This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jseer View Post

We have not blocked any new HS3 plugins. In fact, we have approved several in the the past few months. Are you experiencing issues submitting HS3 plugins? I am curious as to where that information is coming from.
    May be your own announcement October last year?

Comment

We have not blocked any new HS3 plugins. In fact, we have approved several in the the past few months. Are you experiencing issues submitting HS3 plugins? I am curious as to where that information is coming from.
      Last year while HS4 was still in development it was announced and made very clear to developers that NO NEW HS3 plugins would be approved AND even in the plugin portal there was a very large banner with the cut off date. So we (developers) got the information from YOU... (HST).

It would seem you've "quietly" reverted that stance and are now playing the ignorance card when questioned about it. This is one (of many) reasons I opted to stop developing for HS... the communication issues and quiet changes.

Comment

This is not really fair. I remember this announcement on the portal as well, and the (strong) feedback that was giving by us, the developers. A few days later this has been reverted and this was clearly communicated somewhere on this forum...
        stefxx

Comment

Quite some ppl on this thread are already on there :-)

Comment

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
            This is not really fair. I remember this announcement on the portal as well, and the (strong) feedback that was giving by us, the developers. A few days later this has been reverted and this was clearly communicated somewhere on this forum...
            Who are you replying to?

Comment

HST did. I don't know when your reverted that change.

stefxx mentioned a thread. I distinctly remember posting a thread on my concerns about this very topic and the banner in the portal. I can no longer find that post. Either HST removed it, or I am misremembering.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post

HST did. I don't know when your reverted that change.

stefxx mentioned a thread. I distinctly remember posting a thread on my concerns about this very topic and the banner in the portal. I can no longer find that post. Either HST removed it, or I am misremembering.
                We did post that to the portal originally and after hearing developers input we decided to remove it and clearly removed that restriction based on the feedback. I am referring to currently/recently. I wanted to investigate for you to ensure that you're not experiencing a denial of HS3 submissions because you should not!

Comment

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
                  Thank you for bringing this up. Yes we did make a mistake in that decision and that restriction was removed based on the feedback we received. It's been many months of HS3 plugin submissions and I wanted to ensure that sirmeili was not experiencing this. I was not trying to claim "ignorance", simply trying to help. (no good deed goes unpunished).

Comment

We did post that to the portal originally and after hearing developers input we decided to remove it and clearly removed that restriction based on the feedback. I am referring to currently/recently. I wanted to investigate for you to ensure that you're not experiencing a denial of HS3 submissions because you should not!
                    I never tried. I have a couple of plugins I would want to release, but because I don't have time to do HS4 conversions, I wanted to release on HS3. I stopped thinking about those. I'm glad to hear that you are allowing them. I may have a few I push in.

(not that i won't ever do HS4 plugins, but right now, HS3 is [more] stable and I want the stable user base)

Comment

Thank you for bringing this up. Yes we did make a mistake in that decision and that restriction was removed based on the feedback we received. It's been many months of HS3 plugin submissions and I wanted to ensure that sirmeili was not experiencing this. I was not trying to claim "ignorance", simply trying to help. (no good deed goes unpunished).
                      I think you missed the point of the problem.....

1. HST says no more HS3 plugins
                      2. Developer uproar
                      3. HST doesn't care, no communications...
                      4. Uproar posting... deleted... gone... never happened
                      5. HST "allows" HS3 plugins again... Quietly... no communication....
                      6. Posts that HS3 plugins are being approved... since when? Nobody knew about this... no communication.

I think the problem we have here is a lack of communication? Which BTW was the heated topic of yet another post from the private developer forum. Go figure. This HS3 plugin ban was also a reason I stopped developing for HS. I wasn't going to support dual HS3/HS4 plugins and I wasn't going to develop for a alpha/beta product. Removing the ability to sell HS3 plugins killed development from me. Now you're reverting this and without communication? Hmm.. back to that communication issue.

alexbk66 sirmeili stefxx bpwwer kriz83 Michael McSharry

I tagged some of the other developers that have been active to keep me honest. Curious though... there's A LOT of developers that are MIA for a long time. Since HS4 alpha and HS3 plugin ban.... curious.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisH
                        If anyone is interested in other discussion about HS4 there is an ongoing thread here
                        https://community.home-assistant.io/...er-hs4-refugee
                        Well, jseer , Rupp , rjh - it looks like there's quite a few "bad apples" out there?

I suggest you finally admit your F#UP. And do something about it. Probably just take an extension with HS4 - and apologise to the users and plugin developers.

And probably refund the poor users who made a mistake of paying for the upgrade upfront - putting too much trust in you development abilities.

I'm exploring HA too.

Comment

Not sure about the HS3 plugin announcement. I probably just missed it. I do agree on the terrible communication, it is starting to become the trademark of HST unfortunately. All I can say is that my plugin sales have severly dropped.

I am on the HA board too (as Devastator). I have completely abandonned the HS ship after the HS4 "announcement". I will keep on supporting/creating plugins, but I will not be using HS myself anymore. Maybe in the future I switch back, but currently I prefer the abilities (and UI) of HA.

I am installing the beta from time to time, to see what is at play.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post
                            Not sure about the HS3 plugin announcement. I probably just missed it. I do agree on the terrible communication, it is starting to become the trademark of HST unfortunately. All I can say is that my plugin sales have severly dropped.

I am on the HA board too (as Devastator). I have completely abandonned the HS ship after the HS4 "announcement". I will keep on supporting/creating plugins, but I will not be using HS myself anymore. Maybe in the future I switch back, but currently I prefer the abilities (and UI) of HA.

I am installing the beta from time to time, to see what is at play.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

The ban of "new" HS3 plugins was what made my decision to completely leave plugin development and give plugins to other developers. I knew from the start and previews of HS4 I wasn't going to use it myself so I wouldn't develop for it. I would have continued using and developing for HS3 but the "ban" killed that so I just walked away completely. Stopped using HS entirely.

Lack of communication, bad communication, bad decisions around communication, bad decisions around tools and bug tracking.... wow... what's next? Maybe alexbk66 nailed it on the head and it's time for a freeze and re-grouping?

Comment

Originally posted by simplextech View Post
                              alexbk66 nailed it on the head and it's time for a freeze and re-grouping?
                              This is an issue i deal with daily. We are 6 months behind on our project. Unrealistic expectations, overworking people to meet impossible deadlines and the refusal to step back and look at the issue realistically. HS4 was supposed to be out in November (I believe). I find that people get hyper focused on dates and refuse to take the reality of the situation into account. Sometimes you need to just step back and re-evaluate. this might mean pushing deadlines out well past where they are desired, but the end product will be so much better.

I haven't tried HS4 in 6ish months (mostly due to lack of time), but based on some of the posts (like using JSON as a storage DB for devices) shows me this is still more than likely in the alpha stage and not beta. Too many important decisions are being rushed and in the end it will severely hurt the product as a whole and therefore sales and customer satisfaction.

the short of it is: HST needs to regroup really think about the reality of where they are and where they can be and when they can get there.

Comment

I'm pissed off because I have customers - and a few new customers - who need automation, some building new houses and need to make the decision NOW.

I was promoting HomeSeer (obviously) - but now I can't recommend HomeSeer (obviously) - because HS3 is obsolete but HS4 doesn't exist. And customers need automation NOW.

And all this "strategy" (not) affected my income. And all we hear from HST - oh, bad apples, just shut up...

Comment

Working...
                                X