Sorting Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorting Devices

In HS2 all devices were defaulted to sort by device code in the status screen, which seemed logical and by creating the devices in a certain order made them display in the same order by default. What I have noticed in HS3 is that sorting by address is not the default. I can click the address link at top and force the sort but this seems unneeded and it would be better to auto-sort on address which gives the developer more control of the order the devices appear.

Just my thoughts.
    -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
    VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
    Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Originally posted by lpitman View Post
    In HS2 all devices were defaulted to sort by device code in the status screen, which seemed logical and by creating the devices in a certain order made them display in the same order by default. What I have noticed in HS3 is that sorting by address is not the default. I can click the address link at top and force the sort but this seems unneeded and it would be better to auto-sort on address which gives the developer more control of the order the devices appear.
    No opinion but want to point out not all developers will use the address field, I for one won't.

I do acknowledge that the status page now has the devices (I suspect by devref) in almost random order, and now with media devices having 20 some devices per player, things really look chaotic at this point. Hadn't given that part any thoughts yet as I was struggling with other aspects ....

Dirk

Comment

I was initially not using the Address field... but then all devices were not sorted the way I wanted to nor found a way to organize them how I wanted to; it was hard to find devices especially when you create many with parent/child relationships. As a result I started to use the Address field so that I can sort them the way I want especially when I have a root device with child devices. The only drawback at this point is that HS3 does not remember the last sort key when you return to the status page. See http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=157677 for related post I created at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by pcp View Post
        I was initially not using the Address field... but then all devices were not sorted the way I wanted to nor found a way to organize them how I wanted to; it was hard to find devices especially when you create many with parent/child relationships. As a result I started to use the Address field so that I can sort them the way I want especially when I have a root device with child devices.
        Interesting idea!

Dirk

Comment

I had to come up with my own address scheme with kind of major / minor version numbers to get them sorted correctly (major incremented for every root device and minor incremented for every child device of the root in my plug-in defined order). Let me know if you need to more details.

Agreed that otherwise devices is all over the place and hard to use & follow.

Comment

Working...
          X