Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can buttons be displayed in a "structured" way?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Tell me how you would the button positions to be specified. We have the new status page that pops up a dialog when click on a device and presents a UI. Right now we do not have a way to specify the layout of that ui, only the controls that will be used. It would be ideal to allow you to specify how each button is displayed, maybe just a row/col is all you need?

    Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
    As the Flemish will say "Miljaar!!!" and everybody loves the Flemish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iXvh...e=results_main).

    This is quite important to me, for example my DLNA PI supports "remote control" functions for specific TVs. The PI will create a ton of buttons that the end-user can configure whether to show not show, which line which order and has a bunch of logic to put the buttons in the order as specified by the end-user.

    Cheers,

    Dirk
    website | buy now | support | youtube

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by rjh View Post
      Tell me how you would the button positions to be specified. We have the new status page that pops up a dialog when click on a device and presents a UI. Right now we do not have a way to specify the layout of that ui, only the controls that will be used. It would be ideal to allow you to specify how each button is displayed, maybe just a row/col is all you need?
      Adding an option to the status pairs indicating a column and row would be great. It would put the responsibility in the PIs designer's camp to make sure it is layed out properly but will add some complexity on your side to build the UI layout as you will have to enumerate through all pairs to find out what goes where when you are building the UI.

      A compromise would be the use of the buttonsstring for the layout (or some other string that is easily parse-able) that would drive layout and keep pairs as-is as they would define attributes.

      Dirk

      Comment


      • #18
        So one issue is that with a lot of buttons, the control column gets too wide and all of the devices on the page display strangely. The fix for that is as Rich suggested of having the control options appear in a pop-up, but I think it gets cumbersome having to click something to make the popup display and then choose your control.... Perhaps the device designer (you) specify whether to use a popup or not, so if you only have a couple of buttons they display without the popup?

        The other problem is that we cannot control the other UIs and how they render the controls - using CAPI, we would extend the row/column information, but it would be up to the creators of alternate UIs to use them properly.

        Good discussion... any other opinions?
        Regards,

        Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
          So one issue is that with a lot of buttons, the control column gets too wide and all of the devices on the page display strangely. The fix for that is as Rich suggested of having the control options appear in a pop-up, but I think it gets cumbersome having to click something to make the popup display and then choose your control.... Perhaps the device designer (you) specify whether to use a popup or not, so if you only have a couple of buttons they display without the popup?

          The other problem is that we cannot control the other UIs and how they render the controls - using CAPI, we would extend the row/column information, but it would be up to the creators of alternate UIs to use them properly.

          Good discussion... any other opinions?
          Back in town ....

          I personally don't like the pop-up, I think it is too cumbersome but I'm sure there are application it might actually be welcome.

          I have no idea how the screen is built but I suspect some query on some database with the reference of the device, turns up a list of controls to be displayed and then HS3 puts them into the gui in the order of the query.

          If the function hs.DeviceVSP_AddPair was to return a unique ID, the PI designer could use those to instruct HS3 how to build the GUI as it was done with the buttonstring in HS2, perhaps a string which shows the pair reference IDs with chr(4) indicating new rows.

          Alternatively, if you were to add a row and column attribute to each pair (add to VSPair), HS3 would have to sort them by row+column first and then render the GUI.

          To give you a feel, see the attached image of how remote buttons are somewhat "logically" grouped (is user definable where and what). It was done in HS2 button items in the right sequence and using chr(4) characters in the buttonstring

          Dirk
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
            So one issue is that with a lot of buttons, the control column gets too wide and all of the devices on the page display strangely. The fix for that is as Rich suggested of having the control options appear in a pop-up, but I think it gets cumbersome having to click something to make the popup display and then choose your control.... Perhaps the device designer (you) specify whether to use a popup or not, so if you only have a couple of buttons they display without the popup?

            The other problem is that we cannot control the other UIs and how they render the controls - using CAPI, we would extend the row/column information, but it would be up to the creators of alternate UIs to use them properly.

            Good discussion... any other opinions?
            I noted that VSPair now has properties ButtonRender_Row and ButtonRender_Column. When I assign values to them, nothing seems to change in the DeviceUtility page. All buttons still show up at random and in one Row (same line). I'm using version .11 was this implemented? If it was implemented, does it start with 0 or from 1? An example perhaps?

            Thanks

            Dirk

            Comment


            • #21
              This should be working ok in the latest, and I have modified the sample plugin to test it and so you can see how it works. I will get a new installer posted later today.

              Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
              I noted that VSPair now has properties ButtonRender_Row and ButtonRender_Column. When I assign values to them, nothing seems to change in the DeviceUtility page. All buttons still show up at random and in one Row (same line). I'm using version .11 was this implemented? If it was implemented, does it start with 0 or from 1? An example perhaps?

              Thanks

              Dirk
              website | buy now | support | youtube

              Comment

              Working...
              X