Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HomeSeer HS3 Plugin Author Survey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    Yes, they are standalone EXE's and they communicate with HS through a TCP connection and 2-way WCF like communications. Plugins have the same access they had before to the HS object.

    Originally posted by thetonyg View Post
    I'm not a current plugin developer, but I'm dabbling with the idea. C# scripting support would be nice for sure -- it's the language I'm most familiar with.

    rjh, when you said plugins are EXEs, did you really mean they would become standalone EXEs? How would that work compared to the object model I see now? Reading and writing from stdin/stdout would be an interesting approach.

    Seperately, even though I don't have a use case for running Linux instead of Windows, it's really sweet to hear HS3 is going platform independent with Mono. I'm a huge Mono fan for a variety of reasons, but when you hear about what the Mono and Reflector guys had to go through to reverse engineer the MSIL binary format... well, you gain a lot of respect for those projects. I also use .NET Reflector at least once a day so that may also contribute to my respect for that project <3 RedGate.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

    Comment


      #77
      Originally posted by rjh View Post
      Yes, they are standalone EXE's and they communicate with HS through a TCP connection and 2-way WCF like communications. Plugins have the same access they had before to the HS object.
      Interesting approach. I agree, standalones will be much easier to debug and test -- and being able to run them remotely opens up some new possibilities for my install. I'm starting to get really stoked about HS3!

      Comment


        #78
        As time is ticking on it would be nice to know what sort of dates HS is aiming for, I know in the development FAQ it says once the survey is done the API will be finalised which was a month ago now - are we far from at least seeing the API now? Myself personally if I feel I can rewrite plugins based on what is in the API then I will need as much of a headstart as is possible.

        I know HST have said before they are reluctant to say exact dates (which I do understand why) is HS3 going to be released long after the API is or is it pretty much once the API is out HS3 will follow very quickly?

        Comment


          #79
          Just remembering the upgrade to HS2, doesn't seem that long ago, I'm still working my way through all my HS1 scripts to convert to VB.NET . Guess thats one task I can take off the list.

          Looking at this as a hobby, then a new challenge every now and then is OK, but many of us are time challenged, so finding 200 hours to learn new stuff, build a new development/test environment, convert everything to HS3, then implement and fix until stable ... that could take me years.

          So, am looking forwards to the challenge, but it will probably be about 3 years before I can start to do anything, so realistically it will be maybe 4 years before I can adopt HS3.

          When does HS4 come out?

          Comment


            #80
            Originally posted by rjh View Post
            Yes, they are standalone EXE's and they communicate with HS through a TCP connection and 2-way WCF like communications. Plugins have the same access they had before to the HS object.
            WCF ! Great! I've been writing all my component not as plugins but as standalone EXE written in C# for two years now. All I have to do is implement the WCF interface and I am up and running. WCF is the replacement to Microsofts Remoting which was the replacement for COM.

            I assume HS3 will be written for/in Framework 4.0 or 4.5?

            WCF is good news for me. A web service interface would be nice as well!

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by mmikem View Post
              WCF ! Great! I've been writing all my component not as plugins but as standalone EXE written in C# for two years now. All I have to do is implement the WCF interface and I am up and running. WCF is the replacement to Microsofts Remoting which was the replacement for COM.

              I assume HS3 will be written for/in Framework 4.0 or 4.5?

              WCF is good news for me. A web service interface would be nice as well!
              Don't go nuts just yet. He said "WCF like communication"...
              HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
              Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
              on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
              WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

              Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

              Comment


                #82
                Right, we are not using WCF as it is very slow, only one way (you can do 2 way but its messy), and WCF is not fully supported on MONO. So we are using a different framework that is easy to use and very fast. Remember, this has to work on low power systems. I doubt you will have a problem with it.

                We are developing under .NET 4.0, as that is supported on MONO.

                Originally posted by Moskus View Post
                Don't go nuts just yet. He said "WCF like communication"...
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

                Comment


                  #83
                  Thanks Rich! Can't wait to start playing with this.

                  Originally posted by rjh View Post
                  We are developing under .NET 4.0, as that is supported on MONO.
                  Yes! Loving that!
                  HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                  Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                  on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                  WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

                  Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

                  Comment


                    #84
                    Originally posted by rjh View Post
                    Right, we are not using WCF as it is very slow, only one way (you can do 2 way but its messy), and WCF is not fully supported on MONO. So we are using a different framework that is easy to use and very fast. Remember, this has to work on low power systems. I doubt you will have a problem with it.
                    So what is "WCF like" about it? Is it closer to Remoting, or maybe JSON or ProtoBuf? There are many open source RPC implementations out there now.

                    Comment


                      #85
                      It is TCP based and it simply gives you programmatic access to the HomeSeer API. So in your plugin you will have an "hs" object just line in HS2 so you can call back into HomeSeer's properties and methods. It actually works just like WCF would. It is connection oriented though and it automatically maintains the connection and it's 2way so HS can call into the plugin as needed. We provide a DLL that does all the work so you really don't need to deal with it. It is very lightweight so it will actually work on other platforms like IOS or Android (if we need it there).

                      Originally posted by mmikem View Post
                      So what is "WCF like" about it? Is it closer to Remoting, or maybe JSON or ProtoBuf? There are many open source RPC implementations out there now.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

                      Comment


                        #86

                        Comment


                          #87
                          And if I buy a full edition of HS2 now, will I have to pay a massive amount of money again in less than a year for HS3?
                          I think historically HST have offered some form of deal to upgrade, I upgraded from HS2 to HSPRO about two years ago (I think? Might be less) when they offered a very good deal considering all of the additional plugins you get. I would imagine a similar deal will be on the cards to entice people to move over to HS3.

                          I think your concern is one that is shared by many and there appears to be little in the way of answers, I'm going to bet that it might be at least a year until HS3 is stable and the existing HST plugins have been transferred over. I would imagine hardware will probably still work OK and HST's push seems to be in the direction of ZWave so you should be OK there.

                          According to this http://forums.homeseer.com/showthrea...=149522&page=3 the HS3 beta is still months away.

                          Comment


                            #88
                            Originally posted by rjh View Post
                            Plugins are EXE's so you can write one in any language you want, including C#. I will probably include a C# version of the sample plugin, but there are many converters online that will convert vb.net to C#.

                            Right now we only support vb.net for scripts, but it should be fairly easy to support C#, I just need to test it.
                            Can you definitively say at this point if HS3 will support C# for scripts? I have to choose between spending more time with VB.NET or going with C# for some other projects I am working on. If I knew HS3 will support C# scripts, I'll go that way with my other project.

                            Thanks!

                            Comment


                              #89
                              Originally posted by GatorEye View Post
                              Can you definitively say at this point if HS3 will support C# for scripts? I have to choose between spending more time with VB.NET or going with C# for some other projects I am working on. If I knew HS3 will support C# scripts, I'll go that way with my other project.

                              Thanks!
                              I would choose c#. I write in c# professionally and love it. Everything I have done personally for homeseer has been c# exe's using the interop libs. No plug-ins, I don't load homeseer down with plugins. EXE's work just as well (maybe better) as seperate processes. I understand that plugins for HS3 will be EXE's, not in-process DLLs. I am running homeseer v2.4.0.11, rock solid. I have written about a dozen exe's for homeseer.

                              Comment


                                #90
                                Originally posted by mmikem View Post
                                I would choose c#. I write in c# professionally and love it. Everything I have done personally for homeseer has been c# exe's using the interop libs. No plug-ins, I don't load homeseer down with plugins. EXE's work just as well (maybe better) as seperate processes. I understand that plugins for HS3 will be EXE's, not in-process DLLs. I am running homeseer v2.4.0.11, rock solid. I have written about a dozen exe's for homeseer.
                                Unfortunately I have limited free time to invest in advancing my knowledge in one language. Since I'm going to be writing scripts for HS3 when it comes out, I'd prefer to spend more time learning something I can use in multiple areas. I'd like to go with C#, but if HS3 doesn't support it for scripts, I'm going to have to spend more time brushing up on my VB.NET

                                I'm already spinning from trying to work on the web stack without add more stuff to figure out on the backend or application side.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X