Camera Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera Recommendation

This may be the wrong section for this post, if so please let me know!
    I'm looking at PoE Bullet Cameras for outdoor use. I'm trying to minimize the amount of work in installing these, and the cable off the back of the camera would be entirely outdoors (i.e. not through a wall). I'm trying to find a camera that has a mount that encloses the PoE connector so that it's not exposed to the elements. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks

Have a look here:

CCTV Forum - Security Cameras

and here

CCTV Forum - Installation tips

Cocoontech
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

If you're running your cat5 cable exposed, i'd definitely recommend taking a look at ubiquity's tough cable line, if you haven't already found the cable you are running.

At about 9-15 cents a foot depending on supplier, you can't beat it for quality, shielded, outdoor, UV rated, weatherproof jacketed cat5 cable. Here is an amazon link.

Their "carrier grade" tough cable is even more insane, nearly the same protection as the Motorola spec'd (cambium) cable at half the price.

Comment

The trending with the exposed pigtails on the new cameras has been to mount them on a weatherproof box which is a bit of a PITA especially if you are mounting them under a roof overhang that is typically just thin vented aluminum. Here I mounted mine on wood trim and pushed the pigtail into the attic and sealed the hole (which also is a PITA). I do have all of the rest of them mounted on weatherproof grey boxes with sealed covers and they do hold up under the weather.

The Ubiquti Aircam had the catxx POE connection inside of the camera with a sealed weather cover on it.

They do sell weatherproof catXX connector shells but I haven't seen clam shell like ones.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hey Pete,

While cruzin around on ebay tonight I noticed IP cameras are hitting new lows.

Seen several that state there 720p for $25-$30 range & 1080p for $50-$65. They all ship straight from China. Any experience with these?
          HSPro: 3.0.0.194
          PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
          HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
            Hey Pete,

While cruzin around on ebay tonight I noticed IP cameras are hitting new lows.

Seen several that state there 720p for $25-$30 range & 1080p for $50-$65. They all ship straight from China. Any experience with these?
            I have a Chinese webcam, HKVision 1080 POE, works fine. The connection is a pigtail. Mine is mounted on a wall and the pigtail is long enough to run inside, however the connector is in a waterproof case so I could connect outside,

Comment

Here I went to using Grandstream / Grandstream OS (tinkering) via a company called cameras 2000.

Over the years purchased the Grandstream cams from suppliers here and the Grandstream OS board and cams from the company mentioned above.

I've never had an issue and their support and return policies have been great.

All of the camera boards I purchased had many features which at the time were not available here.

Really though it's really up to you. HKVision cameras are really popular these days.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

For a 3MP POE bullet, these look pretty attractive for the price:
                http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-Mult...5%3A2470955011
                Mike

Comment

Think I might have to give HKVison a try. Do you notice much difference in clarity between the 720p and 1080p? How about the data storage, do you notice much difference in that as well?

One camera I'm trying to find is a doorbell & camera combo. What I'm seeing is lots of proprietary where they offer an app or such but that won't work for us HS users. Even I fear the WiFi models will be locked to their apps.

What were looking for is a simple pushbutton door switch with a camera (either IP or bnc) that I can interface with HS.
                  I've always looked the look of the one below. Anyone see any solutions or have any thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434435451812.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1179128

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                  PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                  HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

There is a lot of very cheap HI3518E based cams out there.

I tried one. It's a very good cam for the price. But there's no snapshot URL hence I gave up on them.

This thread is the only good source of information on HI3518E I found. http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread....-Far-!!)/page5

Regards
                    Morten

Comment

Originally posted by mhn View Post

I tried one. It's a very good cam for the price. But there's no snapshot URL hence I gave up on them.

This thread is the only good source of information on HI3518E I found. http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread....-Far-!!)/page5

Regards
                      Morten
                      Looked over that thread and seen some sample video in the posters 1st post. Found the exact camera he's using for only $21. Are you suggesting just to buy a entry doorbell benzel like above and mount this behind it? (obviously I would drill a hole in the benzel)

Comment

Originally posted by mhn View Post

Regards
                        Morten
                        This user mentions and describes how todo snapshots. Did you see this? Read through many of the postings and that board seems like alot of work. I think if I could find a similar camera that worked out of the box I would pay the extra $20 bucks or what ever.

Comment

Charlie, with HS2 and HS3, I use an immediate script to grab a snapshot with my IP cameras. The script I use in HS 2 is:

Launch Application:http://192.168.1.100:8xxx/adminSetti...apture&camID=2

You will need to tailor it to your specific camera.

In HS2 my doorbell triggers an event to speak "someone is at the front door" and to capture a photo from my front door camera. This works pretty well, but will sometimes miss the photo because the camera is pretty slow to respond to the http command.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
                            This user mentions and describes how todo snapshots. Did you see this? Read through many of the postings and that board seems like alot of work. I think if I could find a similar camera that worked out of the box I would pay the extra $20 bucks or what ever.
                            Yes I saw it. But I find it too complicated just to get a snapshot. I gave up on that type of cam. I will wait for a Grandstream clone offer somewhere. :-)

If you are willing to setup a "big system" to get a snapshot the cam gives a lot of picture/$.

Regards
                            Morten

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X