Foscam ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foscam ?

This is a general question about the Foscams, and specifically the 3.6mm wide angle outdoor version.
    I thought I'd take a chance on an eBay seller and save a few $ on two units. I knew going in that I'd likely be getting clones. I'm still not entirely sure, so I'd like to compare notes with someone who bought from HS or even directly from Foscam.

1. If they're clones, they're very good ones. I don't understand why anyone would go to so much trouble and not take credit.

2. The focus was way out on both units as received. This was relatively easy to rectify with a little patience. [ Push back the aluminum hood, Unscrew the lens cover, remove the LED array, loosen the lens fixing screw, adjust, reassemble ].

3. I find the color to be very poor. Green trees and grass look more pale purple to brown in daylight.

4. The night vision isn't anywhere near 10 meters outside. Inside my garage (about 8 meters from one end to the other), I do see quite well in the dark although still the color tends toward purple. It's too bad the firmware has no hue adjustment.

5. I thought this type of camera switched to black and white at night for better resolution. This isn't the case here.

Some things I've discovered:
    When I went to focus the second camera, In my rush I forgot to remove the antenna, and broke it off -- or so I'd thought. It turns out the actual antenna is a couple of curls of wire inside the plastic cover. The cover pulls off easily. I think these would benefit with the use of a better Wi-Fi antenna. I have no range issues on the other hand.

I've ordered a couple of 36 LED IR boards from Deal Extreme to try to replace the existing 18 LED boards and improve the night vision. I expect these this week. With any luck they'll fit. If not, I'm only out $10.

I have yet to contact Foscam to verify the camera's identity.

As I mentioned, I'd like to hear from other owners to compare notes.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

I ordered the Foscam PTZ wireless indoor cam last week from HKG. It is for the garage. I have been told I can unscrew the lens and replace it with a $2 Ebay special wide angle lens. The camera comes with a 3.6MM lens

Here is the link I bought from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-way-Audio-IP...item3cac49d069

The replacement wide angle lens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Board-2-1mm-...item255c614694
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.500 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit Intel CPU - Mono 5.18
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.500 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit Arm CPU - Mono 5.20

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

I ordered one of those clones and helped a friend install it. I have to say it's a pretty lousy image. Focus is ok but can't get a decent picture no matter how much you play with brightness/contrast. The pan/tilt works well however. Not much range on the IR. For $79 you get what you pay for .
      Mike

Comment

My only comparison of what I ordered is the Panasonic IP cam that I've owned for a while now. I will not be utilizing the WLAN piece of it. It was cheap.

I've maxed out my analogue connections (8) so IP is the only way to go for now. (total will be 8 analogue and 2 IP on ZM).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.500 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit Arm CPU - Mono 5.20

Comment

Still looking for comments from anyone who has a known genuine Foscam.
          Based on some comments I read elswhere: the cams I have are very well constructed, not at all cheap. They even have the Foscam logo on them (I realize this too may be counterfeit). The only real problem I have with these is the color reproduction. I've found too, the focus is really a matter of how far away you want a sharp image.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
            Still looking for comments from anyone who has a known genuine Foscam.
            Based on some comments I read elswhere: the cams I have are very well constructed, not at all cheap. They even have the Foscam logo on them (I realize this too may be counterfeit). The only real problem I have with these is the color reproduction. I've found too, the focus is really a matter of how far away you want a sharp image.
            I have a couple ordered and do not expect super color from them from the demo I saw on You Tube - Even my 500+ dollar Panasonic doesn't to justice to the color green.
            Search Google for "foscam youtube FI8905W (60 IR LED)". I am getting the 60 LED model (FI8905W)

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
              I have a couple ordered and do not expect super color from them from the demo I saw on You Tube - Even my 500+ dollar Panasonic doesn't to justice to the color green.
              Search Google for "foscam youtube FI8905W (60 IR LED)". I am getting the 60 LED model (FI8905W)
              Thanks for the YouTube lead.
              On the other hand, my $99 DLink DCS920s produce quite true daylight color. Unfortunately they're not IR. I also have a Linksys IP camera about the same price which I never was satisfied with.

Comment

I recently bought some FOSCAM cameras, however, I haven't installed them yet.

I dunno if they are genuine either, but they bear the name...

Will tell you more once I get them up and running.

Comment

My experience

Hi All,

I'll bite and provide some direct feedback. I recently purchased two cameras from the Homeseer store http://store.homeseer.com/store/x-C194.aspx . I got one each of the outdoor cameras. One is silver the other a neat purple color.

First thing I noticed was Foscam branding and then immediately the quality of construction. In my opinion built like a tank, all aluminum body, sliding hood cover and well thought out wiring and mount. Antenna (hard to put on) is ok ,great hardwire ethernet connection and reset button. Setup via internal webserver went well, no surprises.

Currently I have one wireless and one wired. Both have been online without reset for almost three days now. The wireless one is one wall and 30 yards away.

I use a Webcam7 server (on my HS CPU) and I was able to use the built in Foscam settings, No problems at all.

Images are interesting. I attach two. The first is my driveway shot at 2pm in the afternoon on a mostly cloudy day. On the second picture you can see the driveway shot compared with other webcams around, the other Foscam is the pool shot.

Still playing with brightness/contrast, Ill report back.

so far I say 8/10 overall especially when you look at the price.

Mark
                  Attached Files

Comment

I agree, the one's I have are built like tanks as well. I'm gaining a bit of confidence they're the real McCoy. The eBay seller swears they are, and at $89, a real savings.
                    You're greens are a bit grey like mine. Blue is true, like mine. I'd be interested in seeing images in bright sunlight. Seems to be when things go toward violet. I dunno, perhaps it's a side effect of the infrared sensitivity.

Comment

There is a post online somewhere comparing the fake and real ones next to each other.

http://www.gadgetvictims.com/2009/09...m-fi8908w.html

Of course fakes can get better all the time, and to know if it's fake you might actually need to contact foscam

But still... the main question is will it work for you and do what you want it to even if it's fake?

The main reason I'd be concerned is that if the quality of the image is much poorer than that of a real one. Not to say it is.
                      Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Thanks Zimmer. I'd aready been all over that site,
                        I've fired off an email to Foscam tech support. We'll see.

Comment

A bit of news relating to "clones".

Interesting message tonight from Ebay relating to a deal on a 2.5" WD Sata 1 TB drive a couple of days ago. It was from China being sold as an authentic Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 2.0 external drive.

Dear user

We're writing to let you know that we removed the listing for the following item that you bid on or won:

1234567890 - Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 2.0

Most items listed on eBay are legitimate, and there are many things we do to protect our members from buying items that aren't. One thing we do is remove items reported to us as allegedly infringing through the eBay VeRO program.

In this case, we removed the listing because the copyright or trademark owner of this product reported that they believe the item may not be authentic.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

How's an honest scammer supposed to make a living these days?

Comment

I received a response from Foscam:

Dear sir,

Thanks a lot for your email.

Your camera is original and it has the latest firmware.

As you know,low cost camera has CMOS sensor,it may cause color cast if the light is too strong or
                              too week.I think it is normal.

Best Regards

Sarah Zhang (Miss)
                              Technical Support&Service Team
                              Email: tech@foscam.com

Foscam Intelligent Technology co., Ltd.
                              Tel: 86-755-2674 5668
                              Fax: 86-755-2674 5168

Mobile: +86 15117454607
                              www.foscam.com

Comment

Working...
                              X