Getting HomeSeer to "play nice" with a plugin under development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting HomeSeer to "play nice" with a plugin under development

I have a new plugin that I am now testing with HomeSeer using Visual Studio. I have been using Visual Studio to start the plugin exe which then connects to HomeSeer and waits for the InitIO() callback. Since I am in development, I end up restarting the plugin after I run a test, make a code change, or run into a bug. I restart the plugin by either killing the console window or terminating the Visual Basic debug session.

I have been working with this environment for about a day and I am now having trouble getting HomeSeer to issue the InitIO() callback after I restart my plugin. I have a breakpoint set in the InitIO callback and have found that it can take up to 10 minutes for HomeSeer to make the callback after I have restarted the plugin a couple times. I have to restart HomeSeer to get it to immediately make the InitIO() callback when it gets into this state.

So what do I need to do to get HomeSeer to "play nice" with my plugin under development?

I've seen this if you create objects (such as web pages, config pages) on a secondary thread that doesn't last as long as your plugins . Rich suggested I move the page registration calls into my InitIO() for this reason, and the issue went away (I was otherwise seeing this and my config pages not always registering after a restart)

Comment

Originally posted by bsobel View Post
      I've seen this if you create objects (such as web pages, config pages) on a secondary thread that doesn't last as long as your plugins . Rich suggested I move the page registration calls into my InitIO() for this reason, and the issue went away (I was otherwise seeing this and my config pages not always registering after a restart)
      Thanks again for the info. I think you are right.

I am using a modified version of the HSPI_SAMPLE_BASICMI sample code. I modified it so that it only registers pages from the main thread of InitIO(). I have restarted the plugin a couple times and HomeSeer is calling InitIO() immediately after I start the plugin. I am keeping my fingers crossed...

Comment

Working...
      X