HomeSeer HS3 Plugin Author Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rich,

thank you for being open about all of this.

As you said, the plugin authors will really be a decider, but as a user, I would like to see HS2 "dropped", as hauling in "baggage" does not sound appealing to me.

I also realize a LOT of my scripts will need to be reworked, etc. The main thing I can maybe suggest is thought put into the upgrade path for users who would need to rework a LOT of scripts? Maybe come up with some kind of include that everyone could share, which could create the compatibility that we would need to quickly get HS3 up and running.

I.e. I've done something similar in my support functions, where I just call a simple command, but a function does the work to translating something complicate. So, someone missing hs.devicestatus could call the included devicestatus function, which would check the device value and return the proper "1" or "2" as needed.

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
      The main thing I can maybe suggest is thought put into the upgrade path for users who would need to rework a LOT of scripts? Maybe come up with some kind of include that everyone could share, which could create the compatibility that we would need to quickly get HS3 up and running.
      --Dan
      This could be a deal breaker for the many who have only a small grasp of scripting and have used VBScript to write their scripts or got assistance on this board with modified code snippets. Even the existing immediate script commands are VBScript which would break with HS3. I would have thought it would be advisable to support VBScript with the Windows version for the time being to allow time for people to convert? Otherwise they would just stick with HS2?
      Jon

Comment

[QUOTE=jon00;1013588...Otherwise they would just stick with HS2?[/QUOTE]

as a user... i can tell you that since 2.5.x.x broke.. (only saying that as 2.3 or 2.4 i was rock solid for months.. then poof).. somewhere that no one can determine... i am for one going to upgrade... was going to drop out of the HA all together but not going to .... so i really dont want ANY old stuff.. for me it is easy as all i have to do is pay for HS3, Plugins, etc... and wait for yall to get it there

i know nothing about scripting, plugin scripts and usually even need help setting up events!!!!!!

so on the serious note.. new people will not know about the 1.7 or 2.. so new 3 is new to them anyway.. and for us.. will be a learning curve...
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I guess the big thing is, are the developers willing to recreate/rework plugins? Although, Jon makes a very valid point, are users willing to rewrite/rework all their scripts? That's why I was trying to grasp at a upgrade path. If it can be thought out ahead of time, we can probably get everyone up to speed. I don't like the idea of bringing along HS 1.7 or HS2.0 stuff...so in an ideal world, if the upgrade path can be seen and authors are willing to change their code to fit the new system, I'd rather not have backwards compatibility.

I could fall into the "upgrade is painful" category. One plugin I started to rely on more and more is Stipus' gamepad plugin. It is a free one from him, so not sure he's going to rework it. If not, I might end up having to bug him to do such a thing...and pay for it if he decides to charge for it.

I try NOT to use plugins, since this is my hobby, I enjoy creating things. but plugins are needed for certain things.

I know I'd LIKE to try to put HS on a Dockstar to see what happens, but realize that there are things I do with code that probably won't work due to the dependance on Windoze.

--Dan
          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I don't know what to expect to be honest, I have put some significant time into a number of plugins that I have mainly written for myself (five plugins out of the fifteen I am using I have never released for a number of reasons), and the other couple I have put on the forum that I may end up either not possesing the technical knowledge to or the time to actually change which leaves me stuck in a bit of a difficult corner and potentially place other people (perhaps not that many actually use the stuff I have wrote, but it is at least a few) in difficult positions aswell which is the last thing I want to do but might have no other choice.

How are the plugins going to be marketed? Will they be expressly sold as Linux Only/Windows Only/Both?

If/How are/what timescale are HS's plugins going to be converted over? I don't expect the Windows Media Player plugin is going to be running under Linux anytime soon but will a HS3 version be out for when HS3 gets released? If I have to wait 12 months for a HS3 WMP plugin then there is little if any point me upgrading, same with some other plugins.

Comment

Currently, VBScript still works in HS3 (Windows only) and I may leave it in for now, maybe only for a while and then remove it later. The scripting API will have changes though so many scripts will still need to be modified. Also, VBScript's won't work at all on Linux so the downside of leaving it there is confusion for the user.

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
              This could be a deal breaker for the many who have only a small grasp of scripting and have used VBScript to write their scripts or got assistance on this board with modified code snippets. Even the existing immediate script commands are VBScript which would break with HS3. I would have thought it would be advisable to support VBScript with the Windows version for the time being to allow time for people to convert? Otherwise they would just stick with HS2?
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

We intend to have most of our plugins converted fairly quickly. But there are some that we no longer support and I doubt they will be converted. I don't have a complete list yet.

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
                I don't know what to expect to be honest, I have put some significant time into a number of plugins that I have mainly written for myself (five plugins out of the fifteen I am using I have never released for a number of reasons), and the other couple I have put on the forum that I may end up either not possesing the technical knowledge to or the time to actually change which leaves me stuck in a bit of a difficult corner and potentially place other people (perhaps not that many actually use the stuff I have wrote, but it is at least a few) in difficult positions aswell which is the last thing I want to do but might have no other choice.

How are the plugins going to be marketed? Will they be expressly sold as Linux Only/Windows Only/Both?

If/How are/what timescale are HS's plugins going to be converted over? I don't expect the Windows Media Player plugin is going to be running under Linux anytime soon but will a HS3 version be out for when HS3 gets released? If I have to wait 12 months for a HS3 WMP plugin then there is little if any point me upgrading, same with some other plugins.

Comment

I have 2 plugins that I've developed but have not released. I have no desire to release them for HS2; I'd rather have them be HS3 only. That way, I wont have to be bothered keeping up with 3 different versions (HS2, HS3/Win, HS3/Linux) - I would only need to maintain for HS3.
                  HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                  54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                  Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Out of 24 plugin authors who responded to the survey so far, 83% said they would update their plugins. That is more than I expected so the response so far is pretty good.

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                    I guess the big thing is, are the developers willing to recreate/rework plugins? Although, Jon makes a very valid point, are users willing to rewrite/rework all their scripts? That's why I was trying to grasp at a upgrade path. If it can be thought out ahead of time, we can probably get everyone up to speed. I don't like the idea of bringing along HS 1.7 or HS2.0 stuff...so in an ideal world, if the upgrade path can be seen and authors are willing to change their code to fit the new system, I'd rather not have backwards compatibility.

I could fall into the "upgrade is painful" category. One plugin I started to rely on more and more is Stipus' gamepad plugin. It is a free one from him, so not sure he's going to rework it. If not, I might end up having to bug him to do such a thing...and pay for it if he decides to charge for it.

I try NOT to use plugins, since this is my hobby, I enjoy creating things. but plugins are needed for certain things.

I know I'd LIKE to try to put HS on a Dockstar to see what happens, but realize that there are things I do with code that probably won't work due to the dependance on Windoze.

--Dan

Comment

Well, I think I've mentioned before that I won't be going to HS3 quickly. I'll probably miss the upgrade "deal" as that was just too painful on HS2, unless there are early indications that HS3 is much more complete / stable when it comes out. I predict HS3 will be out for a year or more before I even consider taking the plunge.

I think what that means is I won't have any way to test my stuff under HS3, so I think that means I may be out of the business of supporting scripts and stuff I've posted. I'm in a much more junior league from Jon00 in that regard, so it probably won't matter much to folks. However, I think that means that Snevl CID, Snevl Weather Warnings, Snevl Latitude, CNN Breaking News, and Snevl BB will probably reach end-of-life, although a few of those are available in unencrypted source code so someone who DOES have HS3 could take them over.

Probably not a big deal, and it may be the end of the road for me in this hobby anyway, for other reasons.

Steve

Comment

Unless I am mistaken, Mono only supports 100% VB.NET managed code.

There could still be lots of other modifications even with VB.NET plugins/scripts i.e.

Dim Name As String="Robert"
                        Dim X As Integer = Name.Length

Should work on both Windows/Mono but

Dim X As Integer = Len(Name)

Would fail under Mono but would work happily on Windows.
                        Jon

Comment

Can you please take the survey and list those plugins, just so we know, thanks.

Originally posted by stevea View Post
                          Well, I think I've mentioned before that I won't be going to HS3 quickly. I'll probably miss the upgrade "deal" as that was just too painful on HS2, unless there are early indications that HS3 is much more complete / stable when it comes out. I predict HS3 will be out for a year or more before I even consider taking the plunge.

I think what that means is I won't have any way to test my stuff under HS3, so I think that means I may be out of the business of supporting scripts and stuff I've posted. I'm in a much more junior league from Jon00 in that regard, so it probably won't matter much to folks. However, I think that means that Snevl CID, Snevl Weather Warnings, Snevl Latitude, CNN Breaking News, and Snevl BB will probably reach end-of-life, although a few of those are available in unencrypted source code so someone who DOES have HS3 could take them over.

Probably not a big deal, and it may be the end of the road for me in this hobby anyway, for other reasons.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post

Steve
                            There are many scripts that I have written that will become EOL with HS3. They will just be too difficult to modify.
                            Jon

Comment

Actually, what you wrote will work as MONO includes the VisualBasic.Compatibility DLL. This usually has to be added seperately, but its there.

Anything that uses access to Windows DLL's won't work for sure.

You can check your plugin now, just load into the MOMA application and it will tell you which functions are not supported. Getting MOMA to clear your plugin is a good first step to getting Linux compatible. MOMA is here:

http://www.mono-project.com/MoMA

(It runs under Windows so Linux is not needed)

I can tell you that I got the HSTouch Server plugin working under Linux with very little changes.

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                              Unless I am mistaken, Mono only supports 100% VB.NET managed code.

There could still be lots of other modifications even with VB.NET plugins/scripts i.e.

Dim X As Integer = Name.Length

Should work on both Windows/Mono but

Dim X As Integer = Len(Name)

Would fail under Mono but would work happily on Windows.

Comment

Here you go Rich:

Fail: void Form1_Load (Object, EventArgs) int Strings.Len (string)
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X