IP Cam Variability ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP Cam Variability ?

I was reading this review and started to secong guess the Foscam IP cameras. It does say even with the latest firmware that fixed most issues the camera can still be overcome.

Shaw the probability of something like this happening?

Is it better to keep all the IP cams behind the router (no port forwarding)?

Could one create a standalone lan and utilize the second lan port on my motherboard in conjunction with firewall software to make the device secure?

What's everyone else's input about security of IP cameras being they don't operate behind my pc firewall?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20338...chers-say.html
    Last edited by CharlieWayne; June 9th, 2013, 04:07 PM.
    HSPro: 3.0.0.194
    PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
    HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

I have slowly been moving towards VPN access to my LAN through L2TP / IPSEC since I have one or two esxi servers which can handle this. I just turn on the VPN prior to opening the cam viewer software (externally) then can see the cameras as if i was on the internal network (all without port forwarding the cameras). It also makes me a bit more comfortable given that the other way (e.g. with port forwarding) can open up the camera's too much, especially given that usernames and passwords for authentication (at least in my models) are sent as plaintext
    HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

IP Cam Variability ?

I had a similar VPN setup for a while, but these days just use SSH tunneling. The end result is the same; nothing enters the house network without the tunnel encryption first. This way all communication is secure, cameras, Homeseer traffic, and all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Here I also utilize SSH tunneling.

The IP cameras though are all talking to Zoneminder.

That said its only one IP (reverse proxy).

https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Key...ins_With_Putty

You can do a VPN tunnel like the following for free. (the story behind this (years ago) was migrating from the secure id tokens with monthly charges for thousands versus a "free" vpn).

https://vpn.ual.com/
        Last edited by Pete; June 8th, 2013, 09:21 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.500 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit Intel CPU - Mono 5.18
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.531 (Linux) - ARMBian Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit Arm CPU - Mono 5.20

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Well thats comforting to know any install of IP cams could not be overcome easily. I glimpsed into the software and suggestions yall spoke of and its all new to me. Very interesting though.

Thanks for this info.
          PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
          HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Charlie,

Have a look at CT.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/2...72hd/?p=196822

I am converting a Speco IP67 outdoor dome camera to HD IP.

The new combo camera board / IP boards are so small that I had no issues doing the conversion. Its is a plug n play installation as I am going to just replace the analog camera (Speco) with the newly converted IP camera with a wider lens. I have left the analog cables in place such that the camera will talk both IP HD and analog SD.

Moved pics to the DIY section.
            Last edited by Pete; June 9th, 2013, 09:30 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.531 (Linux) - ARMBian Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit Arm CPU - Mono 5.20

Comment

I looked at the postings on the other form and looks interesting.

You said something about barrel connectors. I've always used 3M connectors but you can't reuse the connection like a barrel connector. I first started using this wiring in closed circuit telephones on oil drill rigs ad nver had an issue with moisture. Here's a link http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...JQ4gl&MDR=true

I hope soon to get working again on my HA build, but before I add anything more I want to move my structured media to a larger more accessible location. Once that area is established it will be SO much easier to do homeruns and access the media cabnets.

One thing i noticed is all the reliability and rma issues. What's the reason behind all this? I've got lots of things to do and working on something twice is not my cup tea.

As always its interesting to see what your upto with the redevelopment of the wheel. Lol.

Comment

Thank you Charlie.

Moving towards all IP HD cameras outside. It does create problems a bit. POE though is the easiest to work with outside. Right now many of my cams are using cat5e with baluns for video and power. They have done fine outside (in outdoor boxes).

With the new HD IP cameras its the POE connection outside that is an issue.

The Ubiquiti Aircam has the IP POE connection inside of the camera with a sealed cover to it. It works well this way.

The Grandstream IP Camera has a pigtail with an IP connection. This is not sealed though so you would have to mount it on an outdoor plastic box and put the connection inside of the plastic box.

The Grandstream board with pigtail installed inside of the Speco Dome is not really an issue as the dome itself mounts on an outdoor box such that all of the cables are inside of the box.

I enrolled in the beta group for the Ubiquiti Aircam; I am play much with the camera and it did hiccup with a new firmware update. Return / RMA was no issue.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

IP Cam Variability ?

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post

Could one create a standalone lan and utilize the second lan port on my motherboard in conjunction with firewall software to make the device secure?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20338...chers-say.html
                  Charlie, I don't know much about "tunneling etc". So I use MS Remote Desktop to access my computer running WebcamXP. I am able to view all my IP cams and my analog cams this way. I think it's pretty secure, but I'm not an expert. Since Homeseer is also on the same computer, I can pretty much do anything I need via Remote Desktop (RDP).

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                  2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Like the idea about remote desktop as you can work on HS, PLUGINS, and background software while away from site.

But I'm still courious if I built a standalone LAN for the IP Cameras and then run that LAN into my second lan jack on my motherboard. I would think that anything on the IP Camera LAN would behing the pc's firewall but I'm not sure. Do anyone have experience with this?

This would utilize ICS in Windows7 ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ection-Sharing )

My mobo is a EVGA Z68 FTW and houses 2 LAN x 10/100/1000 (Marvell 88E8057)
                    http://www.evga.com/Products/Product...160-SB-E689-KR

So my question again is will putting my IP Cams and DVR on their on LAN behind my Mani PC offer and advantage or increase in security?

Comment

I guess what I'm trying to achieve with the above mentioned setup is to have all the bandwidth cameras on their own LAN but also have them behind firewall if I open ports on the router.

Is there any logic in my idea?

My main pc runs HS serves up all the media for WMC and extenders on my current LAN and the second LAN would be the IP Cameras and IP Analog DVR being monitored by software such as VitaminD.

Comment

Here the increase in traffic gave me issues with my HAI OPII panel networking / serial connections.

I am now streaming more cameras and doing HD movie / TV streaming on the network.

I did recently move my HAI Omnitouch screens / HAI OPII panel to an autonomous network (now #3 networks in the house).

The CCTV is right now split between analog and digital. The analog is split to Zoneminder and an HAI Omnitouch combo hub and video server.

Is there any logic in my idea?
                        yes and no.

You would be better off just creating another LAN for the cameras / server if that is what you want to do but not via a second nic but rather just use a cheap combo router/firewall switch.

Another thing you can do is just utilize a software firewall with multiple interfaces and multiple switches(today I have two inside and one outside interface).

You could then lock down each network and have them all talk to each other.

WAN====Firewall/router ===> here going to:
                        LAN-1
                        LAN-2
                        LAN-3
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I think what I'm getting at here are 2 concerns, Speed & Security. I need to look back into what yall posted about tunneling so let me understand the wiring infrastructure.

Speed being that the camera network would be on its own LAN network with PoE switches and a primary network for media, WiFi, & internet that has gigbit switches.

What you talked about woupd both being its on network but tied into a central switch that will feed both networks through 1 cat 6 cable to my pc. Wouldn't this possible create a bottleneck if demand exceeded that cables potential?

Another idea being with my orginal thought would be to bridge the 2 LAN ports on my mobo. 1 LAN for media & internet and the 2nd LAN for Camera's. Being there bridged I think the Router would still be able to assign IPs to the camera network without using software on the pc to manager the camera network and no bottleneck would occur with streaming media.

This are just thoughts as I've never go at anything like this.

Comment

Gb for speed.

Relating to IP cameras and if they are HD; the real speed you will see is inside of your network. Viewing via the WAN (say phone or laptop) your bottleneck will be your ISP connection. You will not really be able to stream HD via the WAN and barely maybe 320X240 or 640X480 pixel resolution.

If you utilize a CCTV IP server then all of the cameras will only talk to this box and you can control your streaming resolution, FPS, et al plus have only one IP to deal with. About securing your cameras from the outside world; don't open up any ports on your firewall. If you want to then look at different means or ways of getting to your cameras from the outside utilizing only one pipe. You can make that pipe as secure as you want or not secure at all.

Recently helped a neighbor with his security cams at three different locations. His only concern was the viewing of the cams. All of the access was set up as defaults.

Not sure what you mean by security?

You can do anything just about with your firewall.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Re: IP Cam Variability ?

Great info.

By security I was referring to outside threats from hackers or whatever like talked about in the orginal post hyperlink .

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                              X