Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can our Device (the root) have a status?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s HomeSeer, the irony here is they act with us like a parent-child relationship. They will just loses consumers over time. Do they care, I do not know. I guess hs4 will be the last version...Realistically, they can’t compete with new platform... and if they would wanted to .. it would take a complete rewrite of hs. Hs seems to have added wrapper to another wrapper since the beginning with their code, and doing half projects (hsmobile, hstouch, hs4). I am pretty sure the limit doing that is in a near future.

I’ll finish this there , the comment will be moderated anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
      I’ll finish this there , the comment will be moderated anyways.
      It might not me moderated, since the development section is almost entirely ignored by HST :-)
      Same as with GitHub ...

All joking aside, I feel your pain...

Comment

With my monoprice amp plugin I gave up trying to conceptualize how it should be constructed with the new API.
        It's an amplifier with 6 zones each having multiple controls.
        The amp itself has features such as "all zones off" but then each zone has "on/off"
        so is the amp the root of all it's features and zones or is each zone a root? Amps can be daisy changed for up to 18 zones, so when someone adds an additional amp who's the root now? What about multi instance? I heard that has gone away. So if I have two chains of 3 amps for a total of 36 zones what should the root be?
        I just don't get it.

When I look at the plugin now using HS4 grid view it looks like treble is the primary feature, how did that happen? When I click on any of the place holders at the top for things like power, balance, treble, etc.. it bring up a menu that has all the features on it, but if I click on controls I just get treble? That doesn't make sense, if anything it's backwards.

What I decided to do is just use the HS3 method of things then I tell my users to run the "fix parent child relationships" tool under labs and ignore the grid view. If you don't like it I'll give you your money back. (It's a free plugin, ).
        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
          When I look at the plugin now using HS4 grid view it looks like treble is the primary feature, how did that happen?
          They pick the features to display in grid view based on what type/subtype you set on each feature - the enums from Devices/Identification folder in PluginSdk.
          I.e. for volume control to display in grid view the "feature" device should have type/subtype (EFeatureType.Media, EMediaFeatureSubType.PlayerVolume)
          Since their selection logic is not documented (and will never be) - it takes trial and error to get it right (as close to right as possible).

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
            That’s HomeSeer, the irony here is they act with us like a parent-child relationship. They will just loses consumers over time. Do they care, I do not know. I guess hs4 will be the last version...
            Hee hee - sorry, had to chuckle at this one. Everybody said that when (20 years ago) HS went from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3. The later part of 1 (1.7?) is when the plug-in API was created.

I fight app UI changes in my mind all the time; most of the time I cannot figure out why a UI that people are used to has to change, but it is what it is. I worked alongside Rich for 13 years and I did not always agree, but I did always respect his decisions and sometimes I was wrong. We all hate change... but - I think that having gone through 1 to 2 and 2 to 3, that to suggest going from 3 to 4 will wipe them out is a bit of a chuckle to me.

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
              Everybody said that when (20 years ago) HS went from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3.
              The only difference is - HASS (and others) didn't exist back then. Now they do.

Comment

Unless it changed dramatically for the better in the past two years, HASS is still way too immature to be a decent competitor to HS in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X