Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arlo

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Hmm, on Android, I could not get the Gelocation service to work, it triggered randomly, and lots of talk about this issue on the Arlo forum.

    As for your virtual device, you don't really need it. For the IFTTT action, have it trigger an HS event. Then have the action of that event run another event and check the options to honor conditions. A little odd and we should probably have an option to honor conditions when an event is manually triggered. But this would simplify things a little for you.

    I am currently using Tasker on my phone to do the Geolocation, that works perfectly.

    Originally posted by emiliosic View Post
    I'm using IFTTT to trigger HS3 to turn on outdoor lights when one of the Arlo Pro cameras detect motion. This works relatively well, via IFTTT, the delay is reasonable, within about 2 seconds it works like this:
    Via IFTTT, turn on a virtual HS3 device, which in turn triggers an event that does this:
    - Turns off said virtual device
    - Checks if the lights are off, otherwise don't trigger
    - Checks if it's day or night. Only triggers at night
    - Turns the lights for a set amount of time, turns them off after.
    The virtual device is because I can't trigger the event from IFTTT and check for the other conditions as well. Seems like an otherwise unnecessary step.

    As per the location service, I use the geolocation function of IFTTT, which triggers a virtual device, one for each family member. Then the 'house mode' (home/away/vacation) is its own virtual device. Through events, the house mode goes away when all devices controlled by IFTTT geolocation are away, and back home when at least one is home.
    I do trigger arlos back to Armed when the house is away, but it doesn't always work (geolocation is much more reliable). I think it's because the HS3 integration doesn't always trigger right away. Arlo's integration with IFTTT is more reliable, and IFTTT triggering HS3 works very well.
    A workaround could be to use the IFTTT Webhooks integration (used to be called Maker, as per Makezine, but it was renamed to Webhooks). If I can find an easy way for IFTTT to send an API request via a script, it should be a lot more reliable. Unfortunately didn't have enough time to play with HS3 and find how to do this.
    website | buy now | support | youtube

    Comment


      #17
      Thanks for your suggestion about cascading events, it's a bit simpler.

      Tasker seems interesting, but it's only for Android. Perhaps IFTTT works better on iOS, at least for geolocation, although it does have glitches occasionally.
      How does something like Tasker communicate with HS3?

      I'm interested in triggering IFTTT from HS3 using IFTTT's WebHooks. Any suggestion on an HS3 script that would send a REST request?

      IFTTT's WebHooks is straightforward (for a REST API):
      Make a POST or GET web request to: https://maker.ifttt.com/trigger/{event}/with/key/{my unique key}
      With an optional JSON body of:
      { "value1" : "", "value2" : "", "value3" : "" }

      It can in turn trigger Arlo actions, show a notification, etc.

      Originally posted by rjh View Post
      Hmm, on Android, I could not get the Gelocation service to work, it triggered randomly, and lots of talk about this issue on the Arlo forum.

      As for your virtual device, you don't really need it. For the IFTTT action, have it trigger an HS event. Then have the action of that event run another event and check the options to honor conditions. A little odd and we should probably have an option to honor conditions when an event is manually triggered. But this would simplify things a little for you.

      I am currently using Tasker on my phone to do the Geolocation, that works perfectly.

      Comment


        #18
        Tasker has the ability to access a URL as an action, so I just use a myhs URL to access my HS system with:

        http://connected2.homeseer.com/json?...&password=PASS

        For having HS access a url, just use hs.GetURL(...)

        Originally posted by emiliosic View Post
        Thanks for your suggestion about cascading events, it's a bit simpler.

        Tasker seems interesting, but it's only for Android. Perhaps IFTTT works better on iOS, at least for geolocation, although it does have glitches occasionally.
        How does something like Tasker communicate with HS3?

        I'm interested in triggering IFTTT from HS3 using IFTTT's WebHooks. Any suggestion on an HS3 script that would send a REST request?

        IFTTT's WebHooks is straightforward (for a REST API):
        Make a POST or GET web request to: https://maker.ifttt.com/trigger/{event}/with/key/{my unique key}
        With an optional JSON body of:
        { "value1" : "", "value2" : "", "value3" : "" }

        It can in turn trigger Arlo actions, show a notification, etc.
        website | buy now | support | youtube

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by rjh View Post
          Tasker has the ability to access a URL as an action, so I just use a myhs URL to access my HS system with:

          http://connected2.homeseer.com/json?...&password=PASS

          For having HS access a url, just use hs.GetURL(...)
          Sounds interesting, but I'm new to HS, can you please provide details what exactly you are doing.
          I'm using Tasker for years, love it.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by emiliosic View Post
            I'm using IFTTT to trigger HS3 to turn on outdoor lights when one of the Arlo Pro cameras detect motion. This works relatively well, via IFTTT, the delay is reasonable, within about 2 seconds
            I guess it's in US - both Arlo and IFTTT servers are in US as well. Here in Australia it's useless...

            Comment


              #21
              Rick, glad to see you have an Arlo system. Hopefully this means we'll have an integration soon 😀 Currently I treat it as a completely independent system Like you mentioned the key to battery life is to disarm when not needed. For this the Arlo geolocation works quite reliably on my iPhone and I've only had to charge the batteries twice in 8 months.

              Would be great to have some type of integration between HS and Arlo. Something to change the Arlo mode, control a HS device when motion is detected and even trigger recording or take a picture would be awesome. Probably not possible but a local integration would be amazing.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by rjh View Post
                ....A little odd and we should probably have an option to honor conditions when an event is manually triggered. But this would simplify things a little for you.
                Now there's a good idea, I wonder why nobody has suggested it before

                Comment


                  #23
                  I'd just like to add that I've been looking into the new Arlo Pro 2, and should Rich get a plugin working, I would be very interested in purchasing it!

                  I'm curious how well the Arlo Solar Panel would work since the "record 3-seconds prior" feature seems to only work when the Arlo is plugged into an outlet. Perhaps the solar panel would suffice to be able to take advantage of that feature.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    I am writing a script to arm/disarm Arlo if anyone is interested in me posting it...

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by mbirrell View Post
                      I am writing a script to arm/disarm Arlo if anyone is interested in me posting it...
                      I would be very interested in your arm/disarm scripts. Thank you for offering to post your scripts!

                      Comment


                        #26
                        @mstukel - ok I have just completed authentication and now am working on the actual arm/disarm part. My Arlo cams are the only part that isn't able to be controlled by homeseer directly at the moment. It will be good to finish the script.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          @mbirrell +1, I would also be very interested in your arm/disarm scripts.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Keep in mind that this could be done today via IFTTT

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by emiliosic View Post
                              Keep in mind that this could be done today via IFTTT
                              I guess everybody knows that, but IFTTT is unreliable and slow.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
                                I guess everybody knows that, but IFTTT is unreliable and slow.
                                Totally agree!

                                Anyone made any progress on an Arlo plug-in. I would love it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X