No announcement yet.

HomeSeer HS3 Plugin Author Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta be some tools somewhere that help in migrating VB scripts to .NET.

I guess one such tool is the .net compiler and Visual Studio. They're both pretty good about telling you what's wrong - but not how to fix it.

Regards
    Michael
    Regards,
    Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
      Currently, VBScript still works in HS3 (Windows only) and I may leave it in for now, maybe only for a while and then remove it later. The scripting API will have changes though so many scripts will still need to be modified. Also, VBScript's won't work at all on Linux so the downside of leaving it there is confusion for the user.
      Will there be support for C# in HS3? C# is supported in MONO. I like it better than VB.NET and I came from VB6. Big plus for me if C# is in. It would be worth the purchase of HS3 and rewriting ALL my scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by mmikem View Post
        Will there be support for C# in HS3? C# is supported in MONO. I like it better than VB.NET and I came from VB6. Big plus for me if C# is in. It would be worth the purchase of HS3 and rewriting ALL my scripts.
        C# is supported now.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
          I don't know what to expect to be honest, I have put some significant time into a number of plugins that I have mainly written for myself (five plugins out of the fifteen I am using I have never released for a number of reasons), and the other couple I have put on the forum that I may end up either not possesing the technical knowledge to or the time to actually change which leaves me stuck in a bit of a difficult corner and potentially place other people (perhaps not that many actually use the stuff I have wrote, but it is at least a few) in difficult positions aswell which is the last thing I want to do but might have no other choice.

How are the plugins going to be marketed? Will they be expressly sold as Linux Only/Windows Only/Both?

If/How are/what timescale are HS's plugins going to be converted over? I don't expect the Windows Media Player plugin is going to be running under Linux anytime soon but will a HS3 version be out for when HS3 gets released? If I have to wait 12 months for a HS3 WMP plugin then there is little if any point me upgrading, same with some other plugins.
          Yea, I've gotta sound off with a "me too" on this. My HS2 implementation has become something I count on now to control my home. Its quickly become much more than just a toy which is why I still run 2.4.0.11. Its been the most stable, even more so than 2.5.x.x...Upgrading to HS3 right now overnite would not be possible. I haven't created but a couple of plugins because of the time it take me to create one plus they run in the HS process space. I have created lots and lots of scripts and exe apps in c# that interface to HS. Not to mention all the plugins I have purchased. Not too keen on re-purchasing all those plugins again. That said, I am very interested in HS3. I am very excited about c# support though I am not sure what the reference to "later support" means I saw in the plugin development forum.

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
            Unless I am mistaken, Mono only supports 100% VB.NET managed code.

There could still be lots of other modifications even with VB.NET plugins/scripts i.e.

Dim Name As String="Robert"
            Dim X As Integer = Name.Length

Should work on both Windows/Mono but

Dim Name As String="Robert"
            Dim X As Integer = Len(Name)

Would fail under Mono but would work happily on Windows.
            Full C# support in MONO up to framework 4.0...This make me excited about HS3...99% of all my development is in C# both professionally and for my Homeseer implementation.

http://www.mono-project.com/CSharp_Compiler

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              C# is supported now.
              What?! Are you saying scripts in HS2 can be C#?! How was that kept secret?

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
                What?! Are you saying scripts in HS2 can be C#?! How was that kept secret?
                I think Rupp means c# plug-ins, not scripts, right Rupp?
                HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                  I think Rupp means c# plug-ins, not scripts, right Rupp?
                  Hmmm... Plug-ins are compiled. I would think they could be in Pascal or Fortran for that matter, if the IDE produced a DLL with the right signature. Seems to me it isn't HS that supports C# plug-ins, but rather VS.

Comment

Seems to me it isn't HS that supports C# plug-ins, but rather VS.
                    Visual Studio also supports C# plugins. But you'll have to write the template yourself (although I have seen one around here somewhere).
                    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Hmmm... Plug-ins are compiled. I would think they could be in Pascal or Fortran for that matter, if the IDE produced a DLL with the right signature. Seems to me it isn't HS that supports C# plug-ins, but rather VS.
                      Could be - I'll let Rupp say for sure. I dont recall ever seeing a C# script around here...
                      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Plugins are EXE's so you can write one in any language you want, including C#. I will probably include a C# version of the sample plugin, but there are many converters online that will convert vb.net to C#.

Right now we only support vb.net for scripts, but it should be fairly easy to support C#, I just need to test it.
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If I am not mistaken, Stipus has a plugin that can use C# scripts.

Here is a thread that seems to indicate this:
                          http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=137116

--Dan
                          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                            Right now we only support vb.net for scripts, but it should be fairly easy to support C#, I just need to test it.
                            This would be a very welcome addition. I have a very hard time with vb.net scripts since I've done all my coding in Java, C#, and C for the past 10 years. I struggle with the vb.net syntax (and I even used to teach VB6).

EDIT: I actually avoid writing scripts unless they're really simple because of this. I could/would do so much more if I could script in C#.
                            Last edited by reidfo; May 9, 2012, 07:20 PM.
                            HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                            Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                            Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                            Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Another vote for C# script support here. VB has always just feet wrong to me. Perhaps it's bad memories a job I had back in the early 90s where I had to use VB (and worse yet, I actually did most of my work on their legacy system which was in QuickBasic, ugh!).

Comment

I'm not a current plugin developer, but I'm dabbling with the idea. C# scripting support would be nice for sure -- it's the language I'm most familiar with.

rjh, when you said plugins are EXEs, did you really mean they would become standalone EXEs? How would that work compared to the object model I see now? Reading and writing from stdin/stdout would be an interesting approach.

Seperately, even though I don't have a use case for running Linux instead of Windows, it's really sweet to hear HS3 is going platform independent with Mono. I'm a huge Mono fan for a variety of reasons, but when you hear about what the Mono and Reflector guys had to go through to reverse engineer the MSIL binary format... well, you gain a lot of respect for those projects. I also use .NET Reflector at least once a day so that may also contribute to my respect for that project <3 RedGate.

Comment

Working...
                                X