Synology Surveillance Station plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Kriz83,
    Thanks for the reply. I had exchanged emails with the support desk and sent them the link errors a couple of days ago. After confirming, they said they would get it fixed. Just checked, and as you stated, all is now working fine. Now that I can get to the product page, I see that it states Surveillance Station 7.2 but the current version is 8.2+, any issue here?

I will have 5 or 6 cameras, how does this affect my decision? It will be 24/7, but some cameras would only record when motion detected. I'll would probably dedicate an RS819 to the surveillance function as my current RS818 is pretty much maxed out with it's current duties. I don't have a dedicated PC at this time but could get one if needed (would be rack mount like the rest of my house stuff so a little more of a pain). Probably use mostly Amcrest 4K cameras, all supported.

Comment

• Hey Kriz
      Quick follow-up. There are a couple of ways to get to the plug-ins:
      First: https://shop.homeseer.com/collections/plug-ins
      Then: https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...in-type_camera
      Which then gets you to:
      https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...lug-in-for-hs3
      This works fine.

The other way which I usually use is:
      https://homeseer.com/homeseer-plug-ins/
      Then under cameras: http://store.homeseer.com/store/Surv...HS3-P2235.aspx
      This does not work for me.

Can not go directly to plug-in page, must instead go to collections/plug-in page. All the rest of the links on plug-in page work. It is only SS that does not work.

Comment

• I'll look into it later, have lots of other projects going on currently.
        What would the license cost for 5-6 cameras be ? Can the Synology handle that kind of load ?

Comment

• Two licenses free, then add 4 license pack for $189.
          RS819 handles 30 camera clients but not in reality, 56TB storage internal. Using MJPEG, most intensive can handle total frame rate 80 FPS (5MP), using H.264 at 4K then 110 fps. More Synology specs below. Quad Core Realtek ARM CPU.

So I believe it can handle the load, but I have not looked at what a dedicated modern PC can do with Blue Iris. I'll look at that next for comparison.
          Total FPS (H.264)* 900 FPS @ 720p (1280x720)
          300 FPS @ 1080p (1920x1080)
          240 FPS @ 3M (2048x1536)
          150 FPS @ 5M (2591x1944)
          110 FPS @ 4K (3840x2160)
          Total FPS (H.265)* 900 FPS @ 720p (1280x720)
          450 FPS @ 1080p (1920x1080)
          360 FPS @ 3M (2048x1536)
          250 FPS @ 5M (2591x1944)
          180 FPS @ 4K (3840x2160)
          Total FPS (MJPEG)* 300 FPS @ 720p (1280x720)
          200 FPS @ 1080p (1920x1080)
          130 FPS @ 3M (2048x1536)
          80 FPS @ 5M (2591x1944)

Comment

• Just thought I would update on my thought process of selecting Blue Iris or Surveillance Station in case you have any thoughts.

Surveillance Station: It looks like it would be better for me to go with a Synology DS918+ as it is more than twice bandwidth (200 Frame Rate versus 80 for RS819), and is a few dollars cheaper. I lose rack mounting but I have space in the equipment closet on a shelf.

Blue Iris: Looked into rack mount refurbished servers, but they are limiting, only a few support 3.5" Diskdrives (I use UltraStars for everything (8TB for this application)). And most of the rack servers use Intel CPUs that do not support internal graphics (none support quick sync). Commercial rack server fans tend to be loud as well, at least my two are loud when working. So I would head down the refurbished Dell Opti or similar direction and replace the spinning drive and set it on a shelf in the closet (maybe replace fan to be safe). I like the features of Blue Iris and still have a few things to look into (finding a supported LPR camera) and functionality interactions. Also looking at a build of a generic Rack Mount PC like in the old Media Server days.

Anyone have any thoughts, just let me know.

Comment

• Another follow-up:

First off, I went down the Blue Iris path, partly for performance reasons (adding more 4K cameras than expected, adding License plate recognition software, and playing with face recognition software...). Also because the energy/interest on this Synology forum has dried up and not sure if there would be help or support going forward.

On the Blue Iris path, after struggling with a decent rack mount PC solution and not finding one for my needs I bought a cheap new I7 Power Spec PC ($600 and change on sale) with 500BG SSD and 16GB memory and then added two 8TB enterprise drives and an additional ENET port. Happy so far. Installing new Dahua cameras now. Plenty of current interest and energy on the Blue Iris solution.

Comment

Working...
              X