X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 script help

Attached Files
    -Rick

hs.DeviceValue in HS3 would like a device reference rather than a device code, myself I would avoid really bothering with the address/code unless you really need to and just stick with the reference. Looking at the help files none of the built in functions for getting a device value want a code at all so I would just pass the reference in and it should work.

Comment

Hi Rick,

I you click on the Advanced tab of that device, you'll see the reference id. This is now what the DeviceValue function uses. So change "q29" to that reference id without any quotations and it should work.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks - I have my first HS3 scripting success as seen in the attached tiny accomplishment.!

Next question. In the "grown-up" (at least more grown-up than mine) coding world I'm concluding that I should use one type or scripting/language (VBScript, vb.net, etc - not quite sure how to call it over all others. Previously, I think most of my efforts would be (or are) VBScript and I think it's likely the least desirable variant. I would like to have suggestions of which one to standardize on although I think it's likely vb.net considering my limitations and its similarity to VBScript.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to what is needed in each program (.asp or .vb is just a script) to do this? One of the improvement I would like is to get away from is VBScripts simplistic definition (of (dim) variables and having no control over the type (string, long integer, etc) of the variable.

For example, I have this line in my asp <%@ Language=VBScript %> and it needs to change to what - vb.net? Also are there other entries that I need to add to make my files vb.net that are needed to allow access to home sewer's API's - if that the right lingo. Feeling way out of my comfort zone and worry that I am not even stating the problem clearly enough for help...
        Attached Files
        -Rick

Comment

I personally find ASP (which is VBScript) and ASP.Net (which is VB.Net) a bit of a jump in terms of what is required for the end result. Where you can get away with it (IE you are not running Linux) and you are doing something simple like just displaying a load of device status's then if you can I would just keep the ASP pages. ASP.Net has a place and can be more powerful but at the expense of being a bit more complex.

Comment

Working...
          X