Recommended mini or Small Form Factor PC for Blue Iris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended mini or Small Form Factor PC for Blue Iris

Any recommendation for a power sipping mini PC for Blue Iris with 8-10 IP cameras? I see lots of options with atom processors for cheap, but the Blue Iris website recommends an i7... I have quantum byte I use for Logitech Media Server and a Lenovo Q190 I use for Plex (one stream at a time) and both work fine for those purposes but assume they'd be way underpowered for Blue Iris. I found this on eBay http://r.ebay.com/z6JMEB . Think that would be OK or do I need to look at actual full desktops? What about some of the premade NVRs instead of a PC + Blue Iris?
    John
    Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
    Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
    HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
    Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

If you intend to do anything more than just record, then buy as much CPU horsepower as you can afford. Motion detection in BI is well implemented and highly flexible but needs plenty of CPU. I have 8 IP cameras with m/d enabled and I'm running at 80% utilization of a dual-CPU Xeon server (that's 8 cores).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

For the last 4 years I am using the following configuration:

Mac Mini (mid 2011) i5 -16GB ram - 2x 128Gb SSD
      With a FireWire to Ethernet I have added a second fysical NIC.

Within OSX I use parallels to host my three VM's:
      - Sophos UTM Firewall
      - Homeseer 3 server
      - Blue iris server

Also I use OSX for ITunes sharing and the Plex media server.

With 8 ip camera's in blue iris and the other servers, I have an normal CPU load of about 20%, and a power consumption of around 38 Watts.

It is not the cheapest option, but it is working well for me the last 4 years. It is import to get a mac mini which is not the latest model to be able to perform upgrades yourself.

Comment

I run BlueIris in a virtual machine, and currently only running two cameras, though I will be installing about 8-10 more in the near future. With motion detection enabled it uses a lot of CPU. Don't skimp on that, and I wouldn't even consider an Atom processor unless as mentioned above, you only plan to record without motion detection.

A power sipping surveillance solution is possible, but only if you simplify the implementation and don't do any fancy motion detection/masking. The tradeoff is disk space vs CPU/power.
        HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Looks like low power is out. I didn't even think of the xeon servers. They're really good values.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk
          John
          Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
          Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Any thoughts on these

http://www.savemyserver.com/dell-pow...345-16gb-73gb/

or

http://www.savemyserver.com/dell-pow...b-perc6i-2psu/ though I'm not sure if I need a second PSU.

My only question is what OS do you put on these? I don't need a server OS and there appears to be issues with Win 10 either not working at all with Xeons or having to disable all but one processor. I have an old Win 7 license I've never used.

What about Linux options like ZoneMinder or Blue Cherry. Does Linux run OK on Xeon Servers. Would save a lot of $$. Looks like there are several Linux server distros. I have very limited experience in Linux, but can learn.
            John

Comment

Those servers would work fine. I'm using an HP equivalent running Windows Server 2012 (you should also be able to run Windows Home Server 2011 I think). Linux + ZM work well, I ran ZM for many years until I switched to BI. BI was just more feature-rich, complete, and was being actively developed. If you're new to Linux then I'd be wary of ZM. It will take a lot of investment in your time to get it up and running well.

That being said there are a number of HS users running ZM still and there are some scripts to integrate the two. Open source is cheaper assuming you have the time to invest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Interested in this as I am going to be rebuilding my infrastructure. Was originally going to build a beefy server and run VM's but I want to be able to run critical systems (homeseer, security) for 24 hours in the event of a power outage. To that end I am thinking of putting together separate servers with homeseer running on a quantum byte (can't beat that power draw) or building a J1900 based system. Now that ties into this thread, are there cameras that support motion detection well onboard that could minimize the requirements for the server? The j1900 has a passmark around 1800 and with 4gb of ram and a moderate SSD would come in pretty cheap. Also I was debating using the file server that runs plex for long term storage with short term being on the j1900 and automating it somehow. Ultimately the j1900 box would be on a eaton ups and the beefier server on the big 1500 APC UPS (of course that draw is 150 watts...)

Not trying to hijack this thread at all and to that end I can offer up something. The Xeon-D based boards would make a fine server to handle a lot: http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...V-4C-TLN2F.cfm

The draw is 35w to 45w based on the flavor of choice. The lower end 4c8t is running less than $500. Passmark around 6800.

Thoughts?

Comment

I decided against Blue Iris and ended up going with an LTS LTN8816 NVR and adding 4 x 4TB WD Purples. The Xeon Servers were power hungry and too big to fit in my shallow rack, and the off-lease/used optiplex i7s cost as much as the NVR and would have needed a RAID card added in to support more than 2 HDDs, plus modification to the interior to hold the HDDs (maybe just 5" to 3.5" rails, but still modification).

I ordered the NVR and 12 LTS IP Cameras on Wednesday, got them on Friday and was up and running on the test bench (still pulling wires and finishing server room/wiring closet) by dinner time on Friday (thanks to the snow day).

LTS is an OEM that uses Hikvision hardware, and the cameras are amazing. If you're interested, you need to go to ipcamtalk.com and seek out a user called milkisbad for assistance in acquiring these.

The NVR is so much easier to use than any cameras software I've ever messed with and just works.

I also bought two switches off of ebay, a Dell Powerconnect 3424P (24 x 10/100 POE with GBE uplink) and a 2748 (48 x 10/100/1000) and they work great, I will soon have every connection home run to the server room and no longer have half a dozen switches and two dozen wireless clients spread around the house. Everything except out laptops, phones and tablets will be on a wired network connection.

Got off topic a bit, but my point is that an NVR might be all you need if you do not need any of the extras Blue Iris has. Also, getting a non-POE NVR, makes your cameras accessible to the rest of the network so you can still pull snapshots from them, have them send emails, detect motion, etc independent of (or in conjunction with) the NVR. The enterprise level switches help with bandwidth, especially the gigabit uplink from the POE switch to the gigabit switch.
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by kideon View Post
                    Interested in this as I am going to be rebuilding my infrastructure. Was originally going to build a beefy server and run VM's but I want to be able to run critical systems (homeseer, security) for 24 hours in the event of a power outage. To that end I am thinking of putting together separate servers with homeseer running on a quantum byte (can't beat that power draw) or building a J1900 based system. Now that ties into this thread, are there cameras that support motion detection well onboard that could minimize the requirements for the server? The j1900 has a passmark around 1800 and with 4gb of ram and a moderate SSD would come in pretty cheap. Also I was debating using the file server that runs plex for long term storage with short term being on the j1900 and automating it somehow. Ultimately the j1900 box would be on a eaton ups and the beefier server on the big 1500 APC UPS (of course that draw is 150 watts...)

Not trying to hijack this thread at all and to that end I can offer up something. The Xeon-D based boards would make a fine server to handle a lot: http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...V-4C-TLN2F.cfm

The draw is 35w to 45w based on the flavor of choice. The lower end 4c8t is running less than $500. Passmark around 6800.

Thoughts?
                    Did you go for this board?

What is your CPU utilization?

How many and what rype of cameras?

---
                    John

Comment

We use an HP EliteBook 2760p laptop with 4 gig of memory. We have 7 cameras and utilization is about 30%.
                      Michael

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.470 | 849 devices | 349 events | OpenSprinkler | BLShutdown | EasyTrigger | NetCAM | Harmony Hub | Sonos | SDJ-Health | BLUPS | PHLocation | BLBackup | BLLock | Z-Wave 3.0.1.243 | weatherXML | Pushover 3P | Blue-Iris | AirPlaySpeak

Comment

I never executed. Am probably going the symbology route but am on the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by jrfuda View Post
                          I decided against Blue Iris and ended up going with an LTS LTN8816 NVR and adding 4 x 4TB WD Purples. The Xeon Servers were power hungry and too big to fit in my shallow rack, and the off-lease/used optiplex i7s cost as much as the NVR and would have needed a RAID card added in to support more than 2 HDDs, plus modification to the interior to hold the HDDs (maybe just 5" to 3.5" rails, but still modification).

I ordered the NVR and 12 LTS IP Cameras on Wednesday, got them on Friday and was up and running on the test bench (still pulling wires and finishing server room/wiring closet) by dinner time on Friday (thanks to the snow day).

LTS is an OEM that uses Hikvision hardware, and the cameras are amazing. If you're interested, you need to go to ipcamtalk.com and seek out a user called milkisbad for assistance in acquiring these.

The NVR is so much easier to use than any cameras software I've ever messed with and just works.

I also bought two switches off of ebay, a Dell Powerconnect 3424P (24 x 10/100 POE with GBE uplink) and a 2748 (48 x 10/100/1000) and they work great, I will soon have every connection home run to the server room and no longer have half a dozen switches and two dozen wireless clients spread around the house. Everything except out laptops, phones and tablets will be on a wired network connection.

Got off topic a bit, but my point is that an NVR might be all you need if you do not need any of the extras Blue Iris has. Also, getting a non-POE NVR, makes your cameras accessible to the rest of the network so you can still pull snapshots from them, have them send emails, detect motion, etc independent of (or in conjunction with) the NVR. The enterprise level switches help with bandwidth, especially the gigabit uplink from the POE switch to the gigabit switch.
                          jrfuda --are you still happy with this setup? I am considering adding cameras to my house, and am comparing NVR/NAS systems vs. Blue Iris. I want to be able to have HS3 interface with the cameras for motion detection. It would also be nice if a wall-mounted tablet running HSTouch could switch to a camera view automatically when motion is detected. With your setup, how do you view the cameras. What was your all-in cost for that setup? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post

jrfuda --are you still happy with this setup?...
                            socalsharky I am very happy with the NVR, however, I ended up adding a PC with Blue Iris in Feb 2017 too in order to get the interface to HS and prettier interface in HSTouch (using the UI2, or is it now UI3 page embedded in a HSTouch page and not HSTouch's built-in webcam capabilities). So I have both - 24/7 revording with the NVR and BI for motion activated clips and pretty interface. I went with this PC: http://a.co/d/2iY9cc9 which is more than enough power - usually idles in the teens with 12 cameras connected. Added a 2TB external drive to store clips. I find it's easier to find, review, and export clips via BI than it is with the NVR, but the NVR is backup. Both the NVR and my BI PC have run without a hiccup since I've had them.
                            John

Comment

Originally posted by jrfuda View Post

socalsharky I went with this PC: http://a.co/d/2iY9cc9 which is more than enough power - usually idles in the teens with 12 cameras connected. Added a 2TB external drive to store clips.
                              I use a Lenovo Tiny for my HS3 system and love it. Based on what I've read here, BI is very CPU intensive, and I'm surprised that this is a good machine for BI. Are you doing full motion detection, etc.? Or is that part of the load handled by the NVR?

Comment

Working...
                              X