Word of the Day Script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word of the Day Script

My WOTD script hasn't been working for the last month or so....

I was getting the rss feed from:

http://dictionary2.classic.reference...heday/wotd.rss

But Dictionary.com seems to not be publishing the rss feed anymore?

Anyone have an alternate script or feed for WOTD?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,

Andrew B.

Hi Andrew ,

here you go

regards
    Attached Files
    Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
    Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Comment

Malosa,

I notice the script is encrypted..

I'm a little leary of running an encrypted script on my machine that I am unsure of the source. (having never used any of your work in the past).. let me think about it a bit. (no offense intended)

Thank you though for your efforts.
      Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

This sounds like a great idea! If it all works out would someone please chime in? It could be a nice compliment to the weather (Weather XML) and my horoscope (jon00 horoscope something or other) being read to me when I pry myself out of bed in the morning.
        Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Don't worry,

I'm a very long time on this forum , nobody had ever a problem with my scripts..

Just run it , it won't delete your hd haha.

Regards , and im glad to help

Originally posted by ArbWare View Post
          Malosa,

I notice the script is encrypted..

I'm a little leary of running an encrypted script on my machine that I am unsure of the source. (having never used any of your work in the past).. let me think about it a bit. (no offense intended)

Thank you though for your efforts.

Comment

What kind of script do you want ?

U want a script that it reads the data of weather xml and jon00 horoscope b4 u go to bed ?

regards

Originally posted by S-F View Post
            This sounds like a great idea! If it all works out would someone please chime in? It could be a nice compliment to the weather (Weather XML) and my horoscope (jon00 horoscope something or other) being read to me when I pry myself out of bed in the morning.

Comment

Malosa,

I tried running the script... but i must not understand what it is doing..
              I expected it to read the WOTD, (hopefully spell it)... then give the definition over speaker client.

I have the following in the log..

Any thoughts?
              Code:
              Oct-11 1:30:08 PM           WOTD     Done!
              Oct-11 1:30:08 PM           WOTD     Arcadian
              Oct-11 1:30:03 PM           WOTD     Updating word of the day
              Oct-11 1:30:03 PM           Event     Running script and waiting: C:/Program Files (x86)/HomeSeer HS3/scripts/WOTD.vben
              Oct-11 1:30:03 PM           Event     Event Trigger "Alarm Clock Word of the day"
              Oct-11 1:30:03 PM           Event     Event Alarm Clock Word of the day triggered by the event page 'Run' button.
              Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

aah u want it to let it speak trough the speaker client ?
                I don't know how to let it spell

Malosa,

I tried running the script... but i must not understand what it is doing..
                I expected it to read the WOTD, (hopefully spell it)... then give the definition over speaker client.

I have the following in the log..

Any thoughts?
                Code:
                Oct-11 1:30:08 PM           WOTD     Done!
                Oct-11 1:30:08 PM           WOTD     Arcadian
                Oct-11 1:30:03 PM           WOTD     Updating word of the day
                Oct-11 1:30:03 PM           Event     Running script and waiting: C:/Program Files (x86)/HomeSeer HS3/scripts/WOTD.vben
                Oct-11 1:30:03 PM           Event     Event Trigger "Alarm Clock Word of the day"
                Oct-11 1:30:03 PM           Event     Event Alarm Clock Word of the day triggered by the event page 'Run' button.

Comment

In the past.. I've done it like this. Wrap "<Spell>" tags around it in the hs.speak line.

Code:
                  hs.speak("The word of the day is,   " & "thisisatest" & ".    " & "Thisisatest" & " is spelled,   <SPELL>"& "Thisisatest"&" </SPELL>", true)
                  I can probably rewrite my existing script... if I had a good rss feed.

What RSS feed are you using for yours?
                  Last edited by ArbWare; October 18, 2017, 04:06 PM.
                  Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Got It...

using the wordmith.org rss feed... the following script does what i am looking for.

Code:
                    Imports System.IO
                    'Imports System.Xml
                    Sub Main(parm as object)
                        Dim m_xmld As XmlDocument
                        Dim m_node As XmlNode
                        Dim splData As String()
                        Dim Definition As String()

m_xmld = New XmlDocument
                        m_xmld.Load("https://wordsmith.org/awad/rss1.xml")

m_node = m_xmld.SelectSingleNode("rss/channel/item/description")

splData = Split(m_node.InnerText, ":")

Definition = Split(splData(1), "<")

m_node = m_xmld.SelectSingleNode("rss/channel/item/title")

spldata(0) = m_node.InnerText

hs.speak("The word of the day is,   " & splData(0) & ".    " & splData(0) & " is spelled,   <SPELL>"& splData(0)&" </SPELL>", true)

hs.Speak(",          The definition of   " & splData(0) & "  is,    " & Definition(0), True)

End Sub
                    Posted here for others use if they need
                    Last edited by ArbWare; October 23, 2017, 05:54 AM. Reason: Edit script, remove unneeded line
                    Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Thanks for the script. It is working great for me after I added:
                      Dim Definition As String()

I also made this adjustment to slow down the spelling part.
                      <rate speed='-8'><SPELL>"& splData(0)&" </SPELL><rate speed='8'>
                      Last edited by spike5884; October 21, 2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

It doesn't spell the word for me, it just says it again. I added Dim Definition As String() up at the top but have no idea where I'd add the code to slow it down. I guess it doesn't matter right now as it doesn't spell it any way. Any ideas?

Comment

Thank you Spike, i must have been overzealous in my attempt to clean up the code for posting. I edited and correccted the post above.

S-F
                          I don't know if the spelling is i my voices ( they are SAPI, Neospeach Paul), or if it is something else.

I have my speaker client running on a win xp machine ... not sure if that matters.

try putting the following in a immediate control panel command

&hs.speak "<spell> hello </spell>"

When i do that.. it spells hello.

If it just says "hello"... without spelling... maybe someone from Homeseer (or someone more versed in Speaker Client) can chime in?
                          Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Originally posted by spike5884 View Post

I also made this adjustment to slow down the spelling part.
                            <rate speed='-8'><SPELL>"& splData(0)&" </SPELL><rate speed='8'>
                            I learned something new... I had never heard of or used the </rate speed='-8'> tags.. i'll have to play with that a bit I've had several occaisions over the years when i wanted to do this .

Thanks very much.
                            Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Thank you Spike, i must have been overzealous in my attempt to clean up the code for posting. I edited and correccted the post above.

S-F
                              I don't know if the spelling is i my voices ( they are SAPI, Neospeach Paul), or if it is something else.

I have my speaker client running on a win xp machine ... not sure if that matters.

try putting the following in a immediate control panel command

&hs.speak "<spell> hello </spell>"

When i do that.. it spells hello.

If it just says "hello"... without spelling... maybe someone from Homeseer (or someone more versed in Speaker Client) can chime in?

It just says hello. I'm on Windows myself. It might be due to the fact that I'm using BLSpeech. Not sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X