Convert HS3 DeviceString to DeviceValue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert HS3 DeviceString to DeviceValue

Hi I thought this would be easy and I can usually work my way through it by reading all the posts here, but this has me stumped for the past couple of days

I am scraping websites for current exchange rates of crypto currencies. I am successful at extracting just the current amounts from the sites and they are assigned as devicestrings using the webscraper app I have had when it first come out.

How do I convert this devicestring to a devicevalue in a script so I can perform some simple math functions and update virtual devices with my results?

I do have what appears to be a true number as the device string doesn't appear to have any html tags embedded in it.

Secondly, is it possible to convert a fraction of an integer to a device value to use in my equations? Some of the currencies are only .05 and .10 cents each.

Thanks for your help

Will

this might help

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=750338

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by will40 View Post
      Hi I thought this would be easy and I can usually work my way through it by reading all the posts here, but this has me stumped for the past couple of days

I am scraping websites for current exchange rates of crypto currencies. I am successful at extracting just the current amounts from the sites and they are assigned as devicestrings using the webscraper app I have had when it first come out.

How do I convert this devicestring to a devicevalue in a script so I can perform some simple math functions and update virtual devices with my results?

I do have what appears to be a true number as the device string doesn't appear to have any html tags embedded in it.

Secondly, is it possible to convert a fraction of an integer to a device value to use in my equations? Some of the currencies are only .05 and .10 cents each.

Thanks for your help

Will
      You have a couple of options, I would suggest trying either Convert.ToDecimal or Decimal.TryParse - the latter is a bit more forgiving in that it won't throw an exception if it can't convert it to a decimal however the former is just a slight bit more straightforward.

So you might do something like this for example

Code:
      Dim CurrentValue As Decimal

CurrentValue = Convert.ToDecimal(hs.devicestring(1234))

CurrentValue = CurrentValue + 0.5

hs.writelog("", CurrentValue)

hs.setdevicevaluebyref(1234, CurrentValue, True)
      If it throws an error then there may be hidden text/special characters in it that need to be removed. HS device values are doubles so you don't have to worry about whole numbers.

Comment

Very nice mrhappy. Your convert to Decimal works perfectly.

Thank you!!

Comment

Working...
        X