Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I biting off too much

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    I think the confusion is that by selecting "Rain Today" from the HS Touch Current device, I am working with a virtual device. It gets its info from the plug-in.

    Then just before midnight I copy that number to my virtual device Rain yesterday. I then proceed to flip all the days back one and do some math. All of this, I haven't done yet but I'm on my way. I think

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by racerfern View Post
      I think the confusion is that by selecting "Rain Today" from the HS Touch Current device, I am working with a virtual device. It gets its info from the plug-in.

      Then just before midnight I copy that number to my virtual device Rain yesterday. I then proceed to flip all the days back one and do some math. All of this, I haven't done yet but I'm on my way. I think
      You are correct, but make sure you copy from the 2nd oldest (your virtual device) to the oldest (your virtual devices) first and then 3rd oldest to 2nd oldest etc, all the way up to today's rain (from the plugin) to Yesterday's rain (your virtual device). Otherwise you're going to lose everything
      cheeryfool

      Comment


        #18
        Yes, I am copying "backwards" so as not to lose data. That, I clearly understand.
        Set 4 to 3
        Set 3 to 2, etc.

        Now if it would only rain so I could see some data move, test the sum of days of rain and come up with an algorithm. I'm getting there.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by racerfern View Post
          Now if it would only rain so I could see some data move, test the sum of days of rain and come up with an algorithm. I'm getting there.
          If you set your virtual devices to BOTH in the Status-Control section of the Status Grpahics tab, with a type of text box, you should be able to set temporary values for the devices from the main Device Management screen. Then you can run your copy device value, sum and/or average events to test things out.
          cheeryfool

          Comment


            #20
            Yeah, that had me confused. If I set to Value2 is two then the value or the text "Value2"?

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by racerfern View Post
              Yeah, that had me confused. If I set to Value2 is two then the value or the text "Value2"?
              The word "Value" is set in the device Status/Graphics as the range prefix. For your use you would probably blank the prefix. If it is rain in inches you could change the Suffix to " inches", note the space before the i. When wou enter the value in the text box, you simply enter the numeric value to set the device. If you set it up with " inches" as the suffix and enter 1.1 in the textbox, the value of the device is 1.1, the status text in the left column will read "1.1 inches".

              This thread goes through the setup of a virtual device:
              https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=181973
              Randy Prade
              Aurora, CO
              Prades.net

              PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

              Comment


                #22
                Thanks to @cheeryfool and @rprade. Now I understand better, hopefully well enough to make it work.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Can someone tell me why this event ran on a Friday?
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                    Can someone tell me why this event ran on a Friday?
                    In the first event you need to check 'Run Only if other Event Conditions are TRUE' where you call the second event. We've all done that many times, you'd expect that to be the default option.

                    Steve

                    Comment


                      #25
                      In the first event you need to check 'Run Only if other Event Conditions are TRUE' where you call the second event.
                      I feel like a three year old. Why? Isn't that the purpose of "AND IF"

                      And why in the first event and not in the second event? You're telling me that the first event is going to check and confirm that all the conditions in the second event are met before the first event even runs? If that's the case then I won't get my rain total accumulation on the other days of the week.

                      Confused.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                        I feel like a three year old. Why? Isn't that the purpose of "AND IF"

                        And why in the first event and not in the second event? You're telling me that the first event is going to check and confirm that all the conditions in the second event are met before the first event even runs? If that's the case then I won't get my rain total accumulation on the other days of the week.

                        Confused.
                        The second event doesn't affect anything in the first event. It's just that when you run an event as an action you have an option as to whether the conditions in the event you are calling are honoured or not. So when you call the second event from the first, without checking that option, it just runs the action (Then) of the second event without checking any of the conditions (And Ifs) in the second event. It might seem daft as why would you ever not want the conditions to be checked, but that is the way it is. Many times people have asked for the default to be swapped so it would honour the conditions unless you tell it not to.

                        The first event will run and give you your rain total accumulation on the other days of the week whatever. It isn't affected.

                        Read through Randy's excellent Event Clinic he explains it all much better than I can.

                        Steve

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Weird, but it is what it is. Just like there isn't any "else" command like every other language I've ever known, but I'm old school.

                          Thanks for the explanation.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X