hs3 licensing model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hs3 licensing model

can you tell us able the new license server?

will it allow an annual subscription for plugins?

will it allow for adhoc upgrade fees?

For example, if i release version 3.0 this year, and then release ver 3.5 a year later, can i charge a fee for upgrading to v3.5?
    Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
    Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Along those same lines, if we build a multi-instance plugin, does the licensing include all instances or are the instances licensed separately?
    HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
    68 Z-Wave Nodes, 174 Events, 326 Devices
    UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
    Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Rich,
      any comments
      Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting

Comment

Right now, the answer is no to all of those questions. Currently, the licensing is the same as it was in HS2. But you are not the first to ask about this so I will discuss internally and see what options we can offer.
        website | buy now | support | youtube

Comment

Thanks Rich

I really need something with more granularity.

The amount of time I spend adding device support to my insteon plugin warrants a periodic maintenance fee. It may not be popular with the users but I think they'll understand in the end.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

i abhor maintenance fees on software, you buy a product. when you update to a newer version which costs a lot of time to invest you ask a upgrade fee. i know i have to pay for hs3 although i have hs2. but it is a major upgrade. There are plugin builders who donate the profit to a charity.

Comment

I personally wouldn't mind seeing an annual maintenance fee (% of purchase price) added to HS if it covered major upgrades and break/fix support. I already pay for tech support just in case it's needed.
              HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
              Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
              Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
              Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I would agree with this methodology of licensing.

I would ask though for compliance (this actually involves resources) of said maintenance fee though otherwise its not worth the time or effort to even consider it.

Just a tangent and unrelated to the OP. A few years ago (2008) I implemented a Business Objects set up with multiple servers, multiple licensing and a service contract. This was a multmillon dollar service contract and purchase.

That said BO had just been purchased by SAS. I watched painstakingly my service contract become nil because of some overseeing of same contracts from SAS.

I got a bit PO'd with SAS as they remodeled and reshaped their service maintainance contracts with BO because I was getting less for more.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
                HS4 Pro - V4.0.9.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
                HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  I would agree with this methodology of licensing.

I would ask though for compliance (this actually involves resources) of said maintenance fee though otherwise its not worth the time or effort to even consider it.

Just a tangent and unrelated to the OP. A few years ago (2008) I implemented a Business Objects set up with multiple servers, multiple licensing and a service contract. This was a multmillon dollar service contract and purchase.

That said BO had just been purchased by SAS. I watched painstakingly my service contract become nil because of some overseeing of same contracts from SAS.

I got a bit PO'd with SAS as they remodeled and reshaped their service maintainance contracts with BO because I was getting less for more.
                  Wow - I thought I was alone in my dealings with Business Objects/SAP Their licensing and support site are a complete nightmare. I have been fighting with them for months over a support contract they refuse to honor.

As for the HS model, I'm not entirely opposed to a yearly software maintenance fee - depending on how its implemented.
                  HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
                  68 Z-Wave Nodes, 174 Events, 326 Devices
                  UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
                  Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
                  HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

I personally dislike paying maint fees on software. However that being said, I don't mind paying occasional upgrade fees as well to help support authors. $35 plugin with $5 - 10 upgrade fees isn't too bad. Another option is a premium version where instead of $35 and incremental upgrades, I pay $60 and get free upgrades as well.

-Mike

Comment

If anything comes along similar to the way Office 365 and such are going, meaning that my software will time out out after said period purchased, then I will quit HS altogether! Upgrade fees, and such are ok, but whatever I have NOW that is licensed, needs to WORK in perpetuity until I am long gone...

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                        Right now, the answer is no to all of those questions. Currently, the licensing is the same as it was in HS2. But you are not the first to ask about this so I will discuss internally and see what options we can offer.
                        Rich,
                        any updates on options for licensing
                        Last edited by mnsandler; March 8th, 2013, 10:23 PM.
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

We are adding more options, like upgrade fees. I will post more info shortly.
                          website | buy now | support | youtube

Comment

Is there any more information on this and what models will be supported?
                            - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                            Web Site
                            YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                              We are adding more options, like upgrade fees. I will post more info shortly.

Rich, any updates?

I'm wrestling my way through the final changes to have my Sonos PI work under HS3 (sans the HST implementation :-() and might actually do a first beta in a week or two.

Do I need to use the same .lf file you guys made for me for HS2 or do I need to have a new one generated for HS3? If, what is the process?

Assuming beta on HS3 and my PI will take months, does that mean that users will have to get a new licenses from HS for my PI every 30 days or is any new beta delivery somehow magically reset the trial license for a PI?

The installer is new (to me), do we have an example file somewhere that we can tee of from?

Thanks

Dirk

Comment

Working...
                              X