Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to replace a " ° " character in a vb script ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to replace a " ° " character in a vb script ?

I am trying to build a specific weather forecast phrase to be sopken out of Sonos from different "Environment Canada" weather plugin devices.

The problem I am having is I have a specific device string that contains the " ° " caracter that i would like to replace by "Degré Celcius" but I can't find a way for the Replace function to detect and replace this specific caracter.

Here's an exemple that I am using for many other caracters and words replacement: ResSommaire = Replace(ResSommaire ,"05h00","à cinq heure. ") and this works fine but if iI try the below line (where DevTemp is 7.7°C)

ResTemp = Replace(DevTemp,"°C"," degré celsius")

the results of ResTemp is always 7.7°C and not 7.7 degré celsius as I would expect it to be

Any idea ?
    thanks

You could try: ResTemp = Replace( DevTemp, Chr(176), " degré celsius")
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Uncle Michael Unfortunatly, your solution gives the same results, the " ° " caracter is still not recognised by the replace function with chr(176), thanks for the try

Comment

You need to examine the actual device string code as it may contain html code for the degree symbol. If you have my device viewer & documenter installed, you can use the advanced view to see the string (code) being used.

Example below:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	0 Size:	40.3 KB ID:	1505645

Alternatively, you can right-click on the web page and select 'view source' and try to find it there.
        Jon

Comment

jon00 I just tried the device viewer utility and there does not seem to be any HTML:

Click image for larger version

Name:	aaa.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	1505784

I guess I need to find a way to enter ResTemp = Replace(DevTemp,"°C"," degré celsius") in the script but if I enter this line in the script editor, the editor immediatly change the ° by " ° "

Comment

° is the html code for the character °

You will need to use a standard text editor rather than Homeseer's which is limited.
            Jon

Comment

jon00 thank you so much, I edited the file with Note entered ResTemp = Replace(DevTemp,"°C"," degré celsius") and now it works.

Comment

Originally posted by goldriver View Post
                jon00 thank you so much, I edited the file with Note entered ResTemp = Replace(DevTemp,"°C"," degré celsius") and now it works.
                Just remember NOT to open it in Homeseer's editor or it will be modified!
                Jon

Comment

What about using this instead ℃
                  it’s the actual degree C symbol

HTML code is
                  &#8451
                  You have to add a ; after the code above.

Roger D

Comment

Working...
                  X