HS4 Plugin direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 Plugin direction

Let's say I want to write an HS4 plugin, using the new bootstrap UI. This new plugin would then only run on HS4.
    If I want an HS3 version of the plugin, I have to write an HS3 plugin, then be stuck with the old JQuery interface in HS4?
    Now I have an HS3 plugin and an HS4 plugin to maintain?

What's my incentive to write a new plugin for HS4 if it wont run on HS3?

I'm trying to figure out the best direction for developing a *new* plugin, not migrating an existing one from HS3. What would you do?
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Would be nice if you could have a hybrid plugin. Different methods that can be called from HS3 or 4. That way your core logic is all the same and the display code is all separate and can be different for the 2 versions.

Comment

Hello,

I don’t know if it is posted somewhere, but since HS4 upgrade will probably not be free, can you please detail what are the « killer features » that will make current HS3 users jump to HS4.
      From what I can see so far, changes are mainly visible at the UI level of the webserver, when most HS3 user I know do not really use the webserver (except for initial setup). They usually interract with their system through custom HSTouch UI (which for me was and remain a key feature of HS2/3). Even the new mobile app does not seem to be very popular around me (but maybe we are isolated cases).

Of course, porting plugins to HS4 will help to HS4 success. But since plugin developpment is time consuming, I think it would be great if you can share a least hints of the business plan behind HS4 developpement.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Shodan View Post
        Hello,

I don’t know if it is posted somewhere, but since HS4 upgrade will probably not be free, can you please detail what are the « killer features » that will make current HS3 users jump to HS4.
        From what I can see so far, changes are mainly visible at the UI level of the webserver, when most HS3 user I know do not really use the webserver (except for initial setup). They usually interract with their system through custom HST UI (which for me was and remain a key feature of HS3). Even the new mobile app does not seem to be very popular around me (but maybe we are isolated cases).

Of course, porting plugins to HS4 will help to HS4 success. But since plugin developpment is time consuming, I think it would be great if tou can share a least hints of the business plan behind HS4 developpement.

Thank you.
        Good question... what are the "New Features" or is all of this just a major face lift?

Comment

Yeah, that might be a better way to phrase my question:

What features will motivate me to write an HS4 plugin instead of HS3?
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

What features will motivate me to write an HS4 plugin instead of HS3?
            HS3 will die just as HS2 and HS1 did. There will be no store or updater for HS3 and HS3 user base will dwindle over time. While I still run HS1, I have no expectation that that any updates will occur.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post

HS3 will die just as HS2 and HS1 did. There will be no store or updater for HS3 and HS3 user base will dwindle over time. While I still run HS1, I have no expectation that that any updates will occur.
              So you're saying there is no incentive to upgrade? How does what you say answer the question?

I interpret it as "You should upgrade your plugin because eventually you'll lose the opportunity to sell it because they changed the name of the software to HS4 instead of HS3."

Comment

Seems to me a lot of energy is being spent on a UI that is compatible with phones and cloud stuff. One reason for HomeSeer's continued existence is the fact that it is locally based system behind firewalls and isn't dependent on cloud access. Cloud interfaces (optional) is okay, but going any further than that, wouldn't it be easier for a customer to just use Google Home and SmartThings? Just curious, not trying to start anything.
                -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
                VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
                Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

Originally posted by lpitman View Post
                  Seems to me a lot of energy is being spent on a UI that is compatible with phones and cloud stuff. One reason for HomeSeer's continued existence is the fact that it is locally based system behind firewalls and isn't dependent on cloud access. Cloud interfaces (optional) is okay, but going any further than that, wouldn't it be easier for a customer to just use Google Home and SmartThings? Just curious, not trying to start anything.
                  Oh you're not "starting" anything. Just reiterating the obvious except you left out cheaper for customers to use those other systems.

Comment

Originally posted by lpitman View Post
                    Larry, you're not wrong! We did spend a lot of time revamping our UI. Our HS3 UI is the number one complaint from customers. Users claim it looks outdated and old school. We addressed that with HomeSeer Mobile and are now doing that with HS4 Web Interface. HomeSeer will still be 100% able to be ran behind firewalls and be cloud independent however, we need to conscious that the cloud is relevant and continuing to ignore it would be a poor decision for us.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post

So you're saying there is no incentive to upgrade? How does what you say answer the question?

I interpret it as "You should upgrade your plugin because eventually you'll lose the opportunity to sell it because they changed the name of the software to HS4 instead of HS3."
                      HS4 is designed to give customers a better experience with the addition of new features to bring in new customers that all developers can sell their products to. I know, UPGRADES have been the talk of the forum but we are not only focused on upgrading users but also bringing in new customers to expand the HS ecosystem. Both HS and developers benefit the most from a growing user-base while maintaining the existing.

~Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Shodan View Post
                        Hello,

From what I can see so far, changes are mainly visible at the UI level of the webserver, when most HS3 user I know do not really use the webserver (except for initial setup). They usually interract with their system through custom HSTouch UI (which for me was and remain a key feature of HS2/3). Even the new mobile app does not seem to be very popular around me (but maybe we are isolated cases).

Of course, porting plugins to HS4 will help to HS4 success. But since plugin developpment is time consuming, I think it would be great if you can share a least hints of the business plan behind HS4 developpement.

Thank you.
                        This was posted inside another thread but I brought it out to its own thread: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...4-feature-list

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

~Jon

Comment

Working...
                        X