Using Tenscripting for plug in debugging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Tenscripting for plug in debugging

I have been successful in debugging scripts using this tool. What a great tool!

I bought the source for a plug in that doesn't seem to work for anyone and looking under the hood, I can understand why. It's like half of it is missing and / or commented out.

Anyway, I am having trouble figuring out how to step into the plug in code. I added the plugin as a project to the tenScripting solution and added a reference to it to the tenScripting project. If launches just fine, but HS2 never recognizes the plug in ( HS2 and dev box are separate ). I'm sure I am just missing some steps here but after a couple hours digging for a simple plugin sample using tenScripting I am at a dead end.

I should mention that I do have empty lists for Homeseer Log and Homeseer Events in the tenScripting GUI. But, since the scripts seem to work fine, I don't think that is related.

Would someone be so kind as to nudge a noob in the right direction? Once I can drop into the debugger, I'm golden.

Thx!
    Dave

I think I made some progress.

After dusting the cobwebs off of my ActiveX memories, I managed to run the sample plugin in debug mode by using "start external program" in the debug tab of the project properties and specifying homeseer.exe as the program to run on startup. It spun up the local HS2 installation ( per the settings ), but then gave me an error:

"You are attempting to run an unlicensed component. Please visit www.softwarekey.com for purchase information." If I run the local installation on its own, it fires up fine. So it acts like the sample plugin is what's complaining about a key. I verified the AccessLevel implementation is returning 1.

Any idea what I'm still missing?

Comment

Ahh...
      http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=138747&highlight=www.softwarekey.com

Does anyone have that .reg file?

Comment

Rats. I found this thread that had the reg file and build instructions but am still having the same problem. I verified that the entry was made with regedit. No love.

Comment

You really do not need to use tenScripting to debug plugins under HS3. HS3 plugins run as .exe files, and connect to HS3 themselves, either locally or remotely. If you place the .exe file in the HS3 folder, than HS3 will start the plugin during HS3 startup, and the code in the .exe plugin will connect.

If you run remotely, just run the .exe and it connects the same way.

Therefore, you do not need tenScripting scaffolding for your plugin. Just load it into VS and run it!

tenholde
          tenholde

Comment

Thanks for the input. I also have an HS3 instance running for experimenting, but I'm not quite ready to make that plunge. I have the same plug in working and debugging in HS3, but this is for HS2.

Surely this is a rookie plight, but one of you seer masters should be able to set me straight.

Comment

OK, after speaking with HS this morning, it seems the issue is that I am running 64 bit Windows and the registry key was installed to the 32 bit registry hive.

Running regedit with "%systemroot%\syswow64\regedit" to make sure I have the 64 bit version and importing the key from there did the trick. Debug is working.

If someone needs to wrench on a plugin for HS2, this may save you some grief.

Comment

Working...
              X