Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy cameras for HS or Blue Iris and switch type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jayh391
    replied
    Have you had time

John

Just checking back on this.... How are you doing this?

Thank you Jay

Originally posted by Jayh391 View Post
    John

That would great! To see the settings.

Thanks Jay

Leave a comment:

• Jayh391
    replied
    Garage Server

Originally posted by lj502 View Post
    I setup cameras on the main server that pull the feeds from the garage server, like the garage sever is just another IP camera. I can pull up the setting later when I get back.
    John
    John

That would great! To see the settings.

Thanks Jay

Leave a comment:

• lj502
    replied
    I setup cameras on the main server that pull the feeds from the garage server, like the garage sever is just another IP camera. I can pull up the setting later when I get back.
    John

Leave a comment:

• Jayh391
    replied
    How are you feeding to main server?

Nothing fancy just an Asus I5 2.90 ghz with integrated graphics, win 7 64, and 3 USB cards. That machine runs 8 cameras and I have another smaller machine with 5 cams in the garage that feeds those cameras to the main server over my network. I ran 10 cameras for a while on the main server but I moved some cameras and decided to split the load, the main server rarely goes over 50% CPU load.

John
    John

How are you feeding to main server?

Jay

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    @Jeff

pete.. got a model number on that? I would love one in white....
    For a while they had all kinds of colors. My exterior coach lights are all black. You could probably take the lamp apart and paint it white. This is the style of coach lights that I always see but they are either black or white.

Here is the camera and link. I did the link pricing with a 4mm lense and POE. $281.00 USD with free shipping.

They have another one for $171.99 USD here.

I have purchased many cameras at this place and have not had an issue to date.

Here is a black one but I do not know how much it is. Well too its a 2 MP camera so it much be cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    regular dome camera can experience reflections off the plastic dome and show up as artifacts in the recorded video.
    I have seen the same with all glass / plastic domes.

These type do not have those reflections.

Leave a comment:

• TeleFragger
    replied
    I have been running Microsoft USB 720p lifecams (11) for over 3 years without one failure, all using USB extenders from monoprice (up to 100'). I had to add USB cards to my server to handle them all but they are inexpensive and simple. All the the cameras are powered off the USB port so as long as the server is on they are powered. Initially I started with them as a test and kept adding more, then I really liked the ease of setup add they just don't break. I recently lost most off my network to lightning even my blueiris server lost its HDMI output, the dust settled and the only thing left running (still on battery backup) was my server and all cameras filmed some awesome lightning.

John
    instead of cards.. how about a usb powered hub?

because now you got me looking at this...

Leave a comment:

• TeleFragger
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Which outdoor Foscam dome camera did you decide to use?

Here is a picture of a POE IP HD 3MP camera mounted in a coach lamp. It is sold as an LED illuminated coach lamp.
    pete.. got a model number on that? I would love one in white....

Leave a comment:

• Fester
    replied
    I have been looking at the Hikvision 3MP turret camera for our front door, as I saw a post somewhere that said a regular dome camera can experience reflections off the plastic dome and show up as artifacts in the recorded video. I had a night vision camera that, when the infrared LED's were on made the video image foggy looking. I really don't want to go with a bullet camera by our front door.

My Lenovo i7 gets delivered today, then I will need to purchase Blue Iris software. Next Monday my Nortel Baystack 5520-48T-PWR PoE 48-Port Gigabit + 4x SFP GBIC Switch will be delivered - it is a managed switch. And with POE over all 48 ports, I think I'm set as far as that goes.... I highly doubt I will EVER need 47 cameras!!!!

I also got a laptop to run the HS software on, but alas the dvd drive won't read discs. It sees the drive itself, but when I put a disk in it makes clicking noises and beeps but never reads the disc. When I double click the e drive icon the drive opens and it prompts me to put a disc in. When I check the driver info Windows says the drive is working and the driver that I'm using is the best one. So that will be going in for warranty work.

Leave a comment:

• DevinH
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete View Post
    I went with this one: http://foscam.us/outdoor-cameras/fos...amera-174.html.

It's only 640x480, but that seems plenty good for viewing the front door and small porch area.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied

Here is a picture of a POE IP HD 3MP camera mounted in a coach lamp. It is sold as an LED illuminated coach lamp.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete; August 16, 2015, 04:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DevinH
    replied
    I'm bran new to security cameras as well. Just got my first one installed a few days ago. I went with an outdoor dome style Foscam, admittedly, because it looks nice (decorative), which was important to my wife. She hates bullet style cameras and think they look too intimidating to the majority of people that, legitimately, approach our house.

It's a wifi or ethernet camera and is not PoE by default, but I was able to buy a PoE splitter to convert it to one. I went with a BV Tech 4 port PoE switch (unmanaged) which I thought was reasonably priced at $50 (I was shocked to see how expensive PoE switches were). It only works at 10/100 speeds, but my camera (and probably future ones) is not capable of GB speeds anyway.

Do to the recommendations on another thread, I was convinced to go with BI instead of a hardware NVR. My server, which acts as a simple domain controller, file server, and client backup server, doesn't really meet the requirements of BI, so I went with an Intel NUC kit as a small form factor BI machine (really neat devices!) I went with the i5 kit, gave it 4GB ram, 64GB M.2 ssd, and 2TB external USB and installed Win10. It was between $400-500 for the setup.

I'm still playing with and learning BI, but so far everything appears to be working great. I'm hoping to dig into the HS integration this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• lj502
    replied
    Nothing fancy just an Asus I5 2.90 ghz with integrated graphics, win 7 64, and 3 USB cards. That machine runs 8 cameras and I have another smaller machine with 5 cams in the garage that feeds those cameras to the main server over my network. I ran 10 cameras for a while on the main server but I moved some cameras and decided to split the load, the main server rarely goes over 50% CPU load.

John

Leave a comment:

• TomTom
    replied
    John, what are the specs of your blue iris server?

Leave a comment:

• lj502
    replied
    I have been running Microsoft USB 720p lifecams (11) for over 3 years without one failure, all using USB extenders from monoprice (up to 100'). I had to add USB cards to my server to handle them all but they are inexpensive and simple. All the the cameras are powered off the USB port so as long as the server is on they are powered. Initially I started with them as a test and kept adding more, then I really liked the ease of setup add they just don't break. I recently lost most off my network to lightning even my blueiris server lost its HDMI output, the dust settled and the only thing left running (still on battery backup) was my server and all cameras filmed some awesome lightning.

John

Leave a comment:

Working...
X