Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin development... under Python?

Dear HomeSeer experts,

It's been a long time since I don't use HomeSeer. I still have some licenses around here from a couple of installations that I did when I worked in the Home Automation area, more than six years ago. I'm myself a Linux user but I've never had any problem in recommending this amazing (windows-based) software to any friend having asked me about good HA solutions.

I also developed some xAP-enabled embedded controllers in the past (opnodes) and choosing xAP instead of other alternatives was mainly motivated by the existence of some xAP plugins for HomeSeer. However, I come here today with a different (wireless) technology, entirely developed under Python on the computer side, which provides different ways of integration to third-party applications but no xAP at all. The easiest for me would be to use one of the following integration paths:

1. Develop a plugin for HomeSeer under Python, making use of our Python library to communicate with our wireless motes.

2. Develop a plugin for HomeSeer under any other language and communicate with our Python-based daemon via HTTP and ZeroMQ, which then communicates with the wireless network.

I admit that option 1 is my favorite since HomeSeer would stay closer to the wireless network. Moreover, installing the Python (IP) daemon on windows is sometimes a bit complicated due dependencies and the fact that windows users tend to prefer plug&play stuff. I've also read that HomeSeer now supports Python scripting in the same way it did with VBScript but I wonder if option 1 is possible or not.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Daniel.

Hi
    Homeseer is architected and based on .NET, and specifically .NET version 2. A plugin is code encapsulated in a .net .dll. As such, we're limited to the lanagues that .NET supports, like vb and C#. There are others, However I don't think python is one of them

If you wanted to do it, at a minimum, you'd need a .NET component to communicate from HS to logic in python. XAP is certainly one pathway to accomplish that if it fits the requirements of your applicaiton... or your option 2.

The .NET platform has been ported to Linux and HS3 is going to have a Linux version under .NET, so possibly something could be architected there, again XAP being a likely approach. HS3 is a ways off however.
    Paul

Comment

My bad. Microsoft offers IronPython and I did not know that. I would check that out and see how it fits your requirements

http://ironpython.net/
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
        My bad. Microsoft offers IronPython and I did not know that. I would check that out and see how it fits your requirements

http://ironpython.net/
        Interesting!! Thanks Paul!

Comment

Working...
        X