HS3 v .11 is crashing on me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS3 v .11 is crashing on me

I rewrote my Sonos plugin, and have now 20-ish HS devices per player. I have 7 players so 140-ish devices in the DeviceUtility page.

First of all, I can hear my CPU fan going up which means my CPU is working harder. This will last as long as the browser remains open, even if I quit HS3. I pretty sure that the dynamic updating of the Status field has something to do with it. I suspect the browser is trying to refresh constantly 140-ish devices.

After a few seconds, less than a minute, HS3 crashes. I captured a picture of the screen, hope this is readable

Dirk
    Attached Files

Can you email me your HomeSeer.hsd database file so I can try it.
    -Rich

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
    I rewrote my Sonos plugin, and have now 20-ish HS devices per player. I have 7 players so 140-ish devices in the DeviceUtility page.

First of all, I can hear my CPU fan going up which means my CPU is working harder. This will last as long as the browser remains open, even if I quit HS3. I pretty sure that the dynamic updating of the Status field has something to do with it. I suspect the browser is trying to refresh constantly 140-ish devices.

After a few seconds, less than a minute, HS3 crashes. I captured a picture of the screen, hope this is readable

Dirk
    website | buy now | support | youtube

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
      Can you email me your HomeSeer.hsd database file so I can try it.
      -Rich
      I can email you the db file but I think the error is actually caused by the (rapid) creation of devices. I gained some more insight and actually it happened 3~4 times, each time right after I had started from zero, meaning, I had deleted all the devices my PI had created and restarted the PI, which at startup creates about a 140 devices. It would crash somewhere at start-up. When I restarted HS, it would finish creating the missing devices and then all would work fine. So if I send you the DB, it would run fine.

The CPU utilization going up I think is an issue, but only when you have a lot of devices. Initially there were actually 2 problems. One was that HS3 would crash when it was creating all these devices but at the same time, my PI had a bug where it would create all the devices over and over when restarted. So when the CPU utilization went up, I must have had a couple of hundred devices.

So my recommendation is, create a test PI (enhance the sample PI), create a loop and let it create a hundred devices to see if you can simulate the crash. If that doesn't do it, try to set the devicevalue or devicestring of one of those new devices, immediately after you created them. For the CPU test, create a 1000 devices and see what happens.

By the way, I was typically looking at the deviceUtility page when the restart happened, which is dynamically updating itself when all these devices are being created, perhaps part of the problem.

Cheers,

Dirk

Comment

Can you send me your device creation code? I took the sample plugin and modified it so it created 200 devices on startup and I could not make it crash. So I'd like to see what you are doing.

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
        I can email you the db file but I think the error is actually caused by the (rapid) creation of devices. I gained some more insight and actually it happened 3~4 times, each time right after I had started from zero, meaning, I had deleted all the devices my PI had created and restarted the PI, which at startup creates about a 140 devices. It would crash somewhere at start-up. When I restarted HS, it would finish creating the missing devices and then all would work fine. So if I send you the DB, it would run fine.

The CPU utilization going up I think is an issue, but only when you have a lot of devices. Initially there were actually 2 problems. One was that HS3 would crash when it was creating all these devices but at the same time, my PI had a bug where it would create all the devices over and over when restarted. So when the CPU utilization went up, I must have had a couple of hundred devices.

So my recommendation is, create a test PI (enhance the sample PI), create a loop and let it create a hundred devices to see if you can simulate the crash. If that doesn't do it, try to set the devicevalue or devicestring of one of those new devices, immediately after you created them. For the CPU test, create a 1000 devices and see what happens.

By the way, I was typically looking at the deviceUtility page when the restart happened, which is dynamically updating itself when all these devices are being created, perhaps part of the problem.

Cheers,

Dirk
        website | buy now | support | youtube

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
          Can you send me your device creation code? I took the sample plugin and modified it so it created 200 devices on startup and I could not make it crash. So I'd like to see what you are doing.
          Emailed code to you. Let me know if you would also like to have the DB.
          Dirk

Comment

i'm experiencing the same thing and only creating about 30 devices. the cpu is spiking during the device creation code and the ui freshes a lot
            Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
            Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

Working...
            X