No announcement yet.

Velleman K8055 Plugin V1.0.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never did anything with the panels - I tend to try and use HA to link things together, rather than have it all integrated - had a "reasonable" quote from my alarm chaps for a replacement panel with some more zones and a couple of relays for me to hang inputs from.

Thinking I might do something with one of the panels you were talking about next year, and have 2 systems running - one "all mine and automated" and the other one that is just there and the wife can't moan about it - then gradually switching over to depending more on the automated system.

The most pressing thing for me is decent motion sensors so I can do some sensible occupancy stuff - the x10 RF units are just not reliable enough to give what I need on their own - I want some hard wired units around - so I may start on that approach using a smart panel.

Anyway - apart from 6 months worth of travel expenses that need to be completed, all I have got to do next week is sort out this plugin.

Malarcy

Comment

Malarcy...

Its OT but worth mentioning... any decent panel, like the Premier range support output expanders so you can just use your home PIR's easily and with no risk of compromising the integrity of the alarm unit. I agree with your ideals of using HA to integrate - I still think its worth having something as important as an alarm as a BS class device that works 100%... horses for courses etc...

Checkout the Op16 expander (16 outputs) for the Premier, and the 8XP (8 zones plus 8 outputs). All outputs are fully programmable, so can be configured to mimic any zone you choose... hence my need to multiple 8055's!!

The inputs to the panel can be used to trigger other stuff too, such as a cheapo Comm2400 module - simple modem and supports SMS messaging... nice to get texts rather than a recorded message if something at home needs your attention.

I would seriously look at doing the panel swap yourself... its only the additional PIRs you need to cover the whole house that will be the pain..I would guess. That is my job this xmas... setup an additional 9 PIR's.... so I have one in nearly every room... 17 in total!

The premier range supports a "network" such that you only need 4 cores between expanders. All PIR wiring runs to the expander and not back to the central panel... much easier...

Anyway - rant over... I guess its time that is your enemy, not enthusiasm!

Drop me an email if you want to have a chat sometime... even if its just to spec up what you want an installer to do for you...

DJ
      ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

Cheers - I might well take you up on the spec stuff - I think I am paying over the odds for the replacement panel but it's not "too" much - and it keeps the wife happy.

But going forward I think I want a PIR in every room and a reed switch on every door and window - that's going to be something I wire up - not paying an installer for alll that.

Check your email - I have an idea on a temporary solution to multiple board solution while I get the plugin the way I want it - might work for you.

Malarcy

Comment

I'm thinking of buying such a Velleman kit, but will there still come a new version of this plugin, or is it working perfectly? Are there better devices than this one with a couple of outputs, that are not too expensive and work better with homeseer?

Comment

The plugin as is works with a single board - I am battling some issues around the speed at which I can switch between multiple boards and not kill the system.

It was written for version 1 of homeseer - it works on 2 but some of the config dialog boxes are hidden - I am hopefully getting a newer version that works better with hs2 out in the next few weeks, once I have done some stuff on the multiboard stuff.

WIll it work for you?-don't know - but the hardware is cheap and the other couple of people using it on the board have it working in a single board config.

Malarcy

Comment

Comment

Same here, works like a charm, very easy to use. Plugin is very easy to use and reliable.
                And for nitwits like me, you can also get a version of this board that is already fully preassembled. Just plug it in to USB install the plugin and it works....inputs and outputs for homeseer !

Evja

Comment

Any updates

I am another user of this plugin and am just enquirying on the progress of the multi card version, thanks niko.

Comment

Waiting in anticipation

I'm all ready to buy a K8055 board, once this plug-in is updated for HS2...

Comment

Guys,

Don't hold your breath on this - the plugin as is works under hs2 - it's not perfect but it does work - I have done a fair bit of work on a multicard version - but it's still an hs 1 style plugin since I personally have no requirement for a .net version and the real world has got in the way too many times,

I have some multicard versions but I have a problem,

1) If I use the original method for switching a card it's slow - and since I have to poll the card for input state it can take a couple of seconds to notice a contact closure - not ideal in some installations

2) If I use the quick card swicting method then it misses the switch command if you switch too quickly - maybe I can code around it but I am not sure if I can make it stable

I have a call into velleman to see if I can get a fast stale swicth - if I do then I will procede, if not then I am fighting a losing battle.

Happy to share the source of what I have if someone wants to take a crack at it i the mean time - but I am not comfortable with putting together a solution that I know I can break.

I'll chase Velleman and see if there is any progress.

Malarcy

Comment

If you are willing to share the source code, you might contact HomeSeer and ask about their Open Source repository.

Comment

Originally posted by UniKyrn View Post
                          If you are willing to share the source code, you might contact HomeSeer and ask about their Open Source repository.
                          Good idea - I don't want to drop this but if others can spend some time and shape it work for them then that's great - depends if vellemen will update their dll.

Malarcy

Comment

Outputs from 8055 board

Hi, this may be wrong thread for this, but it does relate to the Velleman board.

Can anybody tell me if they are using the 8055 board to power LEDs to show device states?. If so, what voltage power supplies / LEDs / resistors are you using?.

Surely if I use a 4.5volt power supply, and a 5 volt LED then the voltages are OK, but the current is too high and blows the LED. If you then try and fit a resistor to lower the current, then the voltage will also drop and the LED won't be very bright.

Lee

Comment

Hi

You are correct to use a 5v LED if your supply to the 8055 is 4.5V.

You could obviously use a lower voltage LED and an appropriate resistor.

The voltage presented to the LED will never be 4.5v, as there are losses through the driving transistor, so the LED may only ever see circa 4.2v or there abouts.

As for current - your PSU can have any current rating it likes, as the LED will only ever draw what it needs. The only problem you will see is if the supply voltage is higher, then the LED will certainly draw more current before it self destructs.

If your LED's are blowing, I would question A) they are the right way round (polarity) and B) they are of an operating voltage that is suitable (most common LEDs are not 5v).

Other than that, yes, the 8055 will certainly drive LEDs as shown in the back of the Velleman manual supplied with the 8055.

Hope this helps!

Dj

Comment

The digital outputs are specified as open collector, so I'm guessing one side is ground. You'd probably be close if you just looked at the specs for the LED to find the current it wants, usually about 20ma, and what it's voltage drop is. Then you can use any supply you want and compute the resistor value to get 20ma at whatever the voltage difference is.

V=IR converts to R = V/I

A Red LED that wanted 1.5V@20ma, using a 5V supply ...

3.5V/.020 = 175ohms (180ohms is the nearest standard value)

If you wanted it a little brighter and to account for some loss through the transistor, use a 168ohm resistor.

Comment

Working...
                                X