Plugin ID with HS3 vs HS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
    That would be a challenging issue in my opinion as the HS4 plugin (and yours too as I understood) will start converting stuff, leaving devices and events unusable for the HS3 version of the plugin. I do agree with you it should be possible to have a trial, but with a LARGE warning for users to have a backup... there is no other way back after that?
    You are correct. I have provided instructions for backing up and rolling back. It’s up to them.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post

this is the exact problem my existing HS3 users are having. They should be able to run the hs4 plugin in trial mode before they are forced to either rollback or buy the license.

This is what I'm asking HST/Rich to fix.

The licensing software leaves a lot to be desired!

the problem appears to be that the licensing system doesn't recognize the hs4 plugin as different than the hs3 plugin when the IDs are the same.
      Interesting, this was exactly the reason I decided to go with a new ID, so the user could run the 2 version in parallel, use the 30 days and then decide to migrate the config data (or not). Once migrated, the HS3 version cannot run anymore, unless you restore everything from back-up, no roll--back possible.

Wim, I may need to check what Rich might have added, It all started with the inability to change the interface (or was it pluginID) in the events, so no way to migrate those.

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

Interesting, this was exactly the reason I decided to go with a new ID, so the user could run the 2 version in parallel, use the 30 days and then decide to migrate the config data (or not). Once migrated, the HS3 version cannot run anymore, unless you restore everything from back-up, no roll--back possible.

Wim, I may need to check what Rich might have added, It all started with the inability to change the interface (or was it pluginID) in the events, so no way to migrate those.
        so this is a no win situation. if you keep the same plugin ID, you can migrate the triggers and actions, but the licensing is all messed up. And if you change IDs, the licensing works but then you can't migration the triggers and actions.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

When I took over the HS3 KNX plugin I migrated immediately to HS4 and retained the original plugin’s dll so I was able to decode the original plugin’s events and PED while at the same time created a new HS4 plugin ID/I interface.

Comment

Working...
          X