Can we keep updating HS3 plugins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post
    HS takes a 30% cut, on a plugin that has a limited userbase. If you count the money vs effort ratio, it's really not worth the time.
    jseer promised to review their pricing policy 6 months ago, any news? Or Jon choose to ignore my messages as always?

Originally posted by Eman View Post
    What about the loss of how much I put in only for the plugins? I have at most 20 paid for plugins!
    What is the law about lost investment? I mean I will be at a loss as well!
    Eman - you are talking about loss of ~$600? For me (as plugin developer) if I need to spend 20 hours on each plugin - very minimal estimate given my experience with HS source code - and hourly rate $50 - it will cost me $1000 per plugin. Multiply by 9 plugins - I need to invest $9000 (minimum). So I'm talking thousands here. And on top HST take 30% from the beer money I make. Totally doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post

What about the loss of how much I put in only for the plugins? I have at most 20 paid for plugins!

What is the law about lost investment? I mean I will be at a loss as well! Please don't even mention it

Eman.
      Nobody is forcing you to upgrade to HS4. Many people still use HS2 and a few have HS1 running. If HS3 does what you want there is no need to upgrade. Its a bit like the millions of Win 7 users who refuse to upgrade to Win 10! If a Win 7 program did not work in Win 10, would you sue M$?

Personally, I'm in no hurry to change over to HS4 on my production system as the usability is currently less than HS3. I'm not at all happy with the current 'text' database but time will tell on that one. The new additions such as categories, backup and camera integration may be nice for some but not life changing. Plugins such as BLBackup in HS3 do their job admirably.

Whilst HS4 offers you a wealth of new free plugins, many will never have the finesse and functionality of a plugin written by a 3rd party developer who are normally open to feature requests and bug reports. I know Spud has written many of the HS4 plugins; however I cannot see HST paying him to constantly update these over time. Maybe I am wrong on this. HST record in the past is to provide a basic plugin and then move on to something else. The only exception is obviously the Z-wave plugin. Time will tell.....
      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
        jseer promised to review their pricing policy 6 months ago, any news? Or Jon choose to ignore my messages as always?
        I guess they are still working out the details, like the bug ticketing system ;-)

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
        If a HS3 plugin works fine in HS4, I can't see HST suddenly stopping HS3 functionality in HS4 over time. There would be an outcry! Whilst HS3 will fade away, stopping working HS3 plugins in the HS4 store would be a loss of revenue... something they need to keep afloat.
        The reasoning behind my question was the whole fuzz that they would not allow new HS3 plugins anymore. What if they block plugin updates once HS4 goes live ? With the 'old' system, I could just update the file on my web server and the new version was available to anyone. Now I have to wait till someone approves the update ...

Comment

Eman - you are talking about loss of ~$600? For me (as plugin developer) if I need to spend 20 hours on each plugin - very minimal estimate given my experience with HS source code - and hourly rate $50 - it will cost me $1000 per plugin. Multiply by 9 plugins - I need to invest $9000 (minimum). So I'm talking thousands here. And on top HST take 30% from the beer money I make. Totally doesn't make sense.
          What?!!!!

It really hurts!

Eman.
          TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

It is not because devs will loose more money that user money doesn’t count..

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
              I agree Matt. But it's not "will loose" - it's "loose" already.

Comment

And the only reason I'm still doing it - because I promised my users free HS4 upgrade, I keep my word.

Comment

I agree Matt. But it's not "will loose" - it's "loose" already.
                  yeah true !

Comment

By pure curiosity, how was the situation when hs2 did upgrade to hs3?

-How was the situation between hst and plugin devs.

-How was the situation between hst and users.

-How was the situation between plugin devs and users?

Comment

HS2 plugins were completely incompatible with HS3 so the situation of partial compatibility didn't arise, anyone who wanted to develop them for HS3 had no choice but to rewrite them. Some again chose not to take the journey, some did.

At least last time from memory there was more engagement with developers from HST about what HS3 was going to offer and some active discussions and changes made (I think the control use parameter was one of the things fought for which later came in incredibly useful), there was also developer webinars about changes and how to write for the new SDK. This time around it seems to have landed on the developers with a bit of a surprise and not a huge amount of engagement...

Comment

I think the difference back then - IMHO, I wasn't doing HS then:

1. Home automation wasn't wide spread (and often free) like these days, i.e. HASS, Open Hub, etc. didn't exist. So the users were more loyal and patient with HST.
                        2. The number of plugin developers was also pretty limited and had the privilege of talking to HST (and HST talking to them)
                        3. And HST was more enthusiastic and less arrogant, I really wonder why it changed?

Comment

I think the difference back then - IMHO, I wasn't doing HS then:

1. Home automation wasn't wide spread (and often free) like these days, i.e. HASS, Open Hub, etc. didn't exist. So the users were more loyal and patient with HST.
                          2. The number of plugin developers was also pretty limited and had the privilege of talking to HST (and HST talking to them)
                          3. And HST was more enthusiastic and less arrogant, I really wonder why it changed?
                          In terms of point two I'm not sure if there were less developers in all honesty - that to me has always appeared a stable number with people coming and going (people who actively develop plugins are what - 20 people?). In terms of point three then I think they were a little more engaged, I'm not sure any arrogance/less enthusiasm, if it exists, is intentional and merely a byproduct of limited time and resources on part of HST. When Rick left I am sure there was a void in the development side of things as replacing that niche knowledge must've been difficult.

Comment

I think it is this. On the HASS forums you see quite some more advanced and long term users abandoning the ship (including me).

HS was one of the only serious HA platforms. Things have changed, and the open source projects are making huge and rapid steps. This unfortunately means breaking changes from time to time, but my customers are ok with the trade off.

Somehow this thread completely derailed :-)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X