Can we keep updating HS3 plugins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we keep updating HS3 plugins

Due the small userbase, I will not convert my plugin (Surveillance station) to HS4, because the HS3 plugin works just fine.
    Can i keep updating the plugin in the foreseeable future, or will updates of existing plugins be blocked sometime ?

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post
    Due the small userbase, I will not convert my plugin (Surveillance station) to HS4, because the HS3 plugin works just fine.
    Can i keep updating the plugin in the foreseeable future, or will updates of existing plugins be blocked sometime ?
    I hope not, this will be death sentence for HS and HST.

Unless "sometime" is a year time.

Comment

I will not update it, not even after a year. Not worth my time for some pennies :-)

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
      I hope not, this will be death sentence for HS and HST..
      Why do you think so? Other devs could decide to not add new functionality to the HS3 version (which will push ppl to the HS4 version).

Comment

kriz83 ,
        Why don't you just develop a completely new plugin for HS4? The better the functionality, will push people to it. Given the new devices (cameras and NVRs) with AI there is a lot left to be desired. When you look at HS camera integration, it's quite ..................need we say more?
        Not everyone likes or wants to use node-red but one could only be left to wonder that what if they could just add OnVif protocol, the cameras just integrate easily in their product.

But who am I to argue about that? Am not software designer but a wishful thinker

For amazing triggers, check out this node-red plugin : node-red-contrib-onvif-nodes for ideas

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
          kriz83 ,
          Why don't you just develop a completely new plugin for HS4?
          Because it takes time (a lot of time) - for no obvious benefit?

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

Because it takes time (a lot of time) - for no obvious benefit?
            I get you man, I have seen the posts lately! It's like being in love with someone whose mind is elsewhere Can you relate to that or mirror that? I think am being too hash there!

Eman.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
              Why don't you just develop a completely new plugin for HS4?
              It crossed my mind. I made some money with the plugin over time (i keep on supporting it !), but creating a new plugin is a lot of effort. HS takes a 30% cut, on a plugin that has a limited userbase. If you count the money vs effort ratio, it's really not worth the time.

Adding features to the existing plugin is quite easy, given the architecture i've put in place. Porting that to HS4 (a platform that I'm not using myself), is just too much :-)

Comment

Just as has happened with HS2 the same will happen to HS4. It will be a few years but eventually HS will stop supporting HS3 in the future and you'll want to move to HS5/6/7 due to new functionality. This is simply the nature of software progression.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post

It crossed my mind. I made some money with the plugin over time (i keep on supporting it !), but creating a new plugin is a lot of effort. HS takes a 30% cut, on a plugin that has a limited userbase. If you count the money vs effort ratio, it's really not worth the time.

Adding features to the existing plugin is quite easy, given the architecture i've put in place. Porting that to HS4 (a platform that I'm not using myself), is just too much :-)
                  Please?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am watching the space

Eman.

Comment

We'll see. Maybe later on, currently too busy with doing custom integrations around the globe (Belgium, US, Norway, Netherlands, ...).

All from the comfort of my desk :-P

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                      Just as has happened with HS2 the same will happen to HS4. It will be a few years but eventually HS will stop supporting HS3 in the future and you'll want to move to HS5/6/7 due to new functionality. This is simply the nature of software progression.
                      A couple of years is fine. Maybe I've switched back then, who knows

Comment

If a HS3 plugin works fine in HS4, I can't see HST suddenly stopping HS3 functionality in HS4 over time. There would be an outcry! Whilst HS3 will fade away, stopping working HS3 plugins in the HS4 store would be a loss of revenue... something they need to keep afloat.
                        Jon

Comment

What I meant was: will they refuse to approve updates within this and say 2 years.

If HS4 seems like a success and a lot of new users are attracted, i might revise my decision. But TBH i don't see that happen in the next 16 months

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                            If a HS3 plugin works fine in HS4, I can't see HST suddenly stopping HS3 functionality in HS4 over time. There would be an outcry! Whilst HS3 will fade away, stopping working HS3 plugins in the HS4 store would be a loss of revenue... something they need to keep afloat.
                            What about the loss of how much I put in only for the plugins? I have at most 20 paid for plugins!

What is the law about lost investment? I mean I will be at a loss as well! Please don't even mention it

Eman.

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                              I think my concern would be around the functionality that exists in HS3 that is not in the new HS4 API (I'm thinking multi instance for example) and when that old HS3 functionality gets removed from HS4? If the intent was to keep supporting those features in those plugins why not just put them in the HS4?

Comment

Working...
                              X