No announcement yet.

IP Cam Variability ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been mentioning the move to HD IP cameras. It will most likely push the network a bit once I convert all of the analog cameras to digital. The technology/prices are coming down fast. Finding outdoor 1080 IP HD dome cams now for less than $200. With this migration will probably need to upgrade the camera server to something a bit beefier.

Attached is a 720 picture. 1080 will be a bit more crisp and will utilize much more bandwidth.

I also noticed yesterday that I could lock up HSTouch running two HD streams on it. This is running HSTouch on core duo. Its the software though rather than the CPU that binding up. I can though side mount VLC or XBMC and stream HD just fine.

The first picture is mjpeg streaming and the second one is RTSP streaming.

Another "thing" I noticed is that the RTSP stream / controls opens up multiple ports. This does introduce some variables per cameras which would be preferable to not play with and utilize a digital DVR box for streaming.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete; June 11th, 2013, 07:53 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.500 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit Intel CPU - Mono 5.18
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.500 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit Arm CPU - Mono 5.20

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Re: IP Cam Variability ?

Those shots are very clear. I can't wait to expand further my project. I've decided to move my structured media closet but it won't be that much seeing I don't have much vested yet. Most of my wires to all my drops in the walls have been removed or cleaned up so once I get the structured components and cabinets everything will be a breeze.

My pc has an i7-2600, SSD, and lots of ram but with plans 4 media extenders and 12-16 camera running with VitaminD software I'm courious to know what the pc and networks will do under such load.

Over the last months I've been looking at many systems in hopes of this coming massive expansion but right now things are on hold till my health improves.

The other day my HOA set out a letter to the community says our cable contract is up and their entertaining the idea of contracting Verizon to install the Fios network. I'm excited with this as my upload speeds will be at least 5-10 times more than the current. This would be good for streaming media or camera feed when I'm on the road. Time will tell and fingers crossed.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
      HSPro: 3.0.0.194
      PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
      HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Charlie,

First things first; take care of yourself as really without your health nothing else counts.

Installing first outdoor IP HD 1080 dome camera outside. It is using a 4mm lens. It will be more bandwidth.

I still have one media extender configured in the MB. That said though I have gone to utilizing Aopen Digital engines as my "media extenders" running XBMC now via 16Gb SSD drives. Current version of XBMC does do nice live TV and has some nice PVR functions. Most of all its very light. I have one Blue Ray player on the shelf and its not connected to the internet and is mostly off as I rip the Blue ray / DVD disks to the NAS these days and just play the movies from there instead. Its been maybe 2-3 years that I have watched a blue ray or DVD disk.

My current Zoneminder CCTV box is running with 8 analog and 8 IP connections. 2 (4) of the IP connections are 720P. It is a 4 Gb 32bit Ubuntu box and I am pushing the CPU now to some 95% utilization. Moving to 1080 HD IP cams will overutilize the current box. Plans here are to build a second box with maybe an I5 at 64bits with 8 Gb of memory. It will still be high utilization.

I have separated my media sources; IE: NAS boxes, MyTV box, TV via Internet box, et al. With XBMC I stream from either the boxes or the internet.

In Florida our little 50 house subdivision got FIOS a few years back. That said Comcast was around but they never upgraded their infrastructure until recently. Originally I was using DSL there with Verizon. My current FIOS set up is the combo phone, internet and TV at around $150/month. Recently Verizon did try a no notice "slammed" upgrade to my service upping the monthly rates. Kind of PO'd me and making me reconsider Comcast again.

The uploading to the internet speeds are typically capped at slower than download speeds. Here its about 30 down and 4 up these days with Comcast. A premium upgrade would give me a faster up. CCTV box streams multiples of same camera; SD and HD.

Attached is a copy of the Verizon May, 2013 bill. It shows 15 down and 5 up which is part of the triple play package. The original "slamming" was increasing it to $176. You can do better if you a la carte the phone service to Ooma maybe?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Pete; June 14th, 2013, 08:56 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.500 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit Arm CPU - Mono 5.20

Comment

Little bit off topic but I didn't want to high jack another thread u were posting on. I seen in a thread named HS1, HS2, HS3 you were talking about irrigation and installing a shutoff valve on your irrigation main.

My irrigation main line is either 1" or 1 1/4" and from what I seen their was a zwave valve but the cost is pushing 500 dollars or so.

Have you found any solutions that are cheaper?

Back on topic. Pretty much I think I've summed up the info needed to start the design of a camera network.
          1) Cat 6 STP homeruns to each IP Camera and to the Analog DVR device.
          2) All Cat 6 will have home runs to a 10/100 PoE switch.
          3) CAT 6 Cable from 10/100 PoE SW itch to my LAN Gigabit switch.
          4) security can be done through tunneling or streaming outbound through firewall software on PC. Will not open ports on router/modem to prevent inbound threats.

PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
          HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

I have a 1" main copper line running to the outdoor 10 zone manifold (with solenoids) here.

Current I have a water meter on just that run connected to a 1-wire dual counter. I also added another water meter next the city water meter.

There is a group buy right now going on for an electronic water valve on Cocoontech. I am purchasing two 3/4" valves for $40 each. I don't care about the reduction of the flow right now as I use a Davey booster pump for the water. The 1" with 1" bore are more expensive.

I am putting one valve next the manual valve for the sprinkler feeds and another one on the ingress by the main water lines. (been soldering copper tubing a bunch lately). You need to wire for it and you can then control it with your Elk Panel.

IE: today I have flood detectors plugged into the HAI OPII panel.

Looks good for the camera network.

My outside periferal analog cams are some 75-100 feet of cat5e with baluns for video and power and have done well over the last few years. I just converted one periferal analog cam to digital IP and its using a cat5e run buried some 10 years ago. It is working fine. The baluns for analog video seemed to work better than the RG6 I installed many years ago.
            Last edited by Pete; June 14th, 2013, 09:23 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

man i got to get my cameras setup.. i end up buying stuff but never install..

i bought 2 of those radio shack clearance (schlage?) ip cameras.. both flashed and just sitting.. havent ran them yet..

got 1 cctv camera ran and running.. but the other not done as I dont know how to run the wires (no walls in my house line up from basement to attic other than outer walls...

so i have to look into these ip cameras more... i still want to install a few more cameras.....
              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                I have a 1" main copper line running to the outdoor 10 zone manifold (with solenoids) here.

Current I have a water meter on just that run connected to a 1-wire dual counter. I also added another water meter next the city water meter.

There is a group buy right now going on for an electronic water valve on Cocoontech. I am purchasing two 3/4" valves for $40 each. I don't care about the reduction of the flow right now as I use a Davey booster pump for the water. The 1" with 1" bore are more expensive.
                Do you have a web link for that group buy?

What about the 1", knowing they cost more do u have links for more affordable solutions such as 12/24 vac valve like on pool controls, or anything more affordable then 500 dollar zwave valves.

Again thanks Pete for all your input on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
                  Back on topic. Pretty much I think I've summed up the info needed to start the design of a camera network.
                  1) Cat 6 STP homeruns to each IP Camera and to the Analog DVR device.
                  2) All Cat 6 will have home runs to a 10/100 PoE switch.
                  3) CAT 6 Cable from 10/100 PoE SW itch to my LAN Gigabit switch.
                  4) security can be done through tunneling or streaming outbound through firewall software on PC. Will not open ports on router/modem to prevent inbound threats.

Id just add to consider UPS for the camera POE switch, and also your vital infrastructure (Gigabit switch, router, homeseer machine) depending on what your needs are, with a UPS that is sourced to provide you with enough up-time for the cameras should a power outage occur. You are do some great things with cameras (e.g. Zoneminder and XAP) which will make your automation life even more interesting.

The other thing you might want to consider with your Camera network (assuming you have a separate machine running Zoneminder) is some form of storage (e.g. NAS) since these machines can consume quite abit of space if you are recording video and the likes.

All food for thought , but enjoy the fun!!
                  HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

The electronic water valve group buy is here:

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/2...-4#entry196816

Thinking its almost to a point of ordering. From the looks of it these are very good valves typically resold here for much more money.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Travis,

I have one UPC already but once I put all the structured pannels and components together Foresure it would be time to reevaluate a large size.

One thing I can foresee is that running monitoring software like VitaminD or Zoneminder is that will rules and conditions it would significantly reduced the need for storage capacity of hard drives.

Great thoughts.

Right now my focus is all the hardware mounted in the structured cabnet area and things like individual cameras can be researched later. With so many choices of camera's that's gonna be time consuming.

Can't wait to have to general design and layout finished so I can unleash my carpenter on the framing and drywalling for the structured media room..

Pete- I posted on the other forum about the water valves. I'm down with buying three valves today, tomorrow, or whenever the order gets placed.

Comment

Good news on the water valves Charlie. I think you will be pleased.

Yeah here I let the ZM box get about 80% full then just autopurge it.

BTW about 3 weeks ago moved my HAI OPII panel and HAI IP touchscreens (Omnitouch 5.7e's) to a separate network because the traffic on the main network was actually causing issues for me. Its basically just an autonomous network with one POE switch connected to a firewall outside of the main firewall. The Omnitouch 5.7e's are getting the IP video stuff from the ZM box which is still sitting on the main network and is working with a rules set now to manage mostly the traffic. The legacy serial Omnitouch 5.7's are getting their video from a HAI Omnitouch combo touch screen server and camera server with analog feeds from the ZM box which I know split via small video amps.

Analog cams = = > video amp splitter = = >
                        1 - Zoneminder analog inputs
                        2 - HAI Analog video server for Omnitouch 5.7 Serial touchscreens

Digital cams = = > Zoneminder = = >
                        1 - IP touchscreens running on Atom's, DE's, CE and Android (Homeseer Touch and whaterver)- now runs well on XBMC only DE's connected to LCD TV's.
                        2 - HAI Omnitouch 5.7e IP CE touchscreens (most current revision of HAI firmware allows me to install the IP cam configurations to the panel which in turn pushes the configurations to the touchscreens)

Internet ==> Zoneminder for all of the camera views (whether digital or analog) (via regular interface or custom mobile interfaces). This is the fastest view with some motion. Note this will not really work using HSTouch outside of the home network.
                        Last edited by Pete; June 15th, 2013, 06:40 AM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                        X