HomeSeer HS3 Plugin Author Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjh View Post
    Actually, what you wrote will work as MONO includes the VisualBasic.Compatibility DLL. This usually has to be added seperately, but its there.

Anything that uses access to Windows DLL's won't work for sure.

You can check your plugin now, just load into the MOMA application and it will tell you which functions are not supported. Getting MOMA to clear your plugin is a good first step to getting Linux compatible. MOMA is here:

http://www.mono-project.com/MoMA

(It runs under Windows so Linux is not needed)

I can tell you that I got the HSTouch Server plugin working under Linux with very little changes.
    I've tried but I can't even interpret the results, I've put one of my plugins through it and it comes back with 2124 missing methods from Mono. I can only guess that this number is not particularly good news. Stuff like "Object NewLateBinding.LateGet (Object, Type, string, Object[], String[], Type[], Boolean[])" I don't even know what it means so I expect some heavy nights with Google and MSDN to solve them.

I take it this number is required to be at or close to zero for the plugin to run on HS3 under Linux?

Comment

What is this?

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
      Here you go Rich:

Fail: void Form1_Load (Object, EventArgs) int Strings.Len (string)
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

You can ignore the late binding errors as they should not be a problem. I will probably have to start another thread on porting to MONO so we can discuss porting issues. What you can do is create an EXE that references your DLL and then call some of your functions as a test.

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
        I've tried but I can't even interpret the results, I've put one of my plugins through it and it comes back with 2124 missing methods from Mono. I can only guess that this number is not particularly good news. Stuff like "Object NewLateBinding.LateGet (Object, Type, string, Object[], String[], Type[], Boolean[])" I don't even know what it means so I expect some heavy nights with Google and MSDN to solve them.

I take it this number is required to be at or close to zero for the plugin to run on HS3 under Linux?

Comment

This could be a deal breaker for the many who have only a small grasp of scripting and have used VBScript to write their scripts or got assistance on this board with modified code snippets. Even the existing immediate script commands are VBScript which would break with HS3. I would have thought it would be advisable to support VBScript with the Windows version for the time being to allow time for people to convert? Otherwise they would just stick with HS2?
          People like me!

I have lots of Custom VBScript that I use as I have just got the hang of it from looking around this board and using good old google.

I dont think I have the time or Knowledge to change all my scripts.

I sure hope there is an easy way to convert them or I think I will just have to stay with HS2 for now.

I also use some of Jon's scripts so hope that he can convert his very good work to.

Greig.
          Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
          X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
          Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
          Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
          Scripts =
          Various

Comment

What exactly will HS3 do that HS2 won't? What are the advantages? I don't want to be in the dark ages, but moving to HS3 is not going to be insignificant.

Sorry if this is in an inappropriate question for this topic.....
            Don

Comment

Here you go Rich:

Fail: void Form1_Load (Object, EventArgs) int Strings.Len (string)
              This is not a windows function - Form_Load does not return a string.

Windows forms work under Mono, no problem.
              Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
                What exactly will HS3 do that HS2 won't? What are the advantages? I don't want to be in the dark ages, but moving to HS3 is not going to be insignificant.

Sorry if this is in an inappropriate question for this topic.....
                We aren't going to let all of the cats out of the bag right now, but specific to this discussion and the survey, the entirely new UI for events offers a lot of HomeSeer goodness in itself. The old conditions code for developers is gone, triggers are it (single API) and there is a flag to indicate condition mode. So, your plug-in can draw a UI for a trigger, but if the condition mode is active, then it is a condition. IF (trigger) AND IF (condition) is how it looks in the UI now. Multiple trigger/condition groups are done by OR IF (trigger). Actions can be drag and drop re-ordered now too. Event groups can now also have global conditions and global actions, so you can set up conditions or actions that multiple events use simply by (for example) adding the condition "The Global Conditions Are All True" (or All False) or by adding the action "Run The Global Actions". One of the best things as well is that the screen rarely redraws itself - most of the elements on the screen update as you make changes, so there is no Save button needed (with a few small exceptions).

Hopefully this taste will satisfy you for a little longer. ;-)
                Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

We intend to have most of our plugins converted fairly quickly. But there are some that we no longer support and I doubt they will be converted. I don't have a complete list yet.
                  1) When will you post the "unsupported" list, and
                  2) Will you release source code for unsupported plug-ins so that existing end users can update the plug-ins for HS3 if they have the skills?

Thanks,
                  Don

Comment

Yeah, that will do it.

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
                    We aren't going to let all of the cats out of the bag right now, but specific to this discussion and the survey, the entirely new UI for events offers a lot of HomeSeer goodness in itself. The old conditions code for developers is gone, triggers are it (single API) and there is a flag to indicate condition mode. So, your plug-in can draw a UI for a trigger, but if the condition mode is active, then it is a condition. IF (trigger) AND IF (condition) is how it looks in the UI now. Multiple trigger/condition groups are done by OR IF (trigger). Actions can be drag and drop re-ordered now too. Event groups can now also have global conditions and global actions, so you can set up conditions or actions that multiple events use simply by (for example) adding the condition "The Global Conditions Are All True" (or All False) or by adding the action "Run The Global Actions". One of the best things as well is that the screen rarely redraws itself - most of the elements on the screen update as you make changes, so there is no Save button needed (with a few small exceptions).

Hopefully this taste will satisfy you for a little longer. ;-)
                    Don

Comment

Any plugin that we are not going to update will have the source available, as we do now. If the hardware is no longer manufactured, there is a good chance we won't be updating the plugin for it.

Originally posted by dschoppe View Post
                      1) When will you post the "unsupported" list, and
                      2) Will you release source code for unsupported plug-ins so that existing end users can update the plug-ins for HS3 if they have the skills?

Thanks,
                      Don

Comment

Out of 24 plugin authors who responded to the survey so far, 83% said they would update their plugins. That is more than I expected so the response so far is pretty good.
                        ... which authors are these? I'd like to know who I have to hazzle to maintain the same functionality in HS3 as in HS2.
                        HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                        Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                        on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                        WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

ha Moskus!

Do we know yet what flavor/version of Linux is being targeted? I'd like to start building a Linux rig now
                          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Should work on any, but I am testing with the latest Ubuntu. You need to make sure you install all of MONO, including the VisualBasic.Compatibility dll.

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                            ha Moskus!

Do we know yet what flavor/version of Linux is being targeted? I'd like to start building a Linux rig now

Comment

I suspect that Slink-e will no longer be supported ... that's a shame, I still use it to control Sony CD Changers

Comment

All sounds good to me ! Progress and moving into the future.
                                -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
                                VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
                                Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

Working...
                                X