HomeSeer HS3 Plugin Author Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer HS3 Plugin Author Survey

Rich has just sent out a survey with the changes from HS2 to HS3. Although I do not write plugins as such, it looks like I have significant work to do with conversion of my existing script packages.

For one, device status has gone!
    Jon

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
    Rich has just sent out a survey with the changes from HS2 to HS3. Although I do not write plugins as such, it looks like I have significant work to do with conversion of my existing script packages.

Jon, where is that survey?

Comment

It was sent by email to me.
      Jon

Comment

It was sent by email to me.
        ah, just found the email in my in-box as well
        Thanks
        Dirk

Comment

Oh yes... lots of plugins and LOTS of changes.
          Linux now as well.

I have a lot of work to do
          Cheers,
          Bob
          Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Ok, so for those of us who didn't make Rich's list but would obviously be interested, how do we get on the list?

Steve

Comment

Not real sure... In my case I'm a newcomer but have released a plugin for sale in the store and got the survey. I'm hoping HST decides to get rid of some of the legacy baggage that still hangs around in the APIs... I'll happily modify my code in order to have a better platform to write for in the future. Other folks like Blade who have LOTS of plugins may not feel the same way. I have only one at the moment.
              HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
              Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
              Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
              Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I have no issue updating my plugins as I think it will benefit everyone. I just hope HST releases a good detailed API doc that outlines the changes and what needs to be updated.

I do have a lot of work to do. I will likely start with the most used plugins (BLRadar, BLDSC, BLSpeech, etc)
                Cheers,
                Bob

Comment

Woah! I did not see that comming. Is it just device string and values now?
                  HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                  Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                  on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                  WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
                    Woah! I did not see that comming. Is it just device string and values now?
                    It looks that way
                    Cheers,
                    Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                      It looks that way
                      OK, I was just hoping for a more advanced version. Perhaps using List(Of T) or something like that...
                      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                      Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                      on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                      WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
                        OK, I was just hoping for a more advanced version. Perhaps using List(Of T) or something like that...
                        Or maybe storing a generic Object in a device...
                        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I added a link to the survey as a sticky in this forum, so if you did not get an email and have written a plugin for HS2, please take the survey for us.

Basically, we are trying to decide if we should create a compatibility EXE (like we did for 1.7) for HS2 DLL plugins. All plugins in HS3 are EXE plugins.

At some point it makes since to stop carrying baggage from old architectures and HS2 had a lot from 1.7. So one school of thought is to drop the old stuff and move on to a more streamlined and easier to use API. The survey lists the functions that will change. For the most part, the API is the same. The biggest proposed changes are in the Trigger/Actions/Condition UI. If you don't use these features, then the changes you need to implement are fairly minor. For Linux support, all plugins will need some changes, a compatibility EXE probably won't help there.

Support for COM is removed, so no COM based plugins will work (HS 1.7 plugins).

However, if plugin authors are NOT going to update plugins, that may mean that few users will update to HS3. That would not be ideal.

Scripts will have to change for sure due to the change in architecture. Also, since HS3 will support Linux VBScripts will not run at all on that platform, only vb.net scripts are supported.
                          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                            Scripts will have to change for sure due to the change in architecture. Also, since HS3 will support Linux VBScripts will not run at all on that platform, only vb.net scripts are supported.
                            I assume that means all .ASP pages will not be supported as well?

As devicestatus will go, would you consider a new script command hs.devicedata and hs.setdevicedata which could be used to store anything against that device?
                            Jon

Comment

ASP.NET is still supported (and supported on Linux). Old classic asp will not be supported since it will not work on Linux (it relied on the VBSCript engine). We do have new API's for building web pages that include a robust collection of screen elements that are Jquery based. This allows for dynamic HTML5 web pages.

We simply removed device status from devices, and now all devices only support device value, which is now a double (Yea!) (was an integer which has caused many issues). So all you need to do as add a device value pair that matches your old status (like ON=1, Off=0), and you have your old device status. Devices now use value pairs for all status and we have a new editor where you can edit the pairs as well as the graphics assigned to all values. It is a lot cleaner. If you worked with CAPI in HS2, this is the new API for device control and device status.

I will start an FAQ as I see many questions will be coming.

I assume that means all .ASP pages will not be supported as well?

As devicestatus will go, would you consider a new script command hs.devicedata and hs.setdevicedata which could be used to store anything against that device?
                              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                              X