Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this plugin be ported to HS4?

Hello people,

I bought BlueIris a week ago and right now I'm on the trial period right with the plugin now but I would like to know if this plugin will be updated? Must I wait or if I buy it today, It would include the HS4 version when is ready?

PP

Originally posted by ppespepe View Post
    Hello people,

I bought BlueIris a week ago and right now I'm on the trial period right with the plugin now but I would like to know if this plugin will be updated? Must I wait or if I buy it today, It would include the HS4 version when is ready?

PP
    I would suggest waiting on buying any HS3 plugins if you can until the dust settles. If they even choose to make an HS4 plugin, Upgrading to HS4 plugins from what I have heard is not that easy and many will likely charge for a plugin upgrade to HS4 due to the work involved. Problem is with Homeseer there is no way to charge for only a plugin upgrade without charging for a new plugin. So there is no way for a new plugin to come out and say charge old users/owners 10.00 to upgrade and new users 40.00 to buy the new plugin.

The only thing the Dev could do is either upgrade the whole plugin to HS4 and it would be free to update to the new version (which might hurt some old users that don't want to upgrade to HS4) or write a new plugin and have a HS3 version and HS4 version in the store. But they then have to charge full price for both versions or maybe offer a 1 week discount on the plugin but it would end up being same price for a new user buying the plugin for the first time or old users of HS3 buying the HS4 plugin.

Hope that make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
      Problem is with Homeseer there is no way to charge for only a plugin upgrade without charging for a new plugin. So there is no way for a new plugin to come out and say charge old users/owners 10.00 to upgrade and new users 40.00 to buy the new plugin.
      Not true at all... There were upgrade prices offered in the transition from HS2 to HS3 and some plugin authors have already indicated they will be offering upgrade pricing.
      HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Refer to HS document: https://helpdesk.homeseer.com/articl...-compatibility

If I'm reading this article correctly... Existing HS3 plugins will work on HS4. It will be up to the plugin developer to decide if they want to create a new HS4 plugin to take advantage of the new HS4 features, but that plugin would only work with HS4. The developer would also need to decide if they want to continue upgrading the separate HS3 version, or leave it stagnant for HS3 users. I think in the short term we can upgrade to HS4 and continue using our HS3 plugins, upgrading as HS4 versions become available and desirable.

If you think about it, this is the same model used by Microsoft and others. We can upgrade to the newest version of Windows without having to buy all new apps - our existing MS Office, Photoshop, etc all work in the new version of Windows. Over time it may become desirable to upgrade to the latest version of the app in order to benefit from new functionality.

Comment

Agreed this might happen with other software vendors but... I have the right to know if this plugin will be ported so I can decide wether I buy it or not. I’m not interested in buying new plugins that won’t be ported to HS4.

i totally understand some of the plugins I already have, may not be ported to HS4 and I can live with that... let’s call it luck of the draw... but for new ones? No deal.

it is not only a matter of money, I do prefer to try SightHound Video if such plugin will be ported and this not.

anyway, thanks for your replies! 😬

Comment

Working...
          X