X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion ► Home-assistant WS plugin

A Home assistant plugin via their websocket API:

https://developers.home-assistant.io...websocket.html

Interesting..... However curious... if the user has enough capability to run HA... why not just run HA entirely?

Comment

The user :

1.Install home assistant.
      2.Modify the configuration file to add platforms ( or this could be done by the Homeseer plugin?)
      ---

3.Get entities status from HA via WS
      4. Control the entities via http ( #4-5 can be the same device in homeseer)
      5. The user use the HS3 event engine to mix and Automate HA & HS3.

Comment

I'm still trying to understand the benefit here. I like HA and have it running as well for testing and other things. But... I'm trying to figure out what features, capabilities HA would bring to HS3 that do not exist already or could not be done with a stand alone plugin? I know that HA has a ton of components and a lot of them are well done but a lot of them could also be done as a native HS3 plugin. So if there are HA components that you want as a plugin... that I understand and get the benefit of. I also get the using HS3 event engine to control things, but if the devices are or can be native to HS3 I think that would be preferred?

Granted I have done the Vera plugin... to integrate the limited Zigbee from Vera... I'm also working on integrating Hubitat... again to integrate the Zigbee capabilities and perhaps some other devices that Hubitat does well. But not for every possible component or app available to either system. The magnitude of a plugin that would be able to bring in and support the thousands of components available in HA that grows on a daily basis would be a monumental feat. Not impossible, but maintaining/supporting that would be a full time job.

Comment

I am aware there are many HA users and they seem happy in that environment. Seems like Zwave is problematic in HA and some want to take advantage of HS only for the Zwave plugin.

A typical user only has enough energy to learn one language so spending time to be conversent in both and keeping up with both as they evolve would likely result in a small population. Further limit this set by developers interested in both.

Rather than developing yet another API for HA/HS integration it seems likely that use of existing integration protocol using MQTT or COAP and possibly Node Red would be an approach that would have the greatest chance of long term success. This overcomes the development aspect, but still needs knowledge of both HA and HS.

Also as stated by Simplex Technology, if there is some popular interface in HA there would be sufficient interest in HS community that a plugin would be developed as the learning curve for the developer and user would be limited to the specific capability of interest.

Isn’t this proposal similar to Jeedam to bring the capabilities of another environment into HS? I really do not see much activity that is taking advantage of Jeedam and I suspect the same would occur with HA/HS for the same reason of too much time investment to learn a second environment.

Comment

I understand the problem.

And this is what i do , communication via http or mqtt( nodered). Seems like i'll continue .

Thanks guys

Comment

Concerning Jeedom, I think Jeedom have been able to make the commands really generic accross all the plugins .So it was easier for the jeedom hs3 plugin writer.

-----

What I would really like then... talking about new plugin , is this openhab echo control binding :

https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-...zonechocontrol

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
                I'm still trying to understand the benefit here.
                Having a really nice and easily configurable web interface (from HA) with the easy to use HS event engine ?

Comment

I think, that type or request yould be better adapted to BIG5 plugin when websocket will be incorporated .risquare

Comment

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post

Having a really nice and easily configurable web interface (from HA) with the easy to use HS event engine ?
                    This would me that you would need HS3 integrated with HA... HA would be the primary not HS3 and with that you would't get the HA web interface benefit as HS3 would have the devices not HA....

I think Michael is correct the easiest/cleanest approach would be MQTT and present the HS3 z-wave devices to HA. Only then do you get the HA web interface for viewing but you don't get the hS3 event engine for HA devices.

Comment

MattL0 you've got me curious and I'm going to play a game here.... we all have HS3 (probably right?) and I run HA as well and I think you do... so.....

What can HS3 do that Home Assistant can't?

Reversal... What can Home Assistant do that HS3 can't?

Comment

I can't answer that. I do not know HA enough. I just get value/string from HA or Openhab via nodered/mqtt.

But my guess is just that HA or OH have more plugins and active plugin author.

From HA: I recently replaced the mpc-hc component( Mpc-be in my case) with nodered ( see picture). I also replaced the roku component with direct http post call from hs3 to the (really simple) roku api.

----

I feel that Hs3 is less prone to bugs...and you spend less time to maintain the system... since there are no breaking change every 2 weeks.

OH is doing massive changes right now ( just go see their forum).

I'll never go entirely on HA or OH because of this.

The only thing that interest me on OH is the very nice EchoControl binding. And also the Plex binding ( prefer this vs the blade plugin).

Will maybe change plex server to an emby one, one day. Both oh and ha seems to have something for that, nothing here on hs3.

This is the NR flow for mpchc.it converts a xml into a json. And poll mpc-bc every second.
                        Code:
                        [
                            {
                                "id": "6a712a92.e91d94",
                                "type": "tab",
                                "label": "MPC Salon",
                                "disabled": false,
                                "info": ""
                            },
                            {
                                "id": "f5bab1f0.383e8",
                                "type": "http request",
                                "z": "6a712a92.e91d94",
                                "name": "Get Monit Status",
                                "method": "GET",
                                "ret": "txt",
                                "paytoqs": false,
                                "url": "http://192.168.x.xxx:PORT/variables.html",
                                "tls": "",
                                "proxy": "",
                                "x": 327.00000762939453,
                                "y": 169.000009059906,
                                "wires": [
                                    [
                                        "a9b748de.f743c8"
                                    ]
                                ]
                            },
                            {
                                "id": "335de7de.1ff4d8",
                                "type": "inject",
                                "name": "",
                                "topic": "",
                                "payload": "",
                                "payloadType": "date",
                                "repeat": "1.5",
                                "crontab": "",
                                "once": false,
                                "onceDelay": "",
                                "x": 153,
                                "y": 283.00000381469727,
                                    [
                                        "f5bab1f0.383e8"
                                    ]
                                ]
                            },
                            {
                                "id": "a9b748de.f743c8",
                                "type": "function",
                                "name": "xmlToJsonStr",
                                "func": "/*\nTo use this node install xml2json.\nsudo npm install xml2json\nDo not install it globally\nEdit settings.js to 'require' the module\n*/\n// get an instance of the module\nvar parser = context.global.get('xml2json');\n// set the options\nvar options = {\n    object: true, //returns a JSON object\n    reversible: false,\n    coerce: false,\n    sanitize: true,\n    trim: true,\n    arrayNotation: false,\n    alternateTextNode: false\n};\n\n//var xml = msg.payload;\n\n// xml to json \nvar json = parser.toJson(msg.payload, options);\n\nmsg.payload = json;\n\nreturn msg;",
                                "outputs": 1,
                                "noerr": 0,
                                "x": 580.0000190734863,
                                "y": 167.00000381469727,
                                    [
                                        "7a933e33.49a8b"
                                    ]
                                ]
                            },
                            {
                                "id": "d1950897.2e4088",
                                "type": "comment",
                                "name": "To use this flow you first need to install xml2json",
                                "info": "",
                                "x": 438.5,
                                "y": 103.0000057220459,
                                "wires": []
                            },
                            {
                                "id": "7a933e33.49a8b",
                                "type": "function",
                                "name": "Status string of mpchc",
                                "func": "var newMsg = { payload: msg.payload.html.body.p[5].$t };\nreturn newMsg;\n",
                                "outputs": 1,
                                "noerr": 0,
                                "x": 616.0000190734863,
                                "y": 274.0000057220459,
                                    [
                                        "fdb5ff43.57f78"
                                    ]
                                ]
                            },
                            {
                                "id": "fdb5ff43.57f78",
                                "type": "mqtt out",
                                "topic": "MPC/Status/Salon",
                                "qos": "0",
                                "retain": "",
                                "broker": "dd43d627.a59158",
                                "x": 760.1000366210938,
                                "y": 420,
                                "wires": []
                            },
                            {
                                "id": "dd43d627.a59158",
                                "type": "mqtt-broker",
                                "z": "",
                                "broker": "127.0.0.1",
                                "port": "xxx",
                                "clientid": "",
                                "usetls": false,
                                "compatmode": true,
                                "keepalive": "60",
                                "cleansession": true,
                                "birthTopic": "",
                                "birthQos": "0",
                                "birthPayload": "",
                                "closeTopic": "",
                                "closePayload": "",
                                "willTopic": "",
                                "willQos": "0",
                                "willPayload": ""
                            }
                        ]
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
                          I can't answer that. I do not know HA enough. I just get value/string from ha or openhab via nodered/mqtt.

But my guess is just that HA or OH have more plugins and active plugin author.

----

I feel that Hs3 is less prone to bugs...and you spend less time to maintain the system... since there are no breaking change every 2 weeks.)

OH is doing massive change right now ( just go see their forum).

I'll never go entirely on HA or OH because of this.
                          But What? value string are you pulling/pushing? Why? That's what I'm getting at. What purpose does the other system provide to you that either HS3 or HA can't just do by itself? What is the "Need" for integration?

Now I fully understand the stability part of HA and OH which is why I don't run them as my primary system as well. But I don't really do much with them or integrate them because I have no "need" to do that. They are interesting to play with though.

Comment

This request was more for a plugin to replace the nodered/mqtt path. Not full edge integration to HA.

Something like this https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket

But like you said, the need/demand wont be high enough for a dedicated hs3 plugin i guess.

When big5 will get WS feature, I think it'll gonna be a good candidate for that.

Comment

It comes down to a particular component or item that you want a plugin for then?

Comment

Working...
                              X