Blue Iris V5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Iris V5

Hi, BI v5 is about to be released. Any idea if this plug in will be OK with the changes ?

Version 5 has an expected release date of June 1, 2019!  Beginning today, a new purchase of version 4 includes a free upgrade to version 5.  For older purchases, the upgrade[...]

I was going to post the same thing, I need to know this as well. v5 is a major redesign.

Comment

Doesn't look like V5 offers much outside of a new UI.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
        Doesn't look like V5 offers much outside of a new UI.
        Ah, it Decouples the console and service so you don't have to remote desktop/vnc into the server to manage it, you can run the console on your pc and connect to multiple servers.
        This could also lead to having a video wall as well eventually.

Starting to use the new MS Video Api's for better CPU usage.

AI & Human recognition as well.

Comment

Been using BI4 (v. 4.8.4.6) for a long time and am very happy. I tend to find a version that runs well for me and then only update when either a fix becomes available for a problem I have experienced or a new interesting feature is added. As a result, my system is very stable.

Here is the doc that describes the major differences between BI4 and BI5.
          https://blueirissoftware.com/BlueIris5.pdf

The enhancements would seem to be most attractive to installations with the following characteristics:
          1. Lots of frequent interactions with the BI native UI. Apparently is will be more intuitive and modern.
          2. Installations with multiple instances of BI in production.
          For me, in terms of #1, I seldom use the native UI. HS3 interacts/controls BI4 via the plugin so improvements to the UI are not that important. We do use the mobile app often but the above doc mentions no changes there.

On #2, while I do have two unique BI4 installations at different locations, I manage them independently and haven't had a need to manage the two as one. However, my understanding is that BI is being used by independent security installers as their camera management software. I think some are even able to rebrand it. Potentially an installer might have many customers running BI and I can see that the installer might find it quite helpful to make a single change and have it affect all customer installations.

Unless new information becomes available, I won't be in any hurry to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by skl111 View Post

AI & Human recognition as well.
            Those are things that are claimed to be coming in the future. They are not inherently coupled with the release of V 5.

I see no reason to upgrade given my usage scenario at this point.
            Originally posted by rprade
            There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Whether you upgrade or not, the question is will this plugin support v5?

Comment

I've put a call in to Ken to ask what changes in the v5 API to see if it will break the plugin or not. As soon as I have feedback I will post it here.

My gut feel is that it won't break but there will be an opportunity to add more functionality to the plugin. I'll know more when I hear back from the BI developer.
                Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

@berrygaz

Thanks for the plugin! It works great.

Maybe this is an opportunity to petition Ken to enhance the API with new functionality you might have wished for in the past. Since V5 will be marketed based on its new features and enhancements, having an improved API would be consistent with that marketing story.

For me, the one thing that would prompt me to upgrade would be better motion detection so that false positives are reduced/eliminated. I have two locations with HS3/BI4. One of them has lots of trees. When you combine trees, leaves, shade, and wind, you get lots of false motions that I have not been successful in tuning out. Add to that a pesky night time spider and the false positives negate the usefulness. Really I only care about motions of humans. Also, I'm not fond of motion detection as a function of the camera itself.

Comment

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
                    I've put a call in to Ken to ask what changes in the v5 API to see if it will break the plugin or not. As soon as I have feedback I will post it here.

My gut feel is that it won't break but there will be an opportunity to add more functionality to the plugin. I'll know more when I hear back from the BI developer.
                    Sounds good. I would love to be able to take a snapshot when and event occurs on other devices.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                      @berrygaz

When you combine trees, leaves, shade, and wind, you get lots of false motions that I have not been successful in tuning out. Add to that a pesky night time spider and the false positives negate the usefulness. Really I only care about motions of humans. Also, I'm not fond of motion detection as a function of the camera itself.

OT, what works for me to prevent "False motion Alerts" is to use PIR and IR beam sensors which must trigger first, then these sensors change BI's profile to one that can send motion alerts, but only for 5 minutes if the are no more PIR or IR beam triggers.

Comment

Originally posted by Miamijerry View Post

OT, what works for me to prevent "False motion Alerts" is to use PIR and IR beam sensors which must trigger first, then these sensors change BI's profile to one that can send motion alerts, but only for 5 minutes if the are no more PIR or IR beam triggers.
                        Didn't think of that. I don't currently have any PIRs or IR beams outside but will try it. What is the range of your outdoor PIRs? I've never used beam IRs except on a garage door. I looked on amazon to see if there were any that were z-wave. Didn't find anything that was obvious it would work with HS3. Do you have a beam IR device you prefer? Do the ones you use run on batteries?

Thanks for the idea!

Comment

Didn't think of that. I don't currently have any PIRs or IR beams outside but will try it. What is the range of your outdoor PIRs? I've never used beam IRs except on a garage door. I looked on amazon to see if there were any that were z-wave. Didn't find anything that was obvious it would work with HS3. Do you have a beam IR device you prefer? Do the ones you use run on batteries?

Thanks for the idea!
                          He posted this brief how-to earlier today. It lists his beam device and describes how he powered and integrated it with z-wave.
                          -Wade

Comment

What is the range of your outdoor PIRs?

Thanks for the idea!
                            HSFLS100+ as PIR, I would say range is 20 feet.

Can not face anything which reflects sunlight, I had to turn one of mine off for certain hours, due to morning sun.

Comment

I'm in ! Plug-in purchased. Now to have a play with it

Comment

Working...
                              X