No announcement yet.

DC power wiring through wall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a deal on them a few years back...too good to pass up (bulk purchase).

Kind of went nuts with these in the midwest house attic. I still though have plywood cat walks though.

I use the highest part of the attic though to run the cabling using plastic PVC pipe hooks. In the center where the chase goes to the basement I also have set up some "flooring" and more light and stuff.

I had to add new circuits and did fish some HV in the conduit from the basement to the attic; it was a PITA. The main floor has a kind of attic space between it and the 2nd floor. Thinking its like 1.5 to 2.0 feet from ceiling to bottom of 2nd floor. I have never really seen anything like that. That said though it made it easy to do the in ceiling speakers in the family room. (actually anything in the ceilings on the main floor). In FL the ceilings are really high which is a PITA as I have to utilize a high ladder to do stuff (change speakers etc). (I did though wire for everything there).

The lift though uses a 24 volt relay switch. It is slow and uses a steel cable winch to lower and raise the chandelier. It was a major endeavor. I think I did do a pictorial and posted it here somewhere.

The attached JPG is just a stock photo that I found googling. My wiring chases, wires and conduit and other stuff is not really a "willy nilly" deal like you see below being a bit more structured (even though I really am the only one that sees it).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete; July 24th, 2013, 04:12 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.500 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit Intel CPU - Mono 5.18
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.500 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit Arm CPU - Mono 5.20

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Now I know what you were referring to. I almost bought a bunch of those once too, because they are lightweight and therefore easier to haul around and install. However, they do assume your joists are exactly 16in oc, which wasn't quite the case for me. Midwestern framing is probably more precise than it is in Texas.

As you may already know, if you're running your wiring and cable close to the roof deck or on the rafters, it (again) helps to know what the maximum temps there will be because it can affect the ampacity of the wire that you're using. The derating rules and calculations are covered in the NEC, although it seems like not many people are aware of it. In theory, if your wire is further covered by heavy insulation, there should be additional derating also, but the NEC doesn't yet require it.
      Last edited by NeverDie; July 24th, 2013, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks David,

The panels did fit well and easy to install. I have had to bend pipe and whatever and noticed that kneeling on this stuff is rough on the knees versus wood; age thing I suppose.

The cables are hanging a bit down with the PVC J hooks. That said I do see some of the quad shielded RG-6 becoming brittle. It is a dual RG-6 monster cable....kind of bugs me but I do not really touch it. The shielding is starting show in some spots.

So far sound, network and rest is doing OK other than what I see with the RG6.

I did have an issue with an exterior door mag switch tugging on the wire when the temps changed one year giving me false positives on the panel. The door frame had shifted some and my wires were too tight. The switch was into the frame of the door such that I had to redo a bit of the frame and rewire. It was time consuming.
        Last edited by Pete; July 25th, 2013, 07:23 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.500 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit Arm CPU - Mono 5.20

Comment

Would a circular, surface mount junction box that the foscam then gets attached to also solve the OP's asthetic conern by further concealing the wiring connections to the foscam?
          Yup. I am playing with those for outside mounting of the Grandstream IP HD with power and NIC pigtails. I've been using these for a few years now for outside LV stuff.
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Wow, I had no idea where this thread could go... Cool, I learned a few things.

I went "shopping" in my garage the night after my first post and found just what Olbrit had suggested. I bought these years ago and never used them for their intended purpose. I've installed one for one of my indoor cameras and installed it in the ceiling as this camera is in the basement and with the lower ceiling it is at the top of the wall. I figured it would be difficult to fish the wire down into the wall and through a hole that is only 3/8" diameter and close to the top plate. Plus drilling down through the top plate is not easy in a basement with a finished ceiling. In my other location I have attic access and I plan to drop a string and fish it out with a coat hanger with a hook bent on the end. Actually my wife usually does the coat hanger fishing when I'm still in the attic, save me a trip down.

I've attached a couple pics of the pass-thru and the install. Thanks for all the ideas.
            Attached Files

Comment

Very nice there!

Still have after many years now an older Panasonic PT IP camera in the unfinished basement.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Jabran, looks great! BTW how are you supporting the Foscam? It looks like it's 3 inches or so from the ceiling and there's a plate or something on the side wall. I decided to install my 4 Foscams flush to the ceiling and so reduce the length of visible wires.
                All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

The Foscam is attached to the wall using the included mounting bracket with two screws with drywall anchors. In another location I cut a 1/4" thick piece of plywood to fit the Foscam bracket (to give it a flat surface) and then used one of the large 3M removable adhesive strips to attach the camera. I've removed it once and re-attached it and no problem. The 3M tape holds the camera weight just fine as long as you actually follow the instruction and wait about 10 minutes after attaching the tape and bracket to the wall before putting the full weight of the camera on the tape, I learned that the through experience. Here's a pic of the one with the 3M strip.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Good tip!
                    All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Working...
                    X