Instr function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instr function

I receive weather alerts info from a plugin. The titles associated with the alert are not very descriptive. I am trying to grab the title form the first part of the alert string.
    Code:
    FirstAlert =...Dense fog advisory remains in effect until 10 am EST Monday... Weather... widespread fog, with areas of dense fog, will persist into the overnight hours. Northeast winds around 5 mph. Impacts... locations impacted by dense fog will have surface visibilities of one quarter of a mile or less with localized visibilities near zero. However, highly variable visibilities can be expected. Precautionary/preparedness actions... motorists are urged to use caution and account for variable driving conditions by slowing down and allowing extra time.
    I have tried Title = Left(FirstAlert,InStr(FirstAlert,"... Weather")), but it does it does not work. It return a blank title.

What am I doing incorrectly & or is there a better way to accomplish this ?
    Larry

Looks correct, but I would use the substring function going forward (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...code-snippet-2) for vb.net, or potentially regular expressions. You may have some HTML or other hidden characters embedded in the string.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by lpcalcaterra View Post
      I receive weather alerts info from a plugin. The titles associated with the alert are not very descriptive. I am trying to grab the title form the first part of the alert string.
      Code:
      FirstAlert =...Dense fog advisory remains in effect until 10 am EST Monday... Weather... widespread fog, with areas of dense fog, will persist into the overnight hours. Northeast winds around 5 mph. Impacts... locations impacted by dense fog will have surface visibilities of one quarter of a mile or less with localized visibilities near zero. However, highly variable visibilities can be expected. Precautionary/preparedness actions... motorists are urged to use caution and account for variable driving conditions by slowing down and allowing extra time.
      I have tried Title = Left(FirstAlert,InStr(FirstAlert,"... Weather")), but it does it does not work. It return a blank title.

What am I doing incorrectly & or is there a better way to accomplish this ?
      Is there a space between the ... and Weather?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

thanks guys. I modified the script to use substring.
        Larry

Comment

Working...
        X