, again, I don't know much about it, but depending on what you want to do, you may need a com port redirector. Global Cache recommends the Eterlogic VSPE (http://globalcache.zendesk.com/entri...ort-redirector), which I am currently using. It seems to work fine, but I haven't done much with it since the GCIR Receiver plugin is so flaky.

I hope this helps.
        Mike

Comment

Never mind.
          Last edited by chewie; January 10, 2011, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the reply and summary of the two plugins. I currently use an USBUIRT to capture IR from remote controls in the house which then triggers a script and issues HS IR to control various components. Problem is that I now own two Samsung TVs in different room that both respond to the same IR command. USBUIRT does support two IR zones but I have not been able to get this to work as of yet. The CG stuff looks like a much better solution for me so I don't have to run a bunch of IR wires to the various rooms and it will do zones.

A big issue for me is the ability to trigger a script with an IR remote. I understand from reading the forum that this plugin does not support this feature now but he (UltraJones) is working on it.

Question: Would I be able to continue to use the USBUIRT to capture commands and also use this plugin to issue commands until sometime in the future that the plugin can do both? I installed the HSGC plugin and it seems that only one IR plugin can be used at a time as it disabled the USBUIRT plugin.
            Regards, Bob

Comment

The UltraGCIR HSPI plugin is a separate plugin and does not interfere with the USBUIRT. I am using both. I use the USBUIRT learn and to control devices in my office and use GC100's in two other rooms using the UltraGCIR HSPI plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by rhodesep View Post
                The UltraGCIR HSPI plugin is a separate plugin and does not interfere with the USBUIRT. I am using both. I use the USBUIRT learn and to control devices in my office and use GC100's in two other rooms using the UltraGCIR HSPI plugin.
                Thanks, I'll give it a try.
                Regards, Bob

Comment

Working...
                X