No announcement yet.

Hardware Recommendations for BI App V5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Recommendations for BI App V5?

After updating from version 4 to 5 (with 9 cameras) I noticed that my CPU has been pegging from the low 90's to 100% and am wondering if anyone else is exhibiting the same? I was using a Intel core i5-8400 with 16GB which seemed to work fine with version 4, so I setup a Intel core i7-7557U (2 Core/4 logical Processors) but noticed that I was getting a little better CPU performance but it too was in the 90%. Looking at Blue Iris spec they indicate that a core i7 processor is needed. Looking at some of other thread discussions some folks made mention of a Intel core i7-6700 (4 Core/8 logical Processors) seemed to have adequate horse power, Can anyone weigh in?

Also is there any Win 10 Server (19" type) that could be used? Mike

Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
    Op System: Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    HS Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plug-Ins: BLBackup, BLGData, BLRoombaWifi, Device History, EasyTrigger, ImperiHome, Nest, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Restart, Sonos, UltraCID3, UltraWeatherWU3, Z-Wave, and Jon00 scripts.

I would post this question on ipcamtalk.com
    Michael

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.470 | 849 devices | 349 events | OpenSprinkler | BLShutdown | EasyTrigger | NetCAM | Harmony Hub | Sonos | SDJ-Health | BLUPS | PHLocation | BLBackup | BLLock | Z-Wave 3.0.1.243 | weatherXML | Pushover 3P | Blue-Iris | AirPlaySpeak

Comment

Thank-you Michael, I will take your suggestion and also post within ipcamtalk.com. I was trying to solicit Homeseer BI users experiences with the recent BI app V5 introduction as I think I'm not the only person experiencing CPU extremes , Mike

Plug-Ins: BLBackup, BLGData, BLRoombaWifi, Device History, EasyTrigger, ImperiHome, Nest, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Restart, Sonos, UltraCID3, UltraWeatherWU3, Z-Wave, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Michael, again thanxs for the steer to the web site, found the "Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage" thread and was able to reduce my CPU from high 90-100 utilization down to 61-75% which gave my computer some breathing room.. I have two computer types with Blue Iris App installed; 1) Intel core i5-8400 with 16GB memory and 2) a Intel core i7-7567U with 16 GB memory and both exhibit the same general reductions in CPU utilizations when I applied the Optimization recommendations.

On a side note as I could only have one machine with a license and the other as a Demo, the Demo machine exhibited a slightly lower CPU utilization ~ 10% lower e.g. 64% but once I provided it with a license it consumed that lower CPU. Mike

Comment

Interesting. Demo mode usually requires more CPU.
          Michael

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.470 | 849 devices | 349 events | OpenSprinkler | BLShutdown | EasyTrigger | NetCAM | Harmony Hub | Sonos | SDJ-Health | BLUPS | PHLocation | BLBackup | BLLock | Z-Wave 3.0.1.243 | weatherXML | Pushover 3P | Blue-Iris | AirPlaySpeak

Comment

That's what I though also per some discussions but I've confirmed on the same for both computer platforms..

For those out there that haven't looked at Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage the list below when selected will make vast improvements to your CPU utilization rates, I found it interesting that deselecting Text and Graphic Overlays would have an impact " who would of thunk it?" Mike
            • Direct-to-disc recording
            • Hardware accelerated decoding
            • Run as a service
            • Text and Graphic Overlays

Comment

Originally posted by MNB View Post
              That's what I though also per some discussions but I've confirmed on the same for both computer platforms..

For those out there that haven't looked at Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage the list below when selected will make vast improvements to your CPU utilization rates, I found it interesting that deselecting Text and Graphic Overlays would have an impact " who would of thunk it?" Mike
              • Direct-to-disc recording
              • Hardware accelerated decoding
              • Run as a service
              • Text and Graphic Overlays

Thanks for passing this along. I'm a bit CPU poor on my BI server.

To be sure I understand, DOING the 1st three things helps reduce CPU load, and NOT doing the last one? I.e., turning off graphic overlays helps?
              -Wade

Comment

In my case all four things worked, I was just surprised that the fourth item would have that kind of impact.

Use the following link to walk you through each improvements there a few more but omitted them because I did not see any reason to use them.. https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/optimizin...s-s-cpu-usage/ , Mike

just added a fifth optimization where I changed my live preview rate from 30 fps to 15 fps which drop my CPU down to below 50%
                • Live preview frame rate

Comment

Glad things are working out. I run 10 cameras at 15 FPS on an i7-6700 with 16 MB of ram and CPU is currently at about 35% after optimizing BI. When not running the console on my headless Optiplex, CPU drops to about 25%.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6959C8F2-6D9F-4AE2-BA74-67A2F47CCA20.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	1317510

Click image for larger version  Name:	C6C9D21A-A60C-4DD9-AB49-24ECE3621595.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	1317511
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	E7181C4E-3776-4BD1-884E-FE41A4D3316B.jpeg
Views:	371
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1317512

​​​​​​​
                  Michael

Comment

Working...
                  X